Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Need some music recommendations

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-02, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I'm looking for particular stuff. I'm not really sure how to describe what I'm looking for... But I'll try.

I'm looking for folk music.. but not necessarily "Bob Dylan" folk music... I'm looking for stuff like Jugband music. I kind of want to hear some revival stuff..

Ok, for the most part I hate country music.. or at least modern country music. But, I'd like to hear more stuff like the Soggy Bottom Boys (Oh Brother Where Art Thou?).

I've heard there are a lot of revivalist bands doing stuff like that, and jugband music, etc.

I'd like to hear some stuff that uses "traditional" instruments like banjos, fiddles, mandolins, etc.

I don't mind (and probably would appreciate) stuff that's mixed with other music styles (rock, punk, etc)

Even some english/irish or almost any other folk influenced music would be cool.

Here's some "folk/country-influenced" music I like (not necessarily what I'm looking for):

Bob Dylan
Donovan
Filthy Thieving Bastards
The Pogues
Creedence Clearwater
The Tossers
Violent Femmes (kind of)
Flogging Molly
"Soggy Bottom Boys"
The Band
Swingin' Utters
Social Distortion
Dropkick Murphys
Old 03-01-02, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tarbox Ramblers

Here's a review from Allmusic.com about their debut and only CD:

A longtime Boston club favorite, the Tarbox Ramblers show why on this very impressive debut. A true musical amalgam, the Ramblers play an intoxicating hybrid of pre-World War II black and white hillbilly songs, blues, and gospel music. Their instrumentation consists of fiddle, string bass, wildly thudding drums, and electric slide guitar played in open tuning, but that only begins to scratch the surface of the band's wonderfully eclectic sound and style. Singer/guitarist/leader Michael Tarbox's vocals are anguished and bluesy without ever once being mannered, gliding from hillbilly to ancient blues effortlessly. The band swing when the tune calls for it, and play like cavemen when needed; this is the type of record that'll make you get up and dance. If you're looking for a roots music album that's got something really different to offer, this is it. -- Cub Koda
Personally, I love the album. I'm waiting for them to come back to the midwest.

They also have a song in mp3 format on their website www.tarboxramblers.com in the "listen" section.
Old 03-01-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've downloaded a few songs. They're pretty cool.
Old 03-01-02, 01:15 PM

Cool, I'm glad. I think their label, Rounder Records, has a lot of stuff in the same vein.

www.rounder.com

Their site is a bit of a mess, but they have a big selection.
Old 03-01-02, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I am totally into John Wesley Harding. His music's kind of folky, yet sometimes it isn't. His voice sounds kind of like Elvis Costello's at times and he's got quite a sense of humor. Check out his album Awake - it's great (and recently it was expanded into a deluxe edition).

Some of my favorite songs of his:
"Here Comes the Groom," "The Devil in Me," "You're No Good," "Where the Bodies Are," pretty much every song on Awake, "Humble Bee," "Old Girlfriends," "Too Much Into Nothing."

Some of his more folky songs: "Things Snowball," "Red Rose and the Briar," "Ordinary Weekend," "Warning Parental Advisory (w/ Steve Wynn)," "Peeling Bark."

You can find his website here.

Whoops - just re-read your post. I don't think he uses many (if any) "traditional" instruments. He does good stuff, though.
Old 03-01-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Download some Bela Fleck, I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but it's good stuff
Old 03-01-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
OK, I've re-read your post. Not necessarily country, but I've downloaded a few traditional Irish songs by the Dubliners that uses the kind of instruments that you listed (except the jug). Check out their version of "Tell Me Ma."

The Squirrel Nut Zippers uses those instruments, but they are more hot jazz, I guess.

BTW, do you like Black 47? Talk about a mix of styles: Celtic, rock, reggae, some hip-hop. They are all over the place.

I'm a big fan of Great Big Sea's album Turn, but I haven't heard much of their older stuff. It may be up your alley.

Sorry none of this is really country.
Old 03-01-02, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not very familiar with this kind of stuff either (I'm more into acoustic blues like Leadbelly or Mississippi John Hurt), but since it sounds like you're looking to download samples & not spending money yet, I don't mind posting.

I think you should use the O Brother soundtrack as a guide. If you liked Ralph Stanley, look up older Stanley Brothers songs. If you liked In the Jailhouse Now, listen to the original version by Jimmie Rodgers. Man of Constant Sorrow has been covered by many, many people over the years. You should be able to find several different versions. The singer on O Brother's version (Dan Tyminski) is in Alison Krauss & Union Station (I haven't gotten into them yet). The Fairfield Four have some really good gospel recordings & they sang backup on John Fogerty's excellent Hundred & Ten in the Shade. Lastly, the soundtrack turned me on to Gillian Welch. I now have all 3 of her albums & they are fantastic - usually just 2 guitars, but occasionally there is a band or a banjo.

Also check out the Delmore Brothers. & get "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" by Flatt & Scruggs.

Since you mentioned The Pogues & Irish folk, I recommend a very underrated 1990 Bob Geldof album called The Vegetarians of Love. It's a bunch of Irish guys trying to play Cajun. It's got accordion , violin, etc. - a nice mix. My favorite track is probably The Great Song of Indifference.
Old 03-01-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have you heard the Electrics? It's not your typical CCM at all. Similar to the Pogues. I love this band. Also, the Saw Doctors from Ireland are pretty good. Saw them in concert two weeks ago. They actually have the biggest selling single in Irish history (yes, I'm including U2, Van Morrison, Sinead, etc.).

I'm also a BIG fan of Buddy Miller. He and his wife Julie are peachy keen. Great lyrics. I think Buddy's "Poison Love" Cd is one of the best country discs I've ever heard (but it might be too country for ya!)
Old 03-01-02, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully I remember to check this thread on monday, cause I have a lot of stuff to download.

btw, I'm not necessarily looking for country or even countrish stuff -- I guess I'm looking for a wide variety of stuff. Everything from... the kind of stuff the hillbillies on Andy Griffith show would play to the Pogues and Flogging Molly.

I'm just kind of interested in folk & folk influenced music. And when I use the work "Folk" I don't mean modern folk (though I don't mind those recommendation).. but like old American folk (jugbands, etc), Irish Folk, etc.

And, I think it would be awesome if it was mixed with other styles too -- i.e. check out Filthy Thieving Bastards.

Also, they don't have to use "traditional" instruments.. its just a nice touch.

DJ
I've heard of the Dubliners, and I have a copy of "Tell Me Ma" by the Tossers which is cool. I like that song.

I also like the Squirrel Nut Zippers, though they're not quite what I'm looking for.

I actually have a Black 47 CD but I was having a hard time getting into them... maybe they're a little too ecclectic.

atlantamoi

Electrics? No, but it sounds really cool. If you like the Pogues, check out: Flogging Molly, The Tossers, and Filthy Thieving Bastards.
Old 03-01-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you mentioned the Soggy Bottom Boys, you need to check out Allison Krauss and Union Station (the real band).

Their newest, "New Favorite" is fantastic, and Allison Krauss "Now That I Found You" is her greatest hits (up to 1997?) and is fantastic. She has the best voice in music today.

Also, on the folkish side, John Prine is a great listen. Nancy Griffith has some good stuff.

Not the same style, but in the same vein of several of the bands you mentioned: Son Volt and Wilco, Wilco being the better of the two.

If you want acoustic guitar: Patty Griffith.

Last edited by Three Day Delay; 03-01-02 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-01-02, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ooooh yeah! John Prine "The Missing Years". Wow, what a great recording.

The Bad Livers (Austin band) might fall into what you are looking for.
Old 03-01-02, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sounds like the alt-country genre might appeal to you. Especially based on your comment about traditional instruments and other influences, like punk.

The definitive band that fits part of your interest would be Uncle Tupelo. They started a genre. One of the most important bands of our time. Anyway, start with them as their influence can't be overstated.

Three of the four Uncle Tupelo albums are appropriately labeled 'essential recordings' at Amazon. Though all are from the early 90s, three are out of print. However, there is an anthology being released in March followed by remastered re-releases of the OOP titles. Anodyne is available, and should be a part of any serious music library. I would also actively seek out March 16-20, 1991 (mostly early traditional songs, produced by Peter Buck), and Still Feel Gone (a mandolin punk masterpiece with the best drum work of the 90s).

See if these descriptions of their four albums interest you:

No Depression
Amazon.com essential recording
The album that named a movement (and a magazine), No Depression rocks and twangs in just about equal measure, though the rock side wins out most of the time. Even when a song downshifts from full-on punk to banjo- and mandolin-graced interludes, it usually shifts back again, seemingly even louder and angrier than before. Beyond the influential sound, though, are some great songs--whether they're raging originals like "Graveyard Shift," where the job's literally a killer; an earnest, acoustic cover of the Carter Family's title track; or a decidedly desperate portrait of Leadbelly's "John Hardy." --David Cantwell
March 16-20, 1992
After ripping it up on No Depression and Still Feel Gone, their first two albums of twangy punk rock, Uncle Tupelo unplugged for this remarkable tribute--half originals, half political and religious covers--to the band's old-time influences. While the new songs of frontmen Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy are consistently strong here (especially Farrar's "Grindstone"), it's the album's haunted covers of old folksongs that are the true keepers. Tweedy's apocalyptic version of "Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down" and Farrar's earnest readings of the beat-down "Moonshiner" and the labor song "Coalminers" are as frightening, beautiful, and passionate as anything the band ever recorded. --David Cantwell
Still Feel Gone
Amazon.com
Before March 16-20, 1992 secured Uncle Tupelo as Commanders in Chief of the alt country assault during the early '90s, Still Feel Gone stated emphatically that this foursome are no musical tumbleweeds. Though twangy, lap-steel-heavy ditties like "Watch Me Fall" and "Still Be Around" cradle a country heart, the bulk of this disc is a nod to Uncle Tupelo's garage and punk rock heritage. The songs find their hooks in the twittery vocals of Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy, but beware the rapid fire drumming from Mike Heidorn. When Uncle Tupelo fires up it's tribute to late-Minuteman D. Boon, you'll realize there's more to these country boys than meets the ear. --Nick Heil
Anodyne
Before Anodyne, Uncle Tupelo already had one masterpiece in 1991's noisy and tense Still Feel Gone, but this album, the band's major-label debut, had even grander ambitions. Replacing the group's grungy guitar with soaring lap and pedal-steel fills, plus fiddle and mandolin breaks both sweet and raucous, Anodyne is overflowing with a spacious grandeur that alludes to, and then makes it own, everything from the Band and the Stones and Neil Young (both as a solo artist and with Crazy Horse) to old Acuff-Rose songs--all of which is just to say that it's among the best roots-rock records ever made. --David Cantwell
Of course, Uncle Tupelo spawned Wilco and Son Volt. Both incredibly relevant, though less mythical bands. And Jay Farrar's new disc Sebastopol is well worth your attention. And the first song on Son Volt's first disc Trace, called Windfall, is believed by many to be one of the best ever recorded and speaks directly to your subject.

For a possible plethora of ideas, I would strongly suggest picking up No Depression magazine. You can give it a look at Border's stores. http://www.nodepression.net/

Btw, that magazine takes it's name from the first Uncle Tupelo album, which takes it's name from the A.P. Carter song of the 1930s (and many of it's components take their names from UT songs).

And you mention CCR, UT were known to cover CCR during encores and recorded an amazingly loud version of Effigy on a compilation disc.

Okay, so here's some ideas:

Uncle Tupelo
Son Volt
Jay Farrar
Wilco
16 Horsepower
Bill Monroe (godfather of bluegrass)
Lucinda Williams
Steve Earle
Townes Van Zant
The Flatlanders (Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Butch Hancock, Joe Ely)
Richard Buckner
John Prine
Emmylou Harris
Gram Parsons (and early Flying Burrito Brothers)
Whiskeytown (Ryan Adam's old band)
Kelly Willis
Gillian Welsh
Dave Alvin
Calexico
Doo Rag
Kasey Chambers
Jayhawks
Bottle Rockets
Sparklehorse
Joe Henry (especially Short Man's Room w/Jayhawks)
Freakwater
John Wesley Harding
Billy Bragg
Chris Whitley
Mazzy Star
Elliot Smith
Blue Rodeo
Backsliders
The Knitters (includes John Doe, Exene Cervenka, Dave Alvin, more)
Cowboy Junkies
Cat Power
Handsome Family
Palace (Will Oldham)
Giant Sand
Waco Brothers
Steve Pride
Tim Rogers (You Am I)

so many more...

None of those bands are related to mainstream country, thankfully.

Since you liked O Brother, you would probably like Steve Earle and The Del McCoury Band collaboration The Mountain:

The Mountain
Amazon.com's Best of 1999
When country-rock icon Steve Earle teamed with blazing bluegrass act the Del McCoury Band, the result was more invigoratingly intense than even die-hard fans could have imagined. These energetic songs somehow sound innovative and timeless at the same time, merging the finest, first-person-narrated politico tunes of Springsteen or Dylan with the plaintive, hard-driving mountain wails of the Stanley Brothers and Bill Monroe. Whew. --Mike McGonigal
The Mountain
Even if it does begin with a jokey incantation of the Mickey Mouse theme song ("M-I-C-K-E-Y..."), The Mountain is Steve Earle's most traditional album, pairing country rock's most notorious miscreant with the best working band in bluegrass. Earle was inspired by a chance meeting with the late bluegrass pioneer Bill Monroe, and this is his self-declared stab at musical immortality. It is easy to imagine these 14 songs sounding as good 40 years from now as they do today. The mood varies widely from triple-time breakdowns to bluesy shuffles to meditative waltzes, but there's not a missed note or strained chorus anywhere. As Earle states at the outset, "If you want to be in the band, you have to put your hat on," and the one he's wearing, at least figuratively, is 10 gallon-plus. --Keith Moerer

Last edited by reverb; 03-01-02 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-01-02, 09:07 PM

You might like The Word. Here's and excerpt from the website:

The WORD was largely inspired by a centuries-old style of gospel music dubbed "Sacred Steel," which has been documented through a series of recordings on the Arhoolie label. The music is an homage to the venerable House of God (a Pentecostal church known for its’ bluesy style of gospel hymns played on the steel guitar) whose music- driven worship services are both divine and celebratory.

and here's some live mp3s.
Old 03-02-02, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Music for the unwashed and well-read.

I strongly recommend the Gourds. These guys make the best Americana/roots music currently being recorded in my opinion. You might know em' by their bluegrass version of "Gin & Juice" but there's so much more to them than that.

Here's their AMG bio:

The Gourds are a good-time, honky tonkin' band with enough quirk and underground appeal to more than earn the "alternative" in "alternative country-rock band." Part of Austin's vibrant scene and popular performers at the city's national music showcase SXSW, the Gourds first gained the attention of the No Depression crowd with the drunken porch jam sound of their debut Dem's Good Beeble (1997). The band's quirks came out more on their follow-up, Stadium Blitzer (1998), with songs of questionable subject matter (not offensive, just truly befuddling) like the title track and "Plaid Coat" and the goofiness of "I Ate the Haggis." Later that year, the Gourds broke through to college radio with a couple of covers on the live EP Gogitchershinebox. While their cover of "Ziggy Stardust" may have raised some eyebrows, it was the Gourds' galloping twang remake of Snoop Dogg's "Gin and Juice" that really captured listeners' imaginations. Unfortunately, the demise of Watermelon Records took their recordings out of print right after their third album, Ghosts of Hallelujah, was released by the label in 1999. Happily, Sugar Hill Records stepped in, and without missing a beat, the Gourds fourth album, Bolsa de Agua, came out the following year. Over the next year, Sugar Hill also reissued the rest of the Gourds' catalog.The Texas group started out with multi-instrumentalist/vocalists Kevin Russell and Jimmy Smith, who also share songwriting duties, accordionist Claude Bernard, and drummer Charlie Llewellin. In late 1997/early 1998, Llewellin was replaced by a longtime friend of the band, Keith Langford, who was kicked out of the Damnations when his bandmates saw that he wanted to join the Gourds, but might feel too bad about quitting to actually leave them. After playing banjo, fiddle, and more on Ghosts of Hallelujah, Max Johnston became the newest member of the band. ~ Joslyn Layne, All Music Guide
And here's a few album reviews:

for Bolsa de Agua

Amazon.com's Best of 2000
On Bolsa de Agua, more a backyard hootenanny than a meticulous studio creation, the Gourds threw a party where everyone got drunk and wrestled around in the dirt. Propelled by comfortably drawling, catchy alt-country and the band's loopy lyrics and smart-ass sensibility, Bolsa de Agua brings a crooked smile at every turn. --S. Duda

Amazon.com
Texas's multifaceted Gourds have not been well served by record companies, a fact that has made their hard-to-pigeonhole music often just plain hard to find. To christen their signing to the stable, stellar Sugar Hill label, they're spinning a new, twangier set, Bolsa de Agua (as well as reissuing their prior albums). Bolsa has all the Gourds' characteristic elements--guitarist Kevin Russell's barrel-chested vocals and cleanly strummed acoustic guitars; Jimmy Smith's tipsy vocals and thick, sometimes slappy bass; Keith Langford's thwacking drum punctuations; Claude Bernard's accordion (and more); and a host of here rootsily narrative, there freaked, lyrics. To wit: Smith singing woefully, with dramatic violin and accordion backing, "I drank so much coffee / Now my hair it sticks up like the startled squirrels." Even with such lines, though, the Gourds manage to balance (perfectly) the offhand humor of being Texans with small-town stories and musicians with a grasp and reach that connect in a way that defies alt-country stereotypes and blazes trails that only the Gourds will follow. --Andrew Bartlett

For Shinebox

Now-full-length reissue of the EP formerly known as Gogitchyershinebox (originally released on now-defunct Watermelon Records in 1998)! Repackaged with additional tracks, the CD Shinebox includes several previously unreleased tunes, including the much-requested Snoop Dogg cover Gin And Juice. That track contains explicit language that would upset Tipper Gore and the FCC! In addition to Gourds originals, tracks also include songs culled from sources as varied as David Bowie, The Dillards, Nils Lofgren, Townes VanZandt and Billy Joe Shaver... all transformed by the Gourds into their own unique, engaging style. Five tracks were recorded live in Amsterdam in 1998.
If you look up the definition of Americana in the dictionary, you're sure to find a picture of The Gourds.... They embrace a wide range of influences: traditional country, bluegrass, Doug Sahm, Cajun and country rock and produce a sound very distinctly their own. -Dirty Linen

For Ghosts of Hallelujah

Originally released in February, 1999, this is the Gourds' third album, and the first to truly capture what this band sounds like on stage - it puts the listener smack in the middle of one of their concerts. The whole thing sounds as though it was recorded on a front porch in about a week.... It's archaic and immediate at once, rollicking and plaintive and somewhere in between, as indescribable and familiar as damp air on a summer morning.
... It's country music, if your idea of country means a large land mass with lots of options in between stops on the map. - Dallas Observer

For Stadium Blitzer

... Drawn from bluegrass, country and roots folk, but delivered with funk and power, the Gourds' music has attracted an audience base of recovering classic rock junkies - despite the scarcity of electric guitar. - Wall Street Journal

Try 'em...they're really one of the best band's working today...

Last edited by Gdrlv; 03-02-02 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-02-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OLD 97's! They're country/rock/punk-ish. Check out the song Timebomb from their Too Far To Care album. I'm sure you'll dig it. I have a few of their albums in MP3 on my computer...
Old 03-04-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still donwloading stuff and checking it out... a lot of good stuff..

Nosebleed,

Thanks for the Old 97's recommendation. They're cool. So far I like them.