Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Were you (are you) a college DJ?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-02, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been interested seeing the wide variety of tastes on this board. I like debate and often see people challenging others in their music tastes (another cool thing to me). I'm sure there are various ways we've all learned about music, but for me the BIGGY was being a college DJ and music director for Auburn University's campus station in the mid-80's. I learned SO much about music from doing that. Even though this was in Alabama, the music we played was all over the map and a lot of students complained about how weird we were. Maybe bands like Killdozer, Scratch Acid and Live Skull would still creep people out, but I guess most of that stuff we played back then wouldn't sound too wild today.

Anyway, did you do a stint on your college station?
Old 03-01-02, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah, well, never college, but while I was in high school I was a deejay for a professional radio station.
Old 03-01-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I was a DJ and music director for good ol' 90.1 FM at the University of Richmond (go spiders!). I was exposed to a lot of different types of music there. That's where I first got into DJing.

One of the things that I learned is that, to me at least, it seems that 90% of the music released (major and independent) is crap. We'd get a slew of discs every week and only a few of them were good; even fewer were truly great. To each his own, though.
Old 03-01-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I was a DJ in college at the school station, and then as a weekend guy at a small local top-40 station.

I also worked for a few years for a satellite radio network that broadcast nationwide (working for the new-agey The Wave format)...

and I've spun records in clubs, too.
Old 03-01-02, 01:24 PM
Banned

DJ at KWSC-FM, 91.9 in Wayne, NE, for two years. (Wayne State College)

We got the slew of disks every week too. I prefer to listen to good music though, so I hosted a Classic Rock Request show.
Old 03-01-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

KAYD, 97.5 FM, two years; KQXY, 94.1 FM, one year.

KAYD got me into liking country music -- I actually hated it when I started there, but it was a cool job, so I originally just turned down the music while it was playing and I didn't have to talk. I decided that since I had been prejudiced against country music for no good reason, I'd better look at other music, just in case.

KQXY allowed me to run a alternative-rock broadcast from midnight to 2am (which was shitcanned after a few months when the station was bought up by one of those mega-station entities), which allowed me to really explore new music. There's nothing like running a broadcast like that with a half-dozen other rabid music fans. Incredible time.
Old 03-02-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
...for a year and a half at 88.1, WSBF-FM, Clemson...