DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : pop up ads?

Mole177
02-24-02, 11:17 PM
is there any way to get rid of pop up ads when u surf a page? like that stupid camera that has that new pan/tilt feature?!?

LBPound
02-24-02, 11:30 PM
I'm sure there are better pop-up ad killers, but I use POW! from AnalogX (www.analogx.com) and you tell it which windows to kill. It has "slammed" over 1000 windows since I installed it which is a lot of time saved when you do the math. But you have to keep telling it when a new popup window comes up that you have never seen before. So 1 time you tell it, it closes it everytime after that. Sure there are better ones, but this is what I was recommended and it's better than nothing.

DarkElf
02-25-02, 03:36 AM
I use SurfPlus, which is okay, but I've been too lazy to find a better one. It allows you define what type of window to allow. Since most pop-up ads are defined to be a certain size, I disallow every pop-up window which aren't full screen. I also configure it to ask me if I want to allow the full screen window, for the full screen ads that you occasionally run into. It's a pain, yeah, but since installing it, I haven't had one pop-up ad bother me.

criptik28
02-25-02, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by LBPound
I'm sure there are better pop-up ad killers, but I use POW! from AnalogX (www.analogx.com) and you tell it which windows to kill. It has "slammed" over 1000 windows since I installed it which is a lot of time saved when you do the math. But you have to keep telling it when a new popup window comes up that you have never seen before. So 1 time you tell it, it closes it everytime after that. Sure there are better ones, but this is what I was recommended and it's better than nothing.

I'll second this product. I've only been using it for about two weeks, but already it's caught about 300 pop-ups for me. :up:

eedoon
02-26-02, 04:35 AM
Hmm... how about system resources??? I have a relatively slow computer and I don't want to have a lot of programs on my background...

monkeyboy
02-26-02, 04:59 AM
check out a program called, pop up stopper here (http://www.panicware.com/product_dpps.html) . it's the best i've found, although i can't tell you specifics on system memory usage. it kills every pop up and pop under window i've encountered. it also allows you to bypass the killer feature by holding the ctrl key down, thereby letting the window live to see another day. plus, it's free.

Canes98
02-26-02, 03:20 PM
I us adpurger...get it at www.adpurger.com

I don't know if its the best, but it works.

jumbojp
02-26-02, 03:24 PM
A bit OT, but I use Analog X's Cookie Wall and it has deleted over 3,000 cookies from my system in just over a month!

That is just wild AND crazy:)

huzefa
02-26-02, 03:26 PM
The best one I've used (and am still using) is Pop-up Ad Killer from www.meaya.com It stops all the pop-ups, and if there's a pop-up you want to see, just press shift to disable it momentarily. Best part is it only uses less than 5 megs of memory and less than 1% of system resources.

LBPound
02-26-02, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by eedoon
Hmm... how about system resources??? I have a relatively slow computer and I don't want to have a lot of programs on my background...

I can only speak of POW!, but on my 128 MB RAM computer, there is never even a slight problem with several programs running. It seems to take up as little memory as possible. Just one running file.

Blake
02-26-02, 08:22 PM
I use POW! as well and right now I'm up to 3,219 windows closed. It's a great program - and very easy to use. Highly recommended.

eedoon
02-27-02, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by LBPound

I can only speak of POW!, but on my 128 MB RAM computer, there is never even a slight problem with several programs running. It seems to take up as little memory as possible. Just one running file.

Hmm... all right then. Is that a downloadable programs, or do you have to buy it somewhere...???