Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

first time purchase - need help (looking for dvd player)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

first time purchase - need help (looking for dvd player)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-02, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first time purchase - need help

I am thinking of buying a new dvd player.. however i am new to this and not very familiar with the different types of dvd players. Used to only watch dvd on dvd-rom.
Anyway.. i just need a few suggestion on which models would be sufficient for first time buyer ,like sony or pioneer or any other good recoomendations
I just want a dvd that can decode 5.1 sound and with progressive scan but doesnt have to be too expensive..
Also I am not sure about whats the diff between the internal and exteranal encoder.. does the internal one mean that u can plug the speakers to the dvd player directly?
thanks in advance
Old 03-01-02, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, welcome to the forum!

If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend you take a look at this forum's FAQ. Some of the questions you have are probably answered there.

I'd also suggest a few other things:

* Look through the topics on the first few pages of this forum. Information you won't find in the FAQ, but will still find useful, can be found in the answers to the questions other members ask. (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=186192 is a good example of a thread that asks similar questions to yours, but there are many more).

* Make your topic as specific as possible. The further away you get from "Help!," the better the quality of the responses will tend to be. For example, I changed your title to reflect the fact that you're looking for a dvd player.

Good luck.

-stevevt
Old 03-01-02, 11:19 AM
Banned

Re: first time purchase - need help

Originally posted by bluepenny
I am thinking of buying a new dvd player.. however i am new to this and not very familiar with the different types of dvd players. Used to only watch dvd on dvd-rom.
Anyway.. i just need a few suggestion on which models would be sufficient for first time buyer ,like sony or pioneer or any other good recoomendations
I just want a dvd that can decode 5.1 sound and with progressive scan but doesnt have to be too expensive..
Also I am not sure about whats the diff between the internal and exteranal encoder.. does the internal one mean that u can plug the speakers to the dvd player directly?
thanks in advance
The basic rule is the more you pay, the more you get. It would be better if you gave us a price range. With a price range, we would be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 03-01-02, 11:40 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Also, stick with good brands when choosing a DVD player (eg, Toshiba, Sony, Mitsubishi, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc...)
Old 03-02-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What brand/model receiver do you have? Most of us have our receivers decode Dolby Digital and DTS (5.1 sound).

What brand/model TV do you have? Is it capable of displaying a progressive signal?
Old 03-02-02, 07:25 PM

There are 2 major audio technologies embedded in DVD. DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1. Both are digital bitstreams divided up into 5 separate channels and a subwoofer signal.

The best option IMHO is to get a receiver that supports both of these. I would stay away from the players with onboard decoders as they add considerably to the cost of the unit and most will not allow you to decode from any other source, like a satellite receiver, computer, whatever else carries digital.

A receiver allows alot more flexibility as it supports multiple inputs and doesnt care where they come from.

If you want the best dvd player you can get for the money buy an apex from walmart. Quality is not great but the amount of features combined with the low price of about 70 dollars puts it far ahead of any other brand. I believe Sears has them now also.

-K
Old 03-03-02, 01:31 AM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

The best Progressive scan DVD player for the money IMHO is the Panny RP56 that is the player I chose and have been very happy with it. you can find it at your local BB for around 200 I found mine as an open box for 150. for that type of money it is hard to beat.