Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Phil Anselmo quits Pantera!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-02, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is ruined my night.

From Blabbermouth.net

Pantera frontman Philip Anselmo has sensationally hinted to the Dutch Aardschok magazine that he may quit the Texas metal act before another studio album is recorded. In the March 2002 issue of the publication, Anselmo states that “Pantera was my home for many, many years. I don't have a problem with anyone in the band. Pantera gave me a lot, and I wouldn't be the same person without them. But I think we lost a piece of what we once stood for. Reinventing [The Steel] was a step in the right direction, but it's just not like it used to be anymore. There is a time [when] you have to say: enough is enough. I don't want to be a heavy metal grandpa. I'm 33 and have broken all the bones in my body serving Pantera. But I'm not 22 anymore. I just don't get the feeling I used to singing 'Cowboys From Hell' or 'Walk'. No one knows what the future holds, but our last tour was with Pantera, and I don't think there could be a better-ending tour. I don't want to go on and on like Judas Priest or Sabbath. I prefer [the] Soundgarden [approach], who called it a day at the peak of their fame.” When pressed to be more specific about what this meant with respect to Pantera's future, Phil responded simply that “it means what it means, and we shall see...” [translated from Dutch]

Last edited by Anthony Soprano; 02-19-02 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-19-02, 02:07 AM

This is bad news. I've always thought of Pantera as one of the few remaining Heavy bands that have stuck with the music that got them there (Megadeth, I'm talking to you).

I really enjoyed the new direction Pantera was heading in, more towards Phil's side project "Down." I wonder if that's the reason for the dissention?
Old 02-19-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Let's see if Phil sticks to this decision once the money stops coming in.

A lot of guys have made bold statements like that before, only to find that they don't like struggling with their new bands.

But, hey - Pantera could always get Terrence Lee back! A reunion of their original line up!

(Actually, those early albums were pretty good - a combination of Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Def Leppard and Metallica!)
Old 02-20-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure if the guy's leaving the band or not...

I remember reading somewhere (possibly in A.P. mag?) about Down working on new material...and it included Pantera's bassist as part of the line up....shrug...

I'd hate to see him leave the band, but everyone's gotta do what they gotta do (boy...ain't that a profound statement....yeesh)
Old 02-20-02, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Originally posted by harpo787

I'd hate to see him leave the band, but everyone's gotta do what they gotta do (boy...ain't that a profound statement....yeesh)
True. I'd hate to see him leave, but I can respect his decision if he's no longer into doing it.