Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Wanted: Reactions from owners of Toshiba 57HX81

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-02, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ordered this unit and am expecting delivery within a few weeks. (Got it for $2500 plus 5.5% WI sales tax, including delivery to my third-level loft, and set-up, from a local retailer. How'd I do?) It's not too late to change my mind, so I would like to hear "the good, the bad and the ugly" about this set. It's replacing my Toshiba TW40X81, with which I've been quite satisfied, and am especially keen to hear about significant differences (again, good or bad) between the two. I will be using the TV with a JVC progressive scan DVD player (XV-FA95GD), a standard (non-HD) DirecTV receiver, and an XBox (which doubles as the bedroom DVD player when we're sleepy and not too lazy to bring it downstairs) via the HD kit. What can I expect?

I also can extend the warranty to 3-years total for an additional $150. I've had no problems with my 40X81 in 2 1/3 years, and did not do an extended warranty on that model. Would you recommend the extension at this price?

Thanks for all of your responses, and if anyone is looking for a good deal on a TW40X81 (with stand!), lemme know!!!

Vinnie

Last edited by vrsuarez; 02-21-02 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-22-02, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased the Toshiba 50HX81 last week. Love it.

See this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=185472

for a post by Geofferson that includes a link to Hometheatrespot. Check out the Toshiba corner. I got some good info there.

FWIW that is a great price you paid.
Old 02-22-02, 10:49 AM

Thanks FiveO! I appreciate the response, and the useful link!
Old 02-22-02, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah, i've been reading the toshiba forum at the SPot for a few months now. i'm planning on purchasing a new HD ready set this fall when the new models come out.

the overall concensus seems to be that the Toshiba sets are the best bang for the buck. they also produce an excellent picture after convergence and look even better after a professional calibration by an ISF technician.

there are a few downsides. many people have complained about ghosting problems. Toshiba has apparently acknowledged that a "small" number of people have been affected by this problem. while some ghosting can be reduced by tweaking the set, many people have either had to return/exchange the set or just decide to live with it.

the Toshiba upconverts all 480p signals into 540p. some people think that this produces additional artifacts and would have preferred if the set left the signal unaltered at 480p.

lastly, the current Toshiba models do not have any IEEE 1394 (Firewire) or DVI inputs for future compatibility with set top boxes, etc. whether either of these formats will ever become the standard for transmitting encrypted signals remains to be seen. and some people think that if it happens it will be a few years from now at the earliest. even then the worst thing that happens is you are forced to watch pay-per-view movies or premium content (HBO, etc.) in a non HD format (480p.) personally, if i'm spending $2500 on a TV i want it to have some inputs for future encryption. several manufacturers already include firewire and DVI connections on their current sets and i don't see why i should go with a new set that doesn't offer them. so, hopefully the new Toshiba models due out this fall will have it, although Toshiba has not yet made an official statement that they will.

bottom line, if you watch a lot of DVD's you will be very happy with this set now. if you have access to HD material from your cable provider (many offer the network stations and HBO/Showtime) or via satellite (sports fans rave about HDNET on DirecTv) you will love this set now. as for the future, no product is ever perfect and there is always something better around the corner. if you want a tv to hold you for the next 5 years then you made a great choice.
Old 03-04-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also just replaced my TW40X81 with the 57HX81. I love it!