Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Vonnegut's Welcome to the monkey house

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-02, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone seen the DVD, "Welcome to the Monkey House." I am a huge fan of Kurt Vonnegut and of the film version of his book, "Mother Night." I was on Ebay and saw that his book of short stories was also made into a movie. Has anyone seen it? Is it in the same league as Mother Night( I know its in relative terms)
Old 02-20-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As far as I can tell, it was never made into a R1 DVD, but it was released as a 3 tape VHS set.

This also wasn't a movie, but a Canadian TV series of episodes based on his short stories. It was from '91 or so, and I caught a couple episodes on our local public broadcasting channel a couple years later.

If memory serves me correctly, it was a pretty good show, and if you like him you'll probably like it, if for no other reason that curiosity's sake. I think Mother Night was very underrated, and not having seen all the eps I won't compare the two. I will say what I saw was miles beyond his other movie, 'Slapstick' starring Jerry Lewis and Madeline Kahn though
Old 02-20-02, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, this was done as an anthology TV series (ala Twilight Zone) based on his short stories. There were seven 30-minute episodes. They were shown on Showtime in the States, but I'm not sure if they actually produced the show or not.

Not bad -- sort of the same quality as the current Showtime/Sci-Fi Channel "The Outer Limits" series. Some episodes were naturally better than others.

wakwak007: what made you think this was on DVD? Have you seen it for sale somewhere?

Edited to add: Found this link with an episode list http://epguides.com/KurtVonnegutsMonkeyHouse/ Looks like the first 3 episodes were a pilot "movie" and they did 4 more individual episodes afterwards.

Last edited by bboisvert; 02-20-02 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-20-02, 03:46 PM

Thank you, Renaldow and BBiosvert for clearing this up for me. I had seen a DVD for sale on Ebay and it looked liked a movie with several vinettes in it. I wish I had a chance to see this Tv show..I'll have to look more carefully than at the DVD as well.
Old 02-20-02, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by wakwak007
I had seen a DVD for sale on Ebay and it looked liked a movie with several vinettes in it.
Holy crap, you're right. There's a bunch of them up there... looks like a Canadian exclusive DVD. And, if the 210-minute running time is to be believed, the DVD will have all 7 episodes. Hmmmm... just may have to pick this one up. Thanks for asking the question -- I would have missed this!
Old 02-20-02, 09:04 PM

BBiosvert-
I'm gonna take your lead and get one myself, but not bid on the same one you have( that would be uncool) Good luck in getting a copy. Hey when and if please let me know what you think of the DVD...I haven't anything about it on the internet...
Good Luck
And thanks Again!!
Old 02-20-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the film version of Mother Night like? And is it on DVD? The book is great.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-20-02, 10:09 PM

Tuan Jim-
The Dvd is fantastic!!! I had wanted to see it when it came out in the theatre but it was gone too fast. So when I started tracking down movies that I wanted on DVD, ironically it was being released on DVD shortly thereafter, and I bought it from Amazon.com. It follows the book very well, it stars Nick Nolte as Howard W Campbell and John Goodman as the Blue Fairy Godmother. Both very good performances (Actually all the characters were true to the book) The transfer is very good so is the sound quality ( 5.1) and has a nice interview with both Nolte and Vonnegut. If you like the book, I would certainly recommend this DVD/movie it is IMO the best adaptation( Breakfast Of Champions was not however) I have seen of his work ( I haven't seen WTTMH yet) Trust me You'll enjoy it!
Old 02-21-02, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bizarre. I had never heard that there was a movie version of this. A movie of Deadeye Dick would be really great too.

incidentally, I figure you might be one fellow to ask -- hows the movie of slaughterhouse 5? Kinda hard to make a movie based on the book I image, but what do you think?

Tuan Jim
Old 02-21-02, 09:31 PM

Tuan Jim-
I saw that a few years back, very chessy, low-budget 70's looking movie. I didn't like it. Actually, that is one of my least favorite books he has written. So I 'm not looking for that movie on DVD. Deadeye Dick is one of my favorites too. (Actually I like them all but SH is just towards the end of that list. If you get a chance and have a independently owned video store(BB and HV might have it too) near you, check it out and see for yourself....Hey, let me know what you think..
WakWak!