Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I sick of people bagging on Creed - grammys

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-28-02, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joel and Bennett performed a rendition of Joel's ballad "New York State of Mind," to rousing applause. Afterwards, Stewart reminded the audience how music was among the first things celebrated once the Taliban, which had prohibited the playing of music, was vanquished in Afghanistan (news - web sites).

"When Afghanistan was liberated, one of the first things that happened was that music was played on the streets and three days later, even they were sick of Creed," he joked, referring to the hot-selling rock group that has been omnipresent on the radio airwaves.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...grammys_mood_1

Amoung the sea of crap music where every song is about sex, drugs and hate a good band comes along with compelling lyrics and they become an industry punching bag.
Old 02-28-02, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't think the joke was directed at creed themselves but the fact that radio stations endlessly play their songs. I got sick of them too, to the point that I had to immediately change the radio station when their songs came on....oh crap...not that freakin' creed song again!!! aaaahhhhhhh!!!.

You say that "among the sea of crap music..." well...creed is definitely sailing on that sea. They are a mediocre band and have a copy-cat, posturing lead singer.
Old 02-28-02, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
I agree, not even the best bands(Beatles, Led Zeppelin) can take the overexposure that Creed's been getting. No music, regardless of how good it is, was made to be heard 24/7. And any music that does, suffers as a result.
Old 02-28-02, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by palebluedot
I don't think the joke was directed at creed themselves but the fact that radio stations endlessly play their songs. I got sick of them too, to the point that I had to immediately change the radio station when their songs came on....oh crap...not that freakin' creed song again!!! aaaahhhhhhh!!!.

You say that "among the sea of crap music..." well...creed is definitely sailing on that sea. They are a mediocre band and have a copy-cat, posturing lead singer.
Who does he copy? The songs I've heard by Creed don't even sound like anything I've heard before (well, the new ones sound like Creed, I guess). Granted, they're overplayed, but the original poster is right - Stapp creates some compelling lyrics.
Old 02-28-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Well, many people think Stapp sings like Eddie Vedder.
Old 02-28-02, 10:25 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cdollaz
Well, many people think Stapp sings like Eddie Vedder.
He does sing like Eddie Vedder. He's said constantly that Pearl Jam was one of his biggest influences and it's obvious he' mirrored his singing style around him, especially on their first album.

I don't really hold this against them. I just think they are overplayed and most of their songs sound more or less the same. I also don't like the lyrics, as many of them are still fairly religious and I'm as anti-religion person as you'll ever meet.
Old 02-28-02, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think you can hold his voice against him. That is what he was born with. I do not like his vocal style personally, but to each his own. I do not particularly think their songwriting is very distinct. As far as religious lyrics go, I with their were more of them. If that is an important aspect of a person's life, then they should feel free to sing about it.
Old 02-28-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My question:

Who do you think loves themselves more -- Scott Stapp or Bono?
Old 02-28-02, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The difference is: Bono is a good song writer and singer. I think that Bono is sometimes uncomfortably awkward giving award speeches. He always just rambles and doesn't say much.
Old 02-28-02, 10:52 AM
Retired

Originally posted by cdollaz
I don't think you can hold his voice against him. That is what he was born with. I do not like his vocal style personally, but to each his own. I do not particularly think their songwriting is very distinct. As far as religious lyrics go, I with their were more of them. If that is an important aspect of a person's life, then they should feel free to sing about it.

We'll you can't hold his voice against him, but you can hold his sining style against him is that is something he practiced and learned, and it is too much like Vedder's for my taste. But I'm biased being that Pearl Jam is my favorite band.

I also didn't mean to imply that bands shouldn't write religious lyrics, or what ever they feel strongly about. That's what lyrics are for. I simply don't listen to bands if I disagree with the content of their lyrics. That by no means is saying that I think they shouldn't write them. They should write whats in their hearts, people that disagree with them can simply not buy their albums and turn of the radio/tv when their songs come on.
Old 02-28-02, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep. Pearl Jam is one of my faves also. Gotta like a band that plays a different set every nite.
Old 02-28-02, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I sick of people defending Creed. They had a poor idea when they began, but they developed that into a horrible idea. The convoluted, self-indulgent lyrics ought to publically shamed. And if I were one who believed in censorship, I'd make this band the first one banned.

p.s. it probably won't take long before either Bono or Scott's head blows up. Egos the size of cathedrals on both of them.
Old 02-28-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Alyoshka
I sick of people defending Creed. They had a poor idea when they began, but they developed that into a horrible idea. The convoluted, self-indulgent lyrics ought to publically shamed. And if I were one who believed in censorship, I'd make this band the first one banned.

p.s. it probably won't take long before either Bono or Scott's head blows up. Egos the size of cathedrals on both of them.
What exactly should be censored?
Old 02-28-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got nothing against lyrics that are uplifting and try to rise above "woe-is-me" attitudes all the time. I really don't like Creed because the music sucks. But, this is someone who thinks Pearl Jam was a very very bad idea.
Old 02-28-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Toad

What exactly should be censored?
nothing, it was a joke. If I agreed with censorship I would censor creed. nothing more than that. Not for political, religious, or any other sort of reason. Just because I think they are filth. More than that though, they are filth who somehow convince hoards of unsuspecting people that they are A) talented and B) deep/intelligent/philosophical.
Old 02-28-02, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nothing, it was a joke. If I agreed with censorship I would censor creed. nothing more than that. Not for political, religious, or any other sort of reason. Just because I think they are filth. More than that though, they are filth who somehow convince hoards of unsuspecting people that they are A) talented and B) deep/intelligent/philosophical.
Why do you let a) a band piss you off so much b) other people's tastes bother you in the slightest?

I don't like Creed because I don't like their music. I don't like Pearl Jam either -- or pretty much any of those grunge bands (Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc). I just don't care for the style.

But what do I care what other people listen to? I don't. My best friend loves Creed. I'm sure I love lots of stuff she doesn't care for. What's the big deal?

I'm sorry.. but everything you just said reeks of elitism. And I hate that crap. Listen to what you like... Don't listen to what you don't like... and don't care what other people like or listen to. It's pretty friggin' simple.
Old 02-28-02, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

part of it might be John Stewarts sh**ty taste in music, sure he ragged Creed.......but he praised the worst performance on the show in Bob Dylan......don't get me wrong, Dylan is a great songwriter but thats it, his performance was the worst on the show.

I don't see why everyone is so upset with the grammies anymore anyway, everyone knows its a joke now anywho.
Old 02-28-02, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DodgingCars

Why do you let a) a band piss you off so much b) other people's tastes bother you in the slightest?

I don't like Creed because I don't like their music. I don't like Pearl Jam either -- or pretty much any of those grunge bands (Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc). I just don't care for the style.

But what do I care what other people listen to? I don't. My best friend loves Creed. I'm sure I love lots of stuff she doesn't care for. What's the big deal?

I'm sorry.. but everything you just said reeks of elitism. And I hate that crap. Listen to what you like... Don't listen to what you don't like... and don't care what other people like or listen to. It's pretty friggin' simple.
The reason I'm willing to let Creed "piss me off so much" is because we're on a discussion board, so I will discuss. If I see someone walking down the street humming a Creed song to himself, I'm not going to stop him to discuss my thoughts on Creed.

I would, however, think that my taste in music was superior to his. If that is elitism, then I guess I'm an elitist. Though, I'm prone to just think that I was blessed with being surrounded by people who have been willing to introduce me to new music. Apart from a brief hazy period or two, I have never been someone who listens to music just for enjoyment. I like music that challenges my intelligence, my conceptions of music, my notion of art, or whatever else. Essentially, music has to make me think. I hate music that is formulaic and contrived.

Furthermore, if all these Creed fans were so secure of their band, why do they care if a few people criticize the band?
Old 02-28-02, 02:52 PM

I would, however, think that my taste in music was superior to his. If that is elitism, then I guess I'm an elitist. Though, I'm prone to just think that I was blessed with being surrounded by people who have been willing to introduce me to new music. Apart from a brief hazy period or two, I have never been someone who listens to music just for enjoyment. I like music that challenges my intelligence, my conceptions of music, my notion of art, or whatever else. Essentially, music has to make me think. I hate music that is formulaic and contrived.
I agree. Elitism rocks!
Old 02-28-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Furthermore, if all these Creed fans were so secure of their band, why do they care if a few people criticize the band?
Who knows. Maybe because they're tired of the bandwagon-jumping.

Also, I'm interested to know where your musical tastes lie, and what new music you've been introduced to. Especially that which challenges your intelligence.

Perhaps we have something to talk about. (With exception to the challenging of intellgence thing )
Old 02-28-02, 02:53 PM
Uber Member

Apart from a brief hazy period or two, I have never been someone who listens to music just for enjoyment.
So listening to music for fun is a bad thing?

Also, most people start to get a bit upset when something they like gets ragged on on a regular basis. That's not to say they're not being defensive, but it doesn't mean that they are either.

-David
Old 02-28-02, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Blade

So listening to music for fun is a bad thing?
I don't think he's saying that at all. I'm assuming that Alyshoka and I have similar thoughts on this, so I'll speak for him, and myself. People listen to music very differently. For some it is a passive thing, for others it is an obsessive thing. I listen to it obsessively, hell, writing about it is my job. And if you are obsessive about it, if you work for it in the sense that you work to find it, there is an entirely different mindset about what you listen to. In a way it defines you.

To be honest, yes I think I have better taste than other people. Of course this is subjective, but in the sense that I work to find what I love, to find what challenges me, it is not subjective. Music means more to me so I try to find the best stuff I can. In my mind this means better taste.

I know I'll get called an elitist, blah blah blah. But as a music critic, it's my job to say what's good and bad. Sure, I'm an elitist, but I don't see that as a problem. A populist viewpoint with art can be a bad thing. Then the only works that are celebrated are those that look nice, that sound nice, that reinforce our tastes when, in many cases, the best pieces are those that do not sound nice or look nice, but those that want to destroy our prejudices and find new ones. This is what should be embraced, but isn't, by popular culture.
Old 02-28-02, 03:07 PM

Don't worry, Creed is likely to be all over the Grammy Awards next year. Creed bashing is just getting started.
Old 02-28-02, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by Yancey
My question:

Who do you think loves themselves more -- Scott Stapp or Bono?
I would have to say Bono. However, check out this Creed incident that happened on their Cleveland tour stop this year...

The local paper (Plain Dealer) wrote a bad review for the album. The band subsequently banned all Plain Dealer personnel from Gund Arena, where they were playing.

Huge mistake. The reviewer snuck into the arena and literally listened through a cup against one of the hallway walls. Needless to say, the concert review was nothing short of scathing. Creed generated a mess.

- Matt C.
Old 02-28-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Yancey

I don't think he's saying that at all. I'm assuming that Alyshoka and I have similar thoughts on this, so I'll speak for him, and myself. People listen to music very differently. For some it is a passive thing, for others it is an obsessive thing. I listen to it obsessively, hell, writing about it is my job. And if you are obsessive about it, if you work for it in the sense that you work to find it, there is an entirely different mindset about what you listen to. In a way it defines you.

To be honest, yes I think I have better taste than other people. Of course this is subjective, but in the sense that I work to find what I love, to find what challenges me, it is not subjective. Music means more to me so I try to find the best stuff I can. In my mind this means better taste.

I know I'll get called an elitist, blah blah blah. But as a music critic, it's my job to say what's good and bad. Sure, I'm an elitist, but I don't see that as a problem. A populist viewpoint with art can be a bad thing. Then the only works that are celebrated are those that look nice, that sound nice, that reinforce our tastes when, in many cases, the best pieces are those that do not sound nice or look nice, but those that want to destroy our prejudices and find new ones. This is what should be embraced, but isn't, by popular culture.
What's an example?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.