DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

$12k system help

Old 02-17-02, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$12k system help

I am looking to spend around $12,000 on a system. I am selling my current one and hope to be at around a net of $10,000.
Here is what I need.
*Widescreen TV, I do not have room for a projector and dislike plasma
*4 Speakers for surround
* center channel
* sub
*DVD changer with MP3 capabilities at least 7 disc
*Receiver capable of handling speakers
+ anything I am forgetting...do not want LD or VHS at all. Do not need a CD player, since I intend to use the MP3 component of the DVD player to store 100's of songs. If you have links to the best prices on this stuff, lmk. I have a factory direct source for Mitsubishi, if you recommend these. It usually saves about $800-2000 on TV's. I am leaning towards the 73" MItsubishi, which runs me $6200.
Old 02-17-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$12k, huh. That will buy you a real nice system.

Display Device:

The 73" Mits is an incredible RPTV. If front projector isn't your thing, you can't do any better.

Cost: $6200

Receiver/Amp:

At your price range, I would recommend getting a seperate power amp and preamp, because the sound quality is unmatched.

Preamp: B&K Reference 30 (Retail $2798) Street $2400 or so
Power Amp: Outlaw Audio 750 $1099

Speakers:

The PSB Image Series is simply the best value for both movies and music that I've ever heard.

Mains: PSB Image 6T Street $750
Center: PSB Image 9C Street $300
Rears: PSB Image 2B Street $300
Sub: PSB Image Subsonic 6 Street $500

DVD Player:

I own a single DVD player myself, so I don't know a lot about the changers. For your HDTV a prog scan is a must. The only DVD player with 7 or more discs, MP3, and prog scan that I know of for a reasonable price is the JVC XV-FA90B at $379.

Total Cost: $11928
Old 02-17-02, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

for the dvd player i don't think you will be able to find a quality 7 disk model. Denon makes some quality 5 disc dvd players so you might want to check them out. the DVM-4800 has received good reviews. there are also large dvd changers but i don't think they are known for image quality as much as for bulk storage convenience.

http://www.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=4

are you sure you don't have room for a projector? the reason i ask is that you can now get a very good HD front projector for the same price as that mits set, and you can make the screen size even bigger (100 inches.) the new sony models are very small. the main reason to steer clear of it would be if your room is overly bright your image can be washed out.
Old 02-17-02, 11:15 PM

Its the length of the room...i have a fireplace and a bar on opposite ends, so I must use the narrow part of the room for display, only 10-12 feet. I have been leaning towards the JVC dvd player, but I pretty much dislike the one I have now, because it is extremely noisy. Also, I am not familiar with PSB speakers, can you send me a link to something on these?
Old 02-17-02, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dvds4u
Its the length of the room...i have a fireplace and a bar on opposite ends, so I must use the narrow part of the room for display, only 10-12 feet. I have been leaning towards the JVC dvd player, but I pretty much dislike the one I have now, because it is extremely noisy. Also, I am not familiar with PSB speakers, can you send me a link to something on these?
you can fit a 100" screen on a 10' wall. i think it would only be a little over 7 feet wide, and the speakers can be placed behind it too. i don't know much about psb speakers but you can start here:

http://www.psbspeakers.com/

also i have checked user reviews before at this site:

audioreview.com

and in the future you can always go here (google.com) or any other search engine to do some research. that's what i did to find psb's website.
Old 02-24-02, 08:19 PM

bump-- any suggestions other than the outlaw, a handful of people have told me that it is subpar
Old 02-24-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could always have a motorized retractable screen come down in front of the fireplace, or possibly the bar.
Old 02-24-02, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dvds4u
bump-- any suggestions other than the outlaw, a handful of people have told me that it is subpar
Really, are you sure they are referring to the Outlaw Audio power amp and not the receiver?

Another nice amp is the Parasound HCA-2205A. A little more expensive than the Outlaw, but worth the money.

Last edited by skar; 02-24-02 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-25-02, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Outlaws new 950 pre/pro should be available soon at only $900 and is getting great reviews. Check here for some "beta" tester reviews.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...php?forumid=45

Browse around the forum cause there are some negatives about the 950(that are keeping me from buying it) I don't feel like going into right now

Another brand to consider would be Anthem. The new AVM-20 is about $3K and the MCA-5 five channel amp would be about $1200.

If you are going to keep it simpler and go with a high end receiver the Denon 5803 is a good choice.

A few other solid brands to look at:
B&K
Acurus
Parasound
Lexicon

Last edited by jumbojp; 02-25-02 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-25-02, 09:08 AM

I'd go w/ a Outlaw 950 pre/pro w/a parasound 2205 amp

M&K S-150 speaker set

Mitsubishi widescreen TV (extremely tweakable)
Old 02-25-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sony has a 400 dvd changer out, I saw it in a crutchfield catalog. it retailed for around $599.99
Old 02-25-02, 12:34 PM
Banned

As for the TV, I would have to strongly recommend the Mitsubishi. The picture is just so much cleaner and crisper than other companies that I have seen.
Old 03-01-02, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ivelostr2
sony has a 400 dvd changer out, I saw it in a crutchfield catalog. it retailed for around $599.99
True, but I don't believe that it supports MP3 or has a progressive scan output which would make it a poor choice for this system.