What should be my first xbox game...I'm looking for High Replay Value

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking for a game with High Replay value for the Xbox. I thinking about Project Gotham Racing, or Dead or Alive 3. Are there any other games that have a high replay value??? Thanks
Old 02-20-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HALO!

or a sports game
Old 02-20-02, 10:18 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halo, Halo, Halo.

Not only does it take a long time to beat (for me: 36 hours on Heroic), you can play the multiplayer online if you have broadband and a $20 hub.

Here are some reviews on the best game for the XBox:

IGN: 9.7

Gamespot: 9.7
Old 02-20-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: What should be my first xbox game...I'm looking for High Replay Value

Originally posted by golucky
I am looking for a game with High Replay value for the Xbox...Dead or Alive 3.
High Replay value and DoA3 do not go hand in hand. Other than sports games Halo is one of the only good games with a high replay value.
Old 02-20-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Halo and DOA3 are probably the way to go. Of course, if you can only afford an XBox and one game, you could get a Gamecube, a memory card, an extra controller, and two games for the same $350.
Old 02-20-02, 10:53 AM

DOA 3 is a renter. It has little or no replayability. In factit took me all of about 2 hours to beat the boss with each of the characters. I would put my money on HALO. It's the first game that I actually went back and played through on each difficulty level.

Also, AMPED is a very deep and cool game, if you're into Tony Hawk-style sports games. I love snow-boarding to my own tunes that I burned on the hard drive.

Project Gotham will keep you busy for a long time as well.
Old 02-20-02, 11:12 AM

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
I really prefer to play first person shooters on the PC, so halo's really not in the running.... I am leaning toward ProjectGR... I'm also waiting for Tony Hawk 3.... Are there any other games that I should be on the lookout for??
Old 02-20-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by golucky
I really prefer to play first person shooters on the PC, so halo's really not in the running.
I love FPS on the computer as much as the next guy, but Halo is a superb console FPS. It is eventually coming out to PC but there is no set date yet. Yes, you do not have mouse/keyboard control, but the way the controls are set up takes very little time to learn and master. It is not mouse/keyboard, but trust me...it is a good alternative.

Halo is also far longer than most PC FPS games in my opinion and has more replay value just on single-player alone.

My other suggestion is to go out and rent games before buying. The X-Box has a wide range of genre titles. You may find one you like that no one else likes. Also at least rent Halo and form an opinion from that before dismissing it.
Old 02-20-02, 11:38 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Halo's not in the running?

Why don't you go buy a PS2, but not GTA3? Or you could go buy a Gamecube with no Super Smash Brothers?

The control is nothing to be worried about. Halo is the best adaptation of the k/m combo on any console.

Your left hand controls movement like on the keyboard. Your right hand controls the gun sight like with a mouse. It's really very easy to adapt to.

Check out this Halo movie and then try to tell me you don't want to play. Just click on one of the links to play the movie.

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/warthogjumpmirrors.html

Last edited by Flay; 02-20-02 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-20-02, 11:56 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Flay
Halo's not in the running?

Why don't you go buy a PS2, but not GTA3? Or you could go buy a Gamecube with no Super Smash Brothers?
That's kind of silly logic. The only way that would work would be to assume that these games are the only ones worth playing on each system.

Someone could get a Gamecube for Star Wars, or Wave Race, Super Monkey Ball, etc.

Someone could get a PS2 for Metal Gear Solid 2, Gran Turisimo 3, Maximo, etc.

Someone could get an X-box for NFL Fever, Odd World, DOA3, NBA Inside Drive, etc.

And thats not mentioning the games on all three consoles like Madden 2002.

Different strokes for different folks man. Just because you think Halo is the best X-box game (as most people do) doesn't mean that it is going to be a must buy for everyone.
Old 02-20-02, 12:18 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I never said or assumed those games are the only ones worth playing on each system. I'm just using the top games as examples.

SSBM is the best selling game for the Cube right now. The same goes for GTA3 on the PS2 and Halo for the XBox. People are currently buying consoles for those system selling games.

Plus he apparantly likes FPS games on his computer. If he likes FPS games and games with high replay value, then it stands to reason he will like Halo.

Last edited by Flay; 02-20-02 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-20-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kabuki Warriors
Old 02-20-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let's keep on the topic of X-Box games, let's not divert this to other systems...it just breeds pissing matches between posters IMO.
Old 02-20-02, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Kabuki Warriors
And he is joking golucky...this is a VERY bad game. He should have put a wink instead of a smile after that.
Old 02-20-02, 01:06 PM

To further support the opinions here, I'd say get Halo. My second suggestion would be Amped.

Stay away from DOA3, unless you are really into fighter games like that. It isn't worth it. It looks great, but there is not alot to do in single player mode.
Old 02-20-02, 01:13 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by AgtFox

And he is joking golucky...this is a VERY bad game. He should have put a wink instead of a smile after that.
Get Halo and Amped and PGR. ClarkKentKYJelly was joking.
Old 02-20-02, 01:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Personally I am partial to SSX Tricky.
Old 02-20-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why not rent a few games and see what he likes to play? Like everyone has been saying, to each their own, and what better way to see if you like something (and if it has replayability), than to rent first. It'll only cost you about $12 for 3 games. Pick 3 you think you might like, then buy them if you like them. It's better to pay $12 for renting 3 games plus $50 for one you do like than $50 for a game you hate and then still have to drop another 50 to get a game you do like.
Old 02-20-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Halo is also far longer than most PC FPS games in my opinion and has more replay value just on single-player alone.
As if... Halo is pretty short by my estimation and the only thing that makes it seem long is they make you do the same level 3 or 4 times (8 or 9 times when you get to the flood) each and change it ever so slightly (like a guy will be hiding behind the left pillar this time instead of the right one). I found it kinda repetitive actually - only thing that kept me going was that they'd pop something new in just when I'd be about ready to say "screw it."

Anyway - I think everyone's overhyping Halo. It's a great game - it has a great look and it plays well on this console. I'm primarily a FPS gamer and only on PC, I've played quite a few FPS games on consoles and none of them are as easy to control as this - the controls for Halo are so easily adaptable coming from a mouse/keyboard config. It does get repetitive at times, and I think alot of the scenery is plain and boring and drab. It does have nice graphics and the gameplay is pretty tight, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it has alot of replay value and I certainly don't think it's the best FPS game I've ever played, but it's among them I suppose. Despite all that, I do still consider this a title that should be owned.

My suggestion would be to rent some titles. My roommate had a PS2 since launch. He bought it because of Metal Gear Solid 2 (poor guy) and for the first year he had it he only had bought one or two games - he pretty much just rented games during the first year. Halo can be rented and beat during a single rental period. Project Gotham Racing just makes you thirsty for more games - it was my first game and it made me want to go get more so I bought like six more and never really played it again... then after I had played everything else, I went back to Project Gotham and found it to be a super fun game. It's pretty large and very challenging, but you get better at it as you go. This one is a good candidate for a purchase. THPS2X is a good choice if you like Tony Hawk. Jet Set Radio Future is a quirky title that's sure to be a hit for some people and it comes out soon enough. Dark Summit is entertaining, but may not be a good solo title. Silent Hill 2 just rules, but only if you like adventure games. Amped is great - much like Gotham Racing it's challenging and beautiful. Gameplay is good and the game is huge. DOA3 has lots of replay value if you have a roommate to play it with - the single player is really really easy and short. There are endless moves and counter moves that you can learn though, so I think the scope of this game is pretty deep as well. Wreckless is one I'd suggest avoiding. Cel Damage is fun in both single player and multiplayer... might be worth considering. Blood Wake has a great look, but the story that drives the single player is pretty weak. Airforce Delta Storm isn't as cool as Afterburner, Fuzion Frenzy is good if you have 3 roommates, Oddworld is good if you like Adventure games and the Oddworld series, and Mad Dash Racing is kinda like Crash Bandicoot meets Mario Kart. I guess I'd suggest putting the extra 50 bucks towards an AV kit and an extra controller and just rent games for awhile until games like Malice or The Thing come out.
Old 02-20-02, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Get Halo and Amped and PGR. ClarkKentKYJelly was joking.
Grrrr. Them's fighting words Pig.

I think a smile was enough. Anyone who can even do the tiniest bit of research will figure out Kabuki warriors is the lowest rated Xbox game.

You could get Shrek The second lowest rated game for the Xbox

Seriously, The suggestions so far have been right on target. Go with the higher rated games, like Halo, or DOA3. Don't rule halo out just cause its not on PC.
Old 02-20-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
NHL 2002 has the most replayability for me. But Halo should be your first game.
Old 02-20-02, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Trelach24
Personally I am partial to SSX Tricky.
Same here... that was my first Xbox game. And now that I think about it, it's my only Xbox game right now
Old 02-20-02, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
It's a sports game with a steep learning curve (as high if not higher than PGR), but it has a ton of replay value: Amped.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-21-02, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by ScandalUMD
Halo and DOA3 are probably the way to go. Of course, if you can only afford an XBox and one game, you could get a Gamecube, a memory card, an extra controller, and two games for the same $350.
I thought about this too, back in November. But having tasted the goods, for someone making a purchase today, I would still recommend the XBOX and Halo combo without hesitation.
Old 02-21-02, 12:08 PM

I love FPS on the computer as much as the next guy, but Halo is a superb console FPS. It is eventually coming out to PC but there is no set date yet. Yes, you do not have mouse/keyboard control, but the way the controls are set up takes very little time to learn and master. It is not mouse/keyboard, but trust me...it is a good alternative.

My thoughts exactly. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed in the hopes someone will develop a mouse/keyboard for the Xbox.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.