Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Lagaan - awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lagaan - awesome!

Check out the review just added to the review section here - it says just about everything I was going to say here. I like to save my recommendations for things one might not have ever seen before and you have probably never seen anything quite like this. An almost 4-hour dvd from India about a small province's struggle with unfair taxation. the film is nominated for the foreign film oscar this year. And it's partly a musical(and what music!)! And the last hour is almost exclusively a cricket match! Unreal. Sound and visuals are great, highly recommended.
Old 02-19-02, 10:30 PM

I was curious as well and watched this film a couple of weeks ago. I have a hard time understanding why the film elements were in such shoddy condition. This is a recent film and highly praised in its own country. And having Columbia cram the whole film on a single dvd was questionable. It certainly could have used a little breathing room. But enough of the shoddy technical stats. For a film with such a modest budget the music, dancing, and costuming are wonderful. My only real problem with the movie is how predicatable and cliched the hero and villain are written. All in all it is a fun time to spend even with an hour of a cricket match to experience. 3/4 stars
Old 02-20-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
thanks for the heads up... may haave to check this one out.

-k
###
Old 02-25-02, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched this over the weekend and enjoyed it. It was my first Bollywood film and I would like to see a few more to see if I might enjoy others. They are hard to find on R1 DVD. Does anyone have any suggestions? I heard Taal is good but I can't locate a copy.
Old 02-26-02, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...They are hard to find on R1 DVD. Does anyone have any suggestions?..."

...have you looked here?...

http://www.indianblockbuster.com/

. . . . . .
Old 02-26-02, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks great site!