Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

So, what's the verdict on Total Action Universe?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-02, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After looking at their prices for a handful of titles, I've been thinking about giving Total Action Universe a try. After looking through threads about them, I've seen a lot of negative things concerning TAU. Many people received their orders months after they were placed. Other people have multiple shipments from TAU not even show up. Should I trust my money with TAU or should I take my business elsewhere for a few bucks more?
Old 02-24-02, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've only ordered once from them and it was X-files season 1. It took about 3 weeks to arrive. That really isn't too bad coming from Canada, especially when the price is right.
Old 02-24-02, 04:32 AM

Also check www.absound.ca They may be cheaper for the stuff you are after.

My one experience with TAU was mixed. The DVDs shipped quickly and were well packaged, but Clerks was empty. Their return process was a nightmare, and it took 6 weeks to dispatch a replacement (after I'd had to send the empty case back at my expense).
Old 02-24-02, 06:09 AM

When they had their free shipping weekend in october 2001 I ordered 9 titles, 6 were shipped in the week after, 3 were shipped 2-3 weeks later.
All were received in 10-15 days.
Old 02-24-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by samuelowens
Also check www.absound.ca They may be cheaper for the stuff you are after.

My one experience with TAU was mixed. The DVDs shipped quickly and were well packaged, but Clerks was empty. Their return process was a nightmare, and it took 6 weeks to dispatch a replacement (after I'd had to send the empty case back at my expense).
I've looked at absound, and I could get the DVDs from DDD or DVDEmpire for cheaper than what they charge. I've also looked at NorthAmericanDVD, well basically I've checked every etailer in North America and TAU had the lowest total price. I'm still thinking I'll just stick with DDD or DVDempire and pay a few extra bucks.
Old 02-24-02, 04:47 PM

I ordered X-Files Season 3 and 4. It took about 3+ weeks to recieve, but they arrived in great condition. It took a while to process, and when it did, it took a while to ship. Their website doesn't covert the final $$ total into U.S. dollars on your order page. It only shows up on your credit card statement in the converted amount.

I would only buy titles that you aren't interested in watching right away b/c it will make you very impatient if you are anticipating the DVD.

BTW, I live in N.CAlifornia. I believe they are in Vancouver, B.C.

I would use them again only if it was a significant amount of savings (i.e. Box sets)
Old 02-24-02, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've ordered multiple box sets from TAU before, never with any problems. One time I did have to send something back at my expense but ah well..

Just don't expect to get your discs in a hurry and you'll be all set.
Old 02-25-02, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pre-ordered X-Files Season 4 last year. There was a definite problem with the US mail about that time (post Sept 11th) that resulted in many of us waiting forever to get our discs.

When my set finally showed up in Dec, the US mail had been good enough to crush the package with such force that the sides had split open, making a mockery of the "FRAGILE" stamp!!

I had to return the set. None of this is the fault of TAU. However, I was told that a replacement would be sent out either the same day or the next day. It wasn't sent until over three weeks after they had received it.

I eventually received a set in good condition, but my god, it took about two and a half months all told. I think next time I'll just pay more at Costco or Best Buy and walk out with the set in my hands.

Bleddyn
Old 02-25-02, 10:29 AM

I've had numerous orders with TAU, and they've always left me satisfied. They are especially good with box sets. Yes, the shipping is slow, but if you can wait, it's worth the extra money in savings. I also hit a snag with slow delivery on the pre-order of The X-Files Season 4, but that was a US mail problem. I wasn't in a hurry, and the package arrived undamaged. Customer service is very helpful also.
Old 02-25-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have only placed one order with TAU for three box sets. I can't complain about the prices but it took over a month and three separate shipments to fulfill my order.

Also one of the sets had two defective DVDs that I had to return at my expense for shipping. I have waited over a month for replacements and still have not received them. I did call and was informed the DVDs were received but they are waiting for new stock to arrive until they can mail replacement copies.

I think if I ever order from them again it would be for an occasional box set.