Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Hdtv

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-02, 09:22 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hdtv

I am not totally up on the HDTV's. If you do not have HDTV, will you be able to add on a box to your old TV and receive HDTV or will you still be able to watch your TV, but not receive it in HDTV? I need a new Television and cannot afford to purchase a HGTV at this time. I am hoping I will still be able to use the TV I purchase today, in four years. Please help!

Thanks for your help.......Bob
Old 02-16-02, 10:27 PM

Hello,
HDTV is coming but it's at a snails pace. It would be unbelivable to think when HDTV does get here that everyone will ran out and buy a new TV set. When TV started to be broadcast in color the B & W sets still worked. The TV you buy today will work fine for many years to come. Most of the HD sets sold today are HD capable meaning they are able to display Hi-Def if you add an additional decoder, though adding a decoder to a stanard TV set will not make it a HDTV. I'm waiting a few more years before I invest in a new HD set until there are real HD sources to make use of it's ablities.
Greg
Old 02-17-02, 08:12 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks GD for your help. Basically your saying, you will still be able to watch your old TV, but not receive it in HDTV broadcast, even if you have a decoder?

Most companies are doing away with annalog broadcast by 2006, so what then? I am stumped, but I am sure it will all work out fine in the end. Thanks again.
Old 02-17-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

More info here... www.hdtvgalaxy.com
Old 02-17-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Socobs

Most companies are doing away with analog broadcast by 2006, so what then?
I don't believe that it will happen that soon. Some clause about the market penetration of HDTV's.
Old 02-17-02, 10:50 PM
Banned

more info here as well

good luck!
Old 02-17-02, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Socobs
Thanks GD for your help. Basically your saying, you will still be able to watch your old TV, but not receive it in HDTV broadcast, even if you have a decoder?

Most companies are doing away with annalog broadcast by 2006, so what then? I am stumped, but I am sure it will all work out fine in the end. Thanks again.

yes, you will be able to continue to use your analog set if you purchase a converter to downconvert the high def digital signal to an analog one that your set can display. keep in mind that this is not the same as a high def converter box that allows you to watch high def programming on a HD Ready set that you can buy today.

regarding the switch from analog to digital, the stations have deadlines to meet along the way to 2006. by this spring all the major stations are supposed to be doing at least some digital broadcasts. by next spring they are supposed to be delivering 50% of their content in digital. that number goes up each year until 2006, at which point they are supposed to be broadcasting 100% in digital. at this point they will begin returning the analog spectrum back to the FCC who will be auctioning it off to telecommunications companies who will use it for cellular and other services.

there is some talk about the 2006 deadline being extended due to slow acceptance of the digital standard by both television stations and the public. this may occur but there is still some time to get the ball rolling. Networks are now airing more programs in digital or high def and are increasing their offerings all the time. CBS for example now airs all their prime time shows in HD. NBC and ABC also offer some HD content. HBO and Showtime have HD channels as well. the HD cameras and other production equipment is becoming more affordable and as the prices continue to come down we will see more HD programming. also, the user base of HD customers is increasing as HD ready sets are now available for under $2,000 and dropping fast.

in my opinion the FCC needs to step in and decide that must carry rules pertain to digital channels and thus require cable providers to carry the networks digital stations. after all, over 60% of the country gets their tv from cable. if the networks knew that their digital broadcasts were available to more people they would move forward very quickly to increase their content. and when the general public sees that high definition television is available to them they will be more likely to take the plunge and buy a digital set, thus dropping the prices even further.

if you haven't watched a program in High Definition i urge you to go out and do so. it really is amazing.

Last edited by broadwayblue; 02-17-02 at 11:46 PM.