Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Computer slows waaaaay down after being on all day?

CharlesC
02-18-02, 12:11 PM
So like the subject says, I've been noticing this problem on the weekends when I will leave the computer on for about 8 hours at a time sometimes. Later on in the day things will get very, very sluggish (takes about 2 minutes to open a simple app).

I thought that maybe it might be overheating, but nothing is overclocked and I've never had a problem before. Also, if I reboot then everything seems to be fine (I would think that if the problem was heat then a warm reboot wouldn't help much). All the fans are working.

It is a self made system 1200 mhz Athlon chip, geforce2 mx, 785 ram, dvd player, cd burner, 10 gig hard drive (2.5 gig unused).
Running XP (been installed for about 2 months and everythings has been working fine).

Any ideas?

twikoff
02-18-02, 12:40 PM
any programs that are being left running while your gone?
because if your leaving something going, that has a memory leak, then it could be causing this problem

HN
02-18-02, 12:40 PM
clear your cache in c:\temp (or wherever you have temp files) and IE/Netscape cache. start digging around for any programs you don't really use and uninstall them. delete old files or burn to a back up CD. then defrag (this is probably the main problem). that should do it.

--HN

Groucho
02-18-02, 12:41 PM
I was going to say the same thing as twikoff. Sounds like a software problem (memory leak).

CharlesC
02-18-02, 01:13 PM
I was thinking memory leak also (since I'm a programmer). But then I thought "Who in the world releases software that has a memory leak?" Things like that are pretty easy to run down.

I run a program called Popup Killer, Sygate Personal Firewall, and Norton Anti-Virus.

I haven't defraged in a while either, thanks for reminding me.

zuffy
02-18-02, 01:54 PM
When it get sluggish, open up Task Manager and goto the Processes tab. Check if any executable is using too much memory. You might found your memory leak answer there. That's how I usually tell.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
02-18-02, 03:15 PM
I agree with everyone here...it's a software problem...there's probably a memory leak somewhere

twikoff
02-18-02, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Big Daddy
I was thinking memory leak also (since I'm a programmer). But then I thought "Who in the world releases software that has a memory leak?" Things like that are pretty easy to run down.

I run a program called Popup Killer, Sygate Personal Firewall, and Norton Anti-Virus.

no leak in norton.. pretty safe bet there isnt a leak in sygate firewall.. try leaving it running without popup killer going and see if you get the same result..

and defrag -ptth-

RoQuEr
02-19-02, 10:17 PM
try using a memory manager or a memory defragger.

Also try rebooting if you only run Popup Killer, Sygate Personal Firewall, and Norton Anti-Virus :D

mikehunt
02-19-02, 11:00 PM
:lol:
are you serious?
I'm pretty sure MS releases stuff with memory leaks

Originally posted by Big Daddy

twikoff
02-20-02, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by mikehunt
:lol:
are you serious?
I'm pretty MS releases stuff with memory leaks

yep... winME has one of the biggest memory leaks out there