Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : is there a way to break up MP3?

Thunderball
02-16-02, 11:24 AM
Let's say I Downloaded a really big MP3 file, and wanted to break it up into a bunch of little ones. Is there a way to do this?

KnightLerxst
02-16-02, 11:26 AM
Cool Edit or Pro Tools.

Thunderball
Originally posted by KnightSkywalker
Cool Edit or Pro Tools.

I tried Cool Edit, and couldn't figure the damn_thing out

Thunderball
Originally posted by Thunderball

I tried Cool Edit, and couldn't figure the damn_thing out

But then again, I only had the "demo" version so that could be why

KnightLerxst
02-16-02, 11:30 AM

But then again, I only had the "demo" version so that could be why

I am not sure if the demo version has the mp3 plug in. What happens is it opens and converts the mp3 to a wav file. From there you can edit the wave form. It is really simple. You will use the mouse to move a yellow line across the waveform. From there you can zoom in and out and cut and past parts of the wav.

Thunderball
02-16-02, 11:33 AM

I am not sure if the demo version has the mp3 plug in. What happens is it opens and converts the mp3 to a wav file. From there you can edit the wave form. It is really simple. You will use the mouse to move a yellow line across the waveform. From there you can zoom in and out and cut and past parts of the wav.

Nope it doesn't have that. Grrr.

KnightLerxst
02-16-02, 11:35 AM
Here let me try to help a little more.

http://www.syntrillium.com/cep/images/screenshot_cep.gif

Ok this is the multitrack view. You would just need the single track view. Which the program starts out as. If you open the mp3 in this, you will get waveforms like the ones shown above. From there you can click on the wave form and highlight parts of the wave you want to cut and past. To do so just left click a starting point of the wave and hold down, just like if you were highlighting text. From there you can cut and paste, just like text.

KnightLerxst
02-16-02, 11:35 AM

Nope it doesn't have that. Grrr.

Ok how big is the file? If you email it to me I can download it at work and edit it for you tonight.

Thunderball
02-16-02, 12:14 PM

Ok how big is the file? If you email it to me I can download it at work and edit it for you tonight.

Hmm, it's pretty damn big. About 55 minutes long...

Jerry
02-16-02, 03:15 PM
Go to http://www.logiccell.com/~mp3trim. You can alter mp3 files without any format conversions.

Oh btw, I don't think you can cut the files into many parts in just one step. That is, you have to open the orginal file, cut it, save it, then open the original and repeat the process again.

Hope this helps.

gbub
02-18-02, 12:21 PM
Someone asked basically the same thing, but here it is again:

I used this one and it worked out well.
http://www.heathcosoft.com/products/mp3trackmaker/index.html
The freeware version only allows you to split into 3 tracks. This doesn't mean you can't split up an entire album into individual songs, but it is some what of an inconvenience because you can only cut off 2 songs at a time and then start over with the remaining large track. Just recalculate the ends of the songs.

For example, if you had an mp3 that was 5 songs long for a total of 15 minutes, and the song lengths in order were 1min, 5min, 2min, 4min, 3min, your first run would put breaks at 1min and 6min (1+5). Your remaining track would be 9min long. The next run you would put breaks at 2min and 6min (2+4). Your remaining track would be the final 3min. I found drawing a timeline on a piece of paper to be helpful.

I don't remember for sure, but knowing tenths of seconds might be helpful so you don't clip any parts of the songs off, but it is extra work. You can pay $13 to get a version to do this all at once, but I didn't think it was worth it since I've only needed it once so far.