Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Toshiba SD-4700 mp3 playback

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-02, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Toshiba SD-4700 DVD player and have noticed that it makes mistakes reproducing the large low frequency beats (i.e. drum beats). The drum beats are not crisp and clean like I would expect, but sound kind of "fuzzy". The only way I can describe this is they sound like playing on a blown speaker.

Playing the equivalent CD on the SD-4700 sounds fine, and playing the same mp3 file on a PC (through the same stereo) also sounds fine. I've tried many different mp3 files on CDR and CDRW media, and tried unplugging, and also resetting to factory defaults, but the problem is always there.

To make sure my ears weren't deceiving me, I recorded output of the SD-4700 playing the mp3 file, the SD-4700 playing a CD with the same song, and then compared the following 4 waveforms:
1) the raw CD audio source
2) the mp3 decoded using the Fraunhofer codec on a PC
3) SD-4700 playing the CD audio
4) SD-4700 playing the mp3 file

Waveforms 1-3 all matched well. Waveform #4 (the SD-4700 playing the mp3) matched well in most regions, but right around all of the large bass "thumps" the waveforms are a LOT different. It appears to me that the SD-4700 mp3 decoder makes a calculation error when reproducing mp3's with large low-frequency components.

Has anyone else noticed this on this or other Toshiba DVD players? Is there a newer firmware available for this player? I've called the customer support number (4 times) and all they can tell me is "it can't play from all types of media".

My firmware details (pressing "606 Zoom" with no disc in the drive):

SD4700TN-R1 Info
Firmware version: 01500 R 1
Chip version: 0x30154c0
ADP version: 0x9cbb006
BPU version: 0x9040500
Core version: 09.04.37.02
API version: 0x4090303
NAV version: 0x5090301
SRV version: 0x81090096

OSD Lang: Eng/Fre/Spa
Video Format: NTSC