Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Please, help me figure out what TV I need for my situation.

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-28-02, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I desperately need your help DVDTalkers! I've been driving myself crazy trying to figure this out myself. So, I'm coming to the experts.

I will be moving to a new apartment next month and I want to get a TV for my bedroom (I only have an old 20" without any A/V inputs!). Here's my expected usage:

70% DVD
20% Cable TV (regular signal, not digital)
10% PS2 gaming

First, I want the widescreen image to be as big as possible. So, I'm thinking I should get a "smaller" 16x9 set. But maybe I should get a larger 4x3 set, if the letterboxed image is about the same size.

Second, I want the picture to be a good as possible (referring to DVD). I believe that Anamorphic transfers only benefit 16x9 sets and 4x3 sets with the "squeeze trick". How should this and HDTV (I don't plan on getting a STB anytime soon) weigh on my decision?

Third, what should I use as my player? I don't have a regular DVD player (roomate has one in living room), but I do have the PS2 and DVD-ROM (computer will be next to the TV in my bedroom). I may buy a DVD player if needed to fulfill my "optimal picture quality" desire. I know that the PS2 would only be a short term use, but how about the DVD-ROM? I am going to upgrade my video card anyway (have Voodoo3 2000 now), so should I consider getting a particular video card (GeForce 3 or Radeon AIW) for DVD playback? Would this be comperable to a stand-alone player?

Remember, my main goal is to have as big and clear DVD playback as my wallet can handle. I don't have a definate price limit now, because it depends on how much overtime I work before I buy in a month or two, but assume a limit of $1500ish. Thank you for any and all advice/recommendations you can provide.

Ralph
Old 03-02-02, 10:40 PM

Anyone? Maybe my post was too long, too vague, and/or "FAQable". Anyway, I'll try again being less wordy.

What TV (or type of TV) would you recommend for a bedroom? The TV will be used mostly for DVD's and, to a lesser extent, cable and PS2. I want the DVD picture to be as big as clear while maintaing the correct aspect ratio.

Also, does anyone recommend using a PC to view DVD's on a TV? If I could get as good, or better, picture from a certain video card, I would probably do that.

Assume I can spend up to $1500. Thank you.
Old 03-03-02, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would look at the Toshiba 42H81 and the 47" Panny. Both are 16x9's and support HDTV. Both are available for around $1600. For optimal picture quality a prog scan player will be a must. Either a Panasonic RP56 or your computer should work.

I've never used a computer as a DVD player for my home theatre system, but I hear that with an excellent video card some people believe that the picture quality rivals even multi-thousand dollar standalone players.

Last edited by skar; 03-03-02 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-03-02, 01:49 AM
Banned

Originally posted by skar
I've never used a computer as a DVD player for my home theatre system, but I hear that with an excellent video card some people believe that the picture quality rivals even multi-thousand dollar standalone players.
If you do use your computer as your DVD Player, make sure that you get a Hardware DVD player rather that a Software DVD player. It has an extra processor or something to decode the signal rather than leaving it up to the software to take care. It will give you a better quality picture in the end.
Old 03-03-02, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have the 47" Panasonic, and it does give a great picture, and is 16X9, however it's still large, and could not imagine having that in a bedroom. Of course it depends upon the size of your bedroom I guess.

I personally would recommend like a 32" Sony Wega or something like that, although it doesn't offer 16X9, the picture is outstanding. That's the setup I have, and am tickled with it, although I hardly watch 'em in my bedroom.

Outside of that, There is a 42" WS Toshiba, very comparable to the 47" Panny, and think it comes in around 1400 or so, and would give you the same as the Panny with a slightly more feasible size for the bedroom.
Old 03-03-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012

If you do use your computer as your DVD Player, make sure that you get a Hardware DVD player rather that a Software DVD player. It has an extra processor or something to decode the signal rather than leaving it up to the software to take care. It will give you a better quality picture in the end.
If you have a P3-600 or better CPU (and Geforce256 or better VC) a hardware decoder is a waste of money as a P3-600 or better w/good VC is MORE then enough to equal the lack of a hardware decoder!
Old 03-03-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would suggest the Toshiba 42" over the Pany 47" as it has a much better picture quality then the Pany.
Old 03-03-02, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Frank S
If you have a P3-600 or better CPU (and Geforce256 or better VC) a hardware decoder is a waste of money as a P3-600 or better w/good VC is MORE then enough to equal the lack of a hardware decoder!
Not at all. You are forgetting that while watching a DVD, that is not the only program running. Every program running is fighting for space on the system BUS. They are all fighting for processor and memory space as well. Though it is true the computer can process the information easily, it can do a better job of it when a devices is specifically designed for the process: hense the hardware decoder.
Old 03-03-02, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not at all. You are forgetting that while watching a DVD, that is not the only program running. Every program running is fighting for space on the system BUS. They are all fighting for processor and memory space as well. Though it is true the computer can process the information easily, it can do a better job of it when a devices is specifically designed for the process: hense the hardware decoder.
A P3-600+ system can do what a hardware decoder can and do so at the same quality so again a hardware decoder is a useless component on systems of those speeds or higher! Most people don't watch DVD's at the same time as doing other tasks but even so newer systems still have more then enough power to do DVD playback and other tasks simultaneously. This is why NO new desktop systems come with hardware decoders because they are a useless addition for todays powerful systems. Hardware decoders were needed back in the days of Pentium/Pentium 2 w/first and second generation 3D VC cards but their use has come and gone in today's PC market. I build systems for a living (I'm a Computer Reseller/VAR) and anyone who is pushing hardware decoders with today's PC's is a crook and should be avoided at all costs!
Old 03-03-02, 05:14 PM
Banned

A P3-600+ system can do what a hardware decoder can and do so at the same quality so again a hardware decoder is a useless component on systems of those speeds or higher! Most people don't watch DVD's at the same time as doing other tasks but even so newer systems still have more then enough power to do DVD playback and other tasks simultaneously. This is why NO new desktop systems come with hardware decoders because they are a useless addition for todays powerful systems. Hardware decoders were needed back in the days of Pentium/Pentium 2 w/first and second generation 3D VC cards but their use has come and gone in today's PC market. I build systems for a living (I'm a Computer Reseller/VAR) and anyone who is pushing hardware decoders with today's PC's is a crook and should be avoided at all costs!
If this was a computer forum, I would argue with you more about this subject. But being that this is DVD forum and you are a computer reseller I will just say that, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
Old 03-03-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this was a computer forum, I would argue with you more about this subject. But being that this is DVD forum and you are a computer reseller I will just say that, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
josh

Consider this a warning.

Do not disparage other forum members or their professions. Continuing to do so will result in the suspension of your posting privileges.

Note that I'm posting this in "mod mode" (which is why I'm using italics) and not "user mode."

By the way, I would assume that a computer reseller would tend to have helpful information on the topic of hardware vs. software decoders in computers.

-stevevt
Old 03-03-02, 05:34 PM
Banned

I apologize. I just wanted to point out that a computer reseller deals with selling computers which would never be considered to have the highest grade of parts. I just notice how all computers such as Gateway and Dell don't this as an option, while highly respected computer companies such as Falcon NW and Alienware offer this as an option. The smiley face was just to show how stating that he was a computer reseller shows that he is talking about something that he doesn't have to deal with, not to disrespect his profession, or the profession of Computer Reselling. Again, I apologize.

Edit: Also, I do not want to play the "I have a friend" game so that will be the only support I will give to my arguement, take it as you will.

Last edited by joshd2012; 03-03-02 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-03-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I apologize. I just wanted to point out that a computer reseller deals with selling computers which would never be considered to have the highest grade of parts. I just notice how all computers such as Gateway and Dell don't this as an option, while highly respected computer companies such as Falcon NW and Alienware offer this as an option. The smiley face was just to show how stating that he was a computer reseller shows that he is talking about something that he doesn't have to deal with, not to disrespect his profession, or the profession of Computer Reselling. Again, I apologize.

Edit: Also, I do not want to play the "I have a friend" game so that will be the only support I will give to my arguement, take it as you will.
You obviously DO NOT have a clue what a Computer Resller/VAR (Value Add Reseller) is because if you did you would know we build system to order almost exclusively and use THE highest quality parts! Your grasp of computers is obviously limited by your above comments that show you don't know the computer industry and make comment on subjects that you are uninformed about.
Old 03-03-02, 06:24 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
This statement is absurd. You obviously have no clue about this subject. But then I thought that in the optical-coaxial thread too. And the "same manufacturer for all your components" thread too...

You have never been correct about anything in any of the posts you have made that I have seen. If you are posting these blatantly incorrect "facts" here for some kind of amusement or a joke, you are doing it very well.

I think it would be virtually impossible for someone to be absolutely wrong each and every time they stated something as fact as you have been. So will you now let us in on the joke? You really have pulled off a good satire of so-called "experts".
Old 03-03-02, 06:39 PM
Banned

Frank...

As a Computer Reseller/VAR you should know that when outputting to a TV, as the reader wants to do, you should use a Hardware Decoder. Why? Because the hardware decoder will already have a TV out and a S/PDIF AC3 audio connection. True, you could also acheive this by investing in a more expensive graphic card and audio card, but this is easiest acheived by simply choosing a Hardware Decoder over a Software Decoder.

And technically, as you already know being that you are a Computer Reseller and all, you are running multiple programs at any given second the computer is on. And if, god forbid, you had another program open up while watching a movie (say a virus scan or system tool), it would be effected.

X...

As for facts, I go but what I read. When numerous computer hardware sites tell me that a Hardware Decoder is better for systems using TV outs, I will believe them.
Old 03-03-02, 06:48 PM
X
Administrator

X...

As for facts, I go but what I read. When numerous computer hardware sites tell me that a Hardware Decoder is better for systems using TV outs, I will believe them.
That's totally absurd. A hardware decoder will have a composite or s-video out. Your VGA card can be component out after going through a transcoder as well as some cards offering s-video and composite out. I guess you'll now be arguing that composite provides a better picture than component.

But more shockingly, you did not tell us that you were pulling our collective legs! I repeat, it is simply impossible for somebody to be so misinformed and not know it!
Old 03-03-02, 06:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by X
That's totally absurd. A hardware decoder will have a composite or s-video out. Your VGA card can be component out after going through a transcoder as well as some cards offering s-video and composite out. I guess you'll now be arguing that composite provides a better picture than component.

But more shockingly, you did not tell us that you were pulling our collective legs! I repeat, it is simply impossible for somebody to be so misinformed and clueless!
1) He is going from his computer to his TV. Unless he purchases a TV with Component Inputs, they would be worthless to him.

2) This is too easy... for fear of being banned, I will not type what I am thinking.
Old 03-03-02, 06:53 PM

Thanks for your help guys. I currently have: 1GHz T-bird, 384 MB SDRAM, 16x DVD-ROM (Pioneer 106S), and (still) my old Voodoo3 2000. I read that many HTPC users are installing the Radeon 7200, but I still want to use this PC for some gaming, too (therefore would like a GeForce3 for that). Do you think the GeForce cards are very inferior to ATI for DVD playback? Remember that DVD picture quality is first priority.

Thank you for TV recommendations, and anyone else that is very happy with DVD playback on their bedroom TV, please post the make/model for me.

While researching this issue, I ran across a review for a Samsung 30" 16x9 HDTV (TSL3095WHF link: http://www.widescreenreview.com/wsrm...ns/eqrev1.html). It sounds like it would be a good candidate. Does anyone have anything to say (good or bad) about using this TV in my bedroom?

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by RalphWiggum; 03-03-02 at 06:59 PM.
Old 03-03-02, 07:06 PM
X
Administrator

For a TV the GeForce3 would be fine. I use a GeForce2 on a 53" RPTV and it's very, very good (I removed the filters and capacitors at the output stage to help it out) although I'm considering going to a 7500 for the dual monitor support.

For heavy-duty gaming and good quality DVD the GeForce would be the way to go. On a set the size you are considering the difference between the cards is minimal; it makes a difference when you're projecting onto a 100" screen.

You might want to look into using dual video cards. I know of people just setting one to be the primary card depending on what they want to do -- PCI ATI card for DVD, AGP GeForce card for gaming.

My bedroom set, a 27" Sony KV27FS16 is great and has component in. You might want to consider the 32" Sony too.
Old 03-03-02, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A majority of Geforce 3 VC's have a S-Video output so you would be able to do without a trans-coder cable if you don't have Component or VGA input on your TV.
Old 03-03-02, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Frank...

As a Computer Reseller/VAR you should know that when outputting to a TV, as the reader wants to do, you should use a Hardware Decoder. Why? Because the hardware decoder will already have a TV out and a S/PDIF AC3 audio connection. True, you could also acheive this by investing in a more expensive graphic card and audio card, but this is easiest acheived by simply choosing a Hardware Decoder over a Software Decoder.

And technically, as you already know being that you are a Computer Reseller and all, you are running multiple programs at any given second the computer is on. And if, god forbid, you had another program open up while watching a movie (say a virus scan or system tool), it would be effected.

As a Computer Reseller I know that you are spewing more BS that is NOT helping out the original posters! A lot of the Geforce/ATI VC cards already have S-Video outputs so again NO NEED FOR YOUR PRECIOUS HARDWARE DECODER! And taking up an extra PCI slot for no good reason again is useless! I'm not sure what kind of sub-standard systems you are used to working with but those we build (and most being sold) will not have the slightest problems running a SW decoder and multiple other programs simultaneously! And if you get your "hardware decoder is a must" from Falcon and the like then you again are falling for their "everything is a must" sales pitch! Yes, Falcon makes some very fast systems but they also charge more then $1000 more for an identical system others like us build. They make their main profit off of selling every bell & whistle they can sell you!

You mention you get your info from Internet sites.... well I guess that can explains why you have such a non-consensous opinion. I'll bet you have your stats on why hardware decoders are a MUST straight from a website of a hardware decoder manufacturers!

Last edited by Frank S; 03-03-02 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-04-02, 12:40 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by RalphWiggum
While researching this issue, I ran across a review for a Samsung 30" 16x9 HDTV (TSL3095WHF link: http://www.widescreenreview.com/wsrm...ns/eqrev1.html). It sounds like it would be a good candidate. Does anyone have anything to say (good or bad) about using this TV in my bedroom?
I think I'd keep looking. I has many nice features, but for that price I'd rather have a set with a better picture. And you would definitely need a progressive player.

It would be interesting to find out how it performed after being ISF calibrated, although that would add another $400 or so to the price.
Old 03-04-02, 02:00 AM
Banned

As a Computer Reseller I know that you are spewing more BS that is NOT helping out the original posters! A lot of the Geforce/ATI VC cards already have S-Video outputs so again NO NEED FOR YOUR PRECIOUS HARDWARE DECODER! And taking up an extra PCI slot for no good reason again is useless! I'm not sure what kind of sub-standard systems you are used to working with but those we build (and most being sold) will not have the slightest problems running a SW decoder and multiple other programs simultaneously! And if you get your "hardware decoder is a must" from Falcon and the like then you again are falling for their "everything is a must" sales pitch! Yes, Falcon makes some very fast systems but they also charge more then $1000 more for an identical system others like us build. They make their main profit off of selling every bell & whistle they can sell you!

You mention you get your info from Internet sites.... well I guess that can explains why you have such a non-consensous opinion. I'll bet you have your stats on why hardware decoders are a MUST straight from a website of a hardware decoder manufacturers!
Actually, I get my info from unbiased internet sites which solely give reviews of computer hardware and software. I am assuming you get your info from personal experience (how many have you worked with as compared to these sites?) or what your boss tells you (a biased opinion).
Old 03-04-02, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, I get my info from unbiased internet sites which solely give reviews of computer hardware and software. I am assuming you get your info from personal experience (how many have you worked with as compared to these sites?) or what your boss tells you (a biased opinion).
My personal experience goes back 15 years in computer building and since I am the boss/owner of my company I get my info straight from experience and direct from the manufacturers! I am involved in the building of over 10,000 systems a month from barebone workstations, servers, to high-end gaming machines so I would venture to guess my experience dwarfs that of all but a very small few who do reviews on Internet sites. If these people are so knowledgeable then why are they mere reviewers and not actually in the business making a far better wage then they ever could do being a Internet reviewer?

And if you think Internet site are totally unbias then you are a bit naive to say the least!
Old 03-04-02, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ralph,

From what I have read and seen the ATI Radeon cards have a better s-video out picture than the Geforce cards and most people are using them in their HTPC's.

You don't need all the hardware decoder stuff, especially with your system specs.

My current HTPC runs on a 533MHz Celeron with 256MB of SDRAM, 32MB Radeon PCI card. I wouldn't recommend crunching SETI or Folding while watching a DVD on it though

It is mainly a MP3/MAME machine so I don't really use it for DVD playback since I have a few stand alone players, but when I do it works fine.

Oh yeah, (and I hate to admit this) but this machine is an emachine, so if it can handle it I am sure 99.9% of computers out there can too!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.