Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Ordered a receiver, help me pickout some speakers

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I just ordered a PIONEER VSX-D709S from Refurb Depot for $241.66 shipped w/ 3 year warranty. Great deal, I think.

Now I'm going to need some speakers to go with it.

I figure I can go two ways (I think so anyway). 1) I can spend the remaining $400 or so (maybe up to $600) I intend to spend right now on a full set including sub. or 2) I can use the fronts from my current DPL bookshelf setup (Aiwa 150W, 3 Way, 6ohm SX-NAV900) as surrounds and get nicer fronts (Bookshelves, no towers), center and a small sub.

I'm looking for suggestions. I've been looking at stuff by Axiom and it looks nice (not that I know what I'm looking at). I also know about the JBL N-Series deal for $250. I really don't even know what to look for in speakers for sure.

My room is what I would call very small (12' x 14') so I don't think I need a huge sub or anything. It would be nice to get some mains that will be real nice for music too, but my main purpose is movies.

I appreciate any advice anyone can give.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-02, 07:45 AM

Get Energy Take 5 Speaker Set. They can be found on the web for around $500. Great sounding and probably the best I heard in that range. You can always add a sub later.

Check out http://www.energy-speakers.com

Also, check at http://www.axiomaudio.com They make some great speakers to from the reviews I read at http://www.goodsound.com. The lowest prices system they have is around $869.

Don't comprise on cheap quality as they sound cheap. I suggest add decent speakers maybe one at a time. Like buy just the fronts and center speaker first. Save and buy surrounds later. follow the same with subs.

Good audio is everything to a great hometheater.

Good Luck
Old 02-16-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A set of PSB Alpha's would work wonderfully in your setup. Especially since music performance is also a factor. A matching PSB Alpha Center and a Sony WM-40 sub and you have your self a really nice system. That will probably set you back about $450-500 + shipping. If you want you could also add a second pair of Alpha's or Alpha Mini's for your rears. Either way you will be getting an awesome value for your money.
Old 02-18-02, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by kits
Get Energy Take 5 Speaker Set. They can be found on the web for around $500. Great sounding and probably the best I heard in that range. You can always add a sub later.
I second the Energy Take 5 series, as there really isn't a better speaker out there for the price. They are crisp as all hell, they're not "boomy", and they will last. Their sub that goes with the set (purchased seperately though) is supposed to be sweet too. I'm going after a set of these as soon as I can, as my friend's set sounds too damn good to pass up. The energy center channel alone is worth the price of admission, as I have never heard dialogue so clear in my life...it really is the best speaker I've ever heard under $2k.

I also hear axiom is good, so if you're stuck on them, no biggie either. So is Sound Dynamics (www.sound-dynamics.com). Check out audioreview.com, and audiogon.com. You should be able to find a nice deal on either.
Old 02-18-02, 02:56 AM

NHT SuperZero's will give the Take 5's a run for their money. They're less than $85 plus shipping each.
Old 02-18-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I love the NHT's as well. I purchased five plus the sub in early 98 and they still sound great.
Old 02-18-02, 10:52 AM
Cool New Member

I recommend the JBL Northridge Series or Studio Series. I love them!! Good deals on evay for them.
Old 02-18-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm interested in the Energy Take 5's but have a question. How are they with reproducing mid-range sounds? The fronts and rears are small, can they effectively reproduce the full range (excluding subwoofer bass of course).
Old 02-18-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Nefarious
I'm interested in the Energy Take 5's but have a question. How are they with reproducing mid-range sounds? The fronts and rears are small, can they effectively reproduce the full range (excluding subwoofer bass of course).
According to Energy:

Frequency Response: 80Hz - 20kHz +/- 3dB

Here are the spec for the PSB Alpha's I recommended:

Frequency Response: 68Hz - 21kHz +/- 3dB (On Axis@0 degrees)

Since most of us typically crossover to the sub at around 80 Hz, any of the speakers mentioned in this thread will produce the neccesary midrange frequencies.
Old 02-18-02, 12:28 PM

Others had strongly recommended the JBL Northridge set and I found it here:
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/de...sp?dpno=955425

Seemed to be a pretty good price so I recommended a relative buy them and the Sony WM40 (maybe the WM20 would be adequate for you) sub. I haven't heard them yet, but again the price was good.
Old 02-18-02, 06:12 PM
Cool New Member

The Northridge's are excellent. I went with a BIC RTR sub at 80 watts, since I live in an apaartment.
Old 02-18-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by skar
A set of PSB Alpha's would work wonderfully in your setup. Especially since music performance is also a factor. A matching PSB Alpha Center and a Sony WM-40 sub and you have your self a really nice system. That will probably set you back about $450-500 + shipping. If you want you could also add a second pair of Alpha's or Alpha Mini's for your rears. Either way you will be getting an awesome value for your money.
I second this. The PSBs are an excellent choice if you plan on using your system for music.

Last edited by nekobus; 02-19-02 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-19-02, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have four PSB Alpha A/Vs, and absolutely love them.
Old 02-20-02, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I demoed some B&W DM600 S3's today. Man were they nice. I'm thinking of getting them, any thoughts?
Old 02-20-02, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Scarecrow
I demoed some B&W DM600 S3's today. Man were they nice. I'm thinking of getting them, any thoughts?
They are very nice. Won't they blow your budget? I would also demo some PSB's or Paradigm's because I personally believe the Canadian companies can give you more bang for your buck.
Old 02-20-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by skar
They are very nice. Won't they blow your budget?
$320 for the pair. A little on the high side of the budget, but my budget has become a little more flexible then I originally thought it would.
Old 02-21-02, 01:32 PM
Cool New Member

VSX-D709S vs VSX-D710S

How does the Pioneer VSX-D709S comapre to the VSX-D710S? The VSX-D710S seems to be only $20 more than the VSX-D709S at http://www.refurbdepot.com so I'd like to know how significant of an upgrade it is and if it's worth it.

I plan to hook it up to a Energy 5.2 set and intend to use my theater system for mostly DVD watching and some television watching.

Any info anyone can provide would be appreciated.

Old 02-21-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could get 3 pair of Paradigm Atom speakers and a Sony SA-40 sub. That would set you up for 6.1 if the receiver has that or set you up for the future

That setup would run about $500 depending on how much you can get the Paradigms for.
Old 02-21-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Scarecrow

$320 for the pair. A little on the high side of the budget, but my budget has become a little more flexible then I originally thought it would.
If your budget has become more flexible, have a listen to the PSB Image 2B, a great speaker for the money.

"..these speakers are an extremely good value and represent entry-level high-end audio at its finest."

-quote from this review:http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/psb_image2b.htm

Last edited by nekobus; 02-22-02 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-22-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: VSX-D709S vs VSX-D710S

Originally posted by jlicea
How does the Pioneer VSX-D709S comapre to the VSX-D710S? The VSX-D710S seems to be only $20 more than the VSX-D709S at http://www.refurbdepot.com so I'd like to know how significant of an upgrade it is and if it's worth it.
I'll tell you what I was told by some folks who are way smarter than me when it comes to this stuff.

The 710 is a current model while the 709 is last years. The 709 has the same insides as a Pioneer Elite receiver (MOSFET amps and stuff) the only difference between it and an Elite from last year is it's not THX certified. The 710 is nowhere near this. It does not share the insides with anything from the Elite line.

Again this is what I was told. Do a search at http://www.avsforum.com or http://www.hometheaterforum.com to find more info.
Old 02-23-02, 08:01 PM

What are people's opinions here about PSB vs. Energy? I have a Denon AVR-3802 and my purposes are mainly for home theater experience. Any opinions as to which would better suit me for a strong home theater experience and even certain models if you wanna become more specific? Thanks.
Old 02-24-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Nero
What are people's opinions here about PSB vs. Energy? I have a Denon AVR-3802 and my purposes are mainly for home theater experience. Any opinions as to which would better suit me for a strong home theater experience and even certain models if you wanna become more specific? Thanks.
Both are excellent speaker companies. If I had to choose one it would be PSB.

As for models, the PSB Image 5T (fronts), PSB Image 2B (rears), PSB Image 9C (center), and PSB Image Subsonic 6 (sub) should be an excellent set to go with your Denon 3802.