Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

I bought Larry Sanders. Picture quality very poor. Questions inside.

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

I bought Larry Sanders. Picture quality very poor. Questions inside.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone buy Larry Sanders?. I Did And Picture quality is very poor. Questions inside.

I just bought Larry Sanders Season 1. I popped in the first disc and was blown away by the POOR picture. The picture is blurry and its like I am watching the show through a dirty window. I am soooo disappointed because I have been looking forward to this set for such a long time. Did I buy a defective copy? or is it just a poor orginal source? I have VHS tapes of the all Larry Sanders episodes, and the picture is better on them than the DVDs. I would be interested in hearing from others that bought this set. Thanks.

Last edited by thecrazydude; 02-26-02 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-27-02, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That IS dissapointing!

I love that show, and wasn't planning on buying the set because they still run two episodes each Wednesday night on one of the HBO's, so I always have Tivo record them.

They have just recently returned to the first season, and I have noticed that those episodes are a bit darker (picture quality wise) and a little soft. So perhaps you're just noticing that?

I hope so.

Any extras of note on the set?
Old 02-27-02, 05:33 PM

I haven't opened my disc set yet of LS.

Should I take it back before I open it?
Old 02-27-02, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
The only extra is a really great interview with Garry Shandling. The impression I got from the interview is that Garry was going to record commentary tracks, but I guess that never came together.

The picture quality isn't great, but I'd imagine it's representative of how the series looked when it first aired, along the lines of the Buffy s1 set...
Old 02-27-02, 08:24 PM

I guess as long as the Comedy is still there, and I being a fan of the show, No reason why I should return this dvd.
Old 02-27-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yea, I'm still going to keep the set. It is a great show, its just that I was disappointed that the quality was poor. Hopefully season two etc. will be better.
Old 03-04-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sex and the City suffers from the blurry 1st season on DVD
bug as well. It seems to be an HBO thing ,course Sanders was produced well before S&TC so they have an excuse.
I love my HBO but I own none of their programming on DVD because they repeat so much of it so often.
If Season 2 of Sanders has more extras I might plunk down on it. Rip Torn ruled on that show.
Old 03-04-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
The picture quality was pretty poor. I was actually more upset with the packaging - they should have a case that it slides into. Plus the insert just lays inside the folds of the fold-up.
Old 03-13-02, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My set was being held up by Amazon (waiting for a few other things in the order to be released)... anyway, it arrived yesterday and I have to agree with the comments here.

Picture quality: Terrible. Inexcusably terrible, actually. It really looks like a 2nd generation VHS dub or something. Low detail, blurry, grainy, really quite bad. Is it "watchable"? Yes. Is it even close to what I expect from a DVD? No way. Quality like this is to be expected from a Diamond $5 bargain disc... not from a $50 Columbia Tri-Star boxed set.

Packaging: How hard is it to make a decent box? Jeez. No place at all for the episode listing insert? It's just supposed to float around loose in there? Not the end of the world, but pretty shoddy design.

On top of that, I'm not even finding the show to be as funny as I remember it. Pretty disappointing purchase overall.