Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I need a new TV -- please help!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The situation here is basically that I have some more money from my birthday and I'm basically sick of watching movies on a 15" monitor and playing games on a 13" TV. I'm looking for something mid-range, preferably 25" to 29" for no more than $300 that will provide good to excellent performance for DVD's and Xbox gaming. At this stage I'm not certain whether or not I'll be picking up a sophisticated sound system -- given that I'm a not-so-rich college student, and I'm not sure where I'll be in a couple of years -- so a decent sound setup would help too.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Any suggestions on stores/deals are also appreciated.

thanks,
Tuan Jim
Old 02-25-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

An online price match over at Sears for a lower end model from Toshiba, Panasonic, Hitachi or JVC may work to get a 27" set for about $300

Also look into some of the HTIB(home theater in a box) setups from Sony, Panasonic and Kenwood. They are relatively inexpensive and will get you started.
Old 02-25-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best Buy lists these two models that look pretty good (both around $300):

Toshiba -- http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=27

Philips -- http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=27

I'm a little more inclined towards the Philips -- it has S-video and Component, and there's also the horizontal resolution (not sure what that means -- Philips says 800 lines, but Toshiba says "not rated") Any info on these two -- is the Philips definitely better than the Toshiba for the price or not? I'm not too good with this stuff.

the HTIB looks kinda nice but that's another $300 min. (Bestbuy.com only lists 2 packages).

A nice/cheap/utilitarian tv stand would also be nice if anyone has suggestions.

thanks,
Tuan Jim
Old 02-25-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Tuan, I just went down this route myself over the last 5 weeks and have done extensive research and testing on 27" sets. I am also a poor college kid, and was probally looking for the same things you are.

o cut the fat, I will simply tell you this, get the Toshiba 27A41 or the Panasonic CT-27D11. Hands down they are the best in the 27" market within your price range.

Personally I will be picking up the Panasonic soon, I believe its the best. After much tweaking in the store the toshiba just had to much red in the picture no matter what i did. Some people don't care, but I do.

If you get the panasonic you won't be disappointed.

Now I just wish you would play GC games on there too.
Old 02-25-02, 07:04 PM

Nearly forgot. The 2 TV's I mentioned have every input you need. They both have audio out too if you ever go to a HT setup.

Don't worry about the Horiz. Rez. It's not as important as they may like you to think. the Toshiba has 525 lines and the panasonic has 600 if you really car, but you wont use any more then 425 I believe.
Old 02-25-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's about $30 more expensive than the other two models I linked to: http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=27

Is it that much better? Did you have a chance to look at the Philips at all? The Toshiba model you mentioned is the same model as the one I linked to above.

Also, are you just going to pick it up at Best Buy or have you found a better deal?

thanks,
Tuan Jim
Old 02-25-02, 07:23 PM

Tuan,
I'd recommend going in and seeing them for yourself. You may like a style over another. I did look at the phillips and it is also a nice set, the one you listed above is actually very new, i think it may have just been added. I didn't see that while i was there. ARGH! Now I have to redo everything!!! Thanks alot.

Just kidding. Seriously though. I think all 3 look like winners. (I reviewed the data on the phillips but have not played with it) I think you probally can't go wrong with any of them.

In this price range look for these main things:
component in
Svideo
AV on front and back
Dark Tube
3 line Digital comb filter

If you have all that you are pretty well off. Also, keep in mind best buys "stat sheet" has a lot of inaccuracies. (Compare what it says the top to the items below)

Here's a comp. btw the 3:
http://www.bestbuy.com/compare.asp?t...26&txtCount=30

I like all three, its a hard choice. but the important thing is all three are good, you have already elliminated alot of trashy ones.

Check out audioreview.com for buyer opinions as well. Very good info there.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 02-25-02 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-25-02, 09:05 PM

Dont buy until you find a model on sale.

Sears has great sales on T.V.'s all the time,
as do Best Buy and Circuit City. Wait for the
sale. On a 300.00 TV you can sometimes save
about 70 bucks, or get a 400 dollar TV for little
more than 300.

One thing to remember. TV's are always getting
better. A 5 year maintenance agreement might
look pretty steep the day you buy the TV but if
your set goes up 4 years from now you are going
to get a very nice set with alot more features
for FREE! By that time you might want HDTV anyway
so you could use your trade in towards a MUCH
better unit.

Things you need on your set,

Multiple a/v inputs. I dont really like the front inputs
except for a quick camcorder set up. If you keep your
xbox hooked up permanently you want the cables in the
back.

Also if you plan on hooking into any type of home theater
stereo outputs are a must. Anything you play on the TV
can be routed directly into your receiver so you wont need
a ton of extra hookups for sound. No TV has good stereo
output, not even the 4000 dollar HDTV widescreens. You
really need a separate sound system for full home theater
effect.

For this reason I stay away from any kind of DD/DTS players.
You want the decoder in your receiver, dont pay extra for
one in your dvd, satellite receiver, whatever.

Plan for your future entertainment today. Get pieces that
will work together now, it will save you money later.

-K
Old 02-25-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well the thing is, I may end up just using this for a year or so, and then end up selling it or passing it on to family members when I graduate (and possibly leave the country). I don't know at this stage, and I'm looking for a utilitarian machine that'll work well for general DVD/gaming/some TV viewing use. I'm interested in a HTIB package if I can find one for under $200, otherwise I'll just get the TV for the time being. A nice large, clear screen for a low price is more important to me than any future possibility of HDTV usage or whatnot.

I'm definitely getting one with audio outs (like the two models already mentioned) as well as component and S-video inputs for gaming/movies.

I'll check this weeks best buy deals. Thanks.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-26-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't find a price anywhere online so far for the Panasonic at under $329 or the Philips for under $300. I'm leaning towards the Philips, but I'll go in first before I buy.

Is this a good price for a HTIB?
http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage...onId=524218564
Looks like a pretty nice package and I don't think I need more than 120W -- doubt my apartment would let me keep anything louder ;p

Tuan Jim
Old 02-26-02, 02:59 PM

Wharfedale sets go for a tad more but under a 100 bucks and will sound a lot better then a KLH.

Personaly i think you should build them yourself.

For the TV price, just do a search in yahoo, and bring it into sears. I think the toshiba can be had for 160 and the panasonic for 175. Don't know about the phillips
Old 02-26-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Wharfedale sets go for a tad more but under a 100 bucks and will sound a lot better then a KLH.

Personaly i think you should build them yourself.

For the TV price, just do a search in yahoo, and bring it into sears. I think the toshiba can be had for 160 and the panasonic for 175. Don't know about the phillips
Sears doesn't list the Philips at all on their site.

Are you trying to say that the Wharfedale set is more than the KLH, but less than $100 more than the KLH?

Price is much more of an issue (least with the audio setup for now) than overall quality. Plus I live in a small apartment so I can't make optimal use of volume anyhoo.

Again, all suggestions/info is greatly appreciated.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-26-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trying to search at Yahoo, but nobody brings up a price lower than $300 for the Panasonic. Not interested in the Toshiba now I don't think.

There isn't a Sears nearby either. It'll probably just be more convenient to go into Best Buy and just pick it up (need to see who has a truck.).

Tuan Jim
Old 02-27-02, 02:29 PM

Tuan,
I made a "typo" I meant 260 for the toshiba and 275 for the panasonic. I didn't look at what i typed. Sorry.
Old 02-27-02, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tuan,
I made a "typo" I meant 260 for the toshiba and 275 for the panasonic. I didn't look at what i typed. Sorry.
np. seemed like a pretty unrealistic price to begin with. Think I'll aim to see what I can find after spring break in 2 weeks. Don't want to wait too long, but I won't have too much time till then anyhoo.

Tuan Jim
Old 03-05-02, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did you pick up your new TV yet Jeff?

I'm waiting till after next week (Spring Break), but I've decided I'll probably go with the Philips. I'll still check 'em out in the store, but $30 is still a difference (heck, I need a TV stand, the xbox dvd adapter and the HD AV pack for xbox as well ;p)

Tuan Jim