Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

2001 music disappointments

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-15-02, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Many of my favorite bands put out new discs last year, but I did not like most of the new discs put out by these artists:

They Might Be Giants: Mink CAr
Live: V
Weezer: Weezer
King's X: Manic Moonlight
Radiohead: Amnesiac
Poundhound: Pineapple Skunk

However I really liked these discs put out by some of my favorites:

REM: Reveal
Tool: Lateralus
Ozzy: Down To Earth
Rollins Band: Nice

Did any of you have similar experiences where a new album did not live up to your expectations?
Old 02-15-02, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Kid Rock pretty much self destructed with "Cocky", but that's probably not a disappointment for most people.
Old 02-15-02, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Kid Rock pretty much self destructed with "Cocky", but that's probably not a disappointment for most people."

No, it's not. Maybe it's the first step of his being permanently banished from the public eye. 14:55, 14:56, 14:57.

I have a couple of more to add to my original list of disappointments:

Garbage: Beautiful Garbage
New Order: Get Ready

I listened to each of these once and they were on eBay.
Old 02-15-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-15-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Soundtrack for Glitter
Old 02-15-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree that Live's V album was highly disappointing, and in fact has almost turned me away from the band. What a disappointing piece of trash that thing is. I got tired of Ed's crybaby lyrics after the 2nd song. He sounded like a whiny N*sync wannabe .... and I LOVE this band!

Also agree with Radiohead's Amnesiac. After Kid A I was expecting another great one, but it just seemed like the poor stepshild next to it. Oh well, can't wait for another effort (from either one of these bands).
Old 02-15-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Ed's singing (or should I call it rapping) on alot of the songs on V was just silly. They just need to make Rock & Roll.
Old 02-15-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I had a feeling I was going to see a lot of votes for Garbage on here.

Lived up to expectations:

Weezer - Green
U2 - All That You... (was that this year?) I had given up on them after Pop {shudder}

Disappointments

R.E.M. - I thought they'd rebound for me after Up, but I couldn't get into Reveal
Old 02-15-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My biggest disappointment was Oysterhead - The Grand Pecking Order. I love Phish, Primus and the Police, but this album was terrible. While this is probably an unpopular thing to say, Tool - Lateralus didn't do anything for me either. I was looking so forward to it, and I just don't find it interesting in the slightest. Finally, Weezer's green album is alright but was still a letdown after the looong wait and the genius of Pinkerton.
Old 02-15-02, 08:10 PM

I thought the new Creed and Blink 182 albums were disapointing. They never pushed the boundaries or tried anything new. They just stuck to their formula, and hence the alubms osund slike they were written and recorded in a week.

I also agree on the garbage album. They used to have a bit of edge but beutiful garbage was plain bad.
Old 02-15-02, 09:05 PM

Yes, the Oysterhead and Garbage albums both sucked. I'll add the Eels' "Souljacker" (still not out in the US but released everywhere else last year) to the list. It's not all that bad, but was a big disappointment next to their previous album.
Old 02-15-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, not that many here like pop or country music, but the biggest disappoinments for me this year is Garth Brooks Scarecrow, Britney Spears' Britney, and Madonna's GH III. All big time artist who didn't put enough time into their latest releases'.
Old 02-15-02, 10:35 PM

12 posts and no mention of Dave Matthews Band's "Everyday"?

BTW, I really like Beautiful Garbage. It's no 2.0, but still enjoyable in my opinion. They are my favorite band, though.
Old 02-15-02, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by flabio
12 posts and no mention of Dave Matthews Band's "Everyday"?
Heh. I was going to post it but I wasn't sure how I wanted to word it. I don't actually hate the album per se but it was a disappointment. Not necessarily because of the Lillywhite songs that were dumped though. There was an interesting Rolling Stone interview about why they were dumped and I actually can understand and respect the decision. I do actually like most of the songs on Everyday, however, I feel the new producer (Ballard?) did a poor job and I've heard them performed much better. There are other things I could go into but this has gone on long enough.

Also, I don't know how anyone can say the Oysterhead album was terrible. I haven't heard any of their shows so it's my first intro to the band but I think it's great. Ah well, different strokes I guess.
Old 02-15-02, 11:46 PM

Madonna's GH III.
I didn't think that compilation albums were generally supposed to be included in year-end best of/worst of lists. To each his own, I suppose.

I did think her album Music, released in 2000, was quite good, personally.
Old 02-16-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I listed Madonna's cd because usually there is one or two new songs on a compliation cd. But for some reason she decided not to include any on this one. At worst she could have put some interactive stuff for the PC, but she didn't even do that. It just wasn't worth buying for anyone who has bought her last 3 - 4 cd's and has a cd burner.
Old 02-16-02, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cdollaz
"Kid Rock pretty much self destructed with "Cocky", but that's probably not a disappointment for most people."

No, it's not. Maybe it's the first step of his being permanently banished from the public eye. 14:55, 14:56, 14:57.

I have a couple of more to add to my original list of disappointments:

New Order: Get Ready

I listened to each of these once and they were on eBay.
Wow, Get Ready was one of my faves from 2001. To each his/her own, I suppose.
Old 02-16-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also think New Order's "Get Ready" was an excellent CD. Not a disappointment in the least. The Garbage CD is blechy on the first half, but I really like the second half of the disc.
Old 02-17-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

disappointing (still might be decent, but not great)

Cake: Comfort Eagle
Pulp: WE Love Life
Blink182: Takeoffyour pants...
Michael Jackson: Invincible
Matthew Good Band: The Audio of Being
Strokes: Is This It?
Creed: Weathered
Live: V

MATT

i like beautiful garbage as well
Old 02-17-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Meatpants
U2 - All That You... (was that this year?) I had given up on them after Pop {shudder}
That was 2000, even though the album is eligible for the upcoming (2001 even though the show is held in 2002) Grammy Awards, even though the song "Beautiful Day" was released in time to qualify for (and win) a few 2000 Grammy Awards (the show for which was held in 2001). Got all that?
Old 02-18-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind - I shouldn't have expected a return to form after the disappointment that was Pop, but their latest album is easily their worst ever. Is it just me, or has U2 completely lost their edge (pun intended maybe?) and started down that dreaded Adult Contemporary route. One thing that is blatantly obvious is that Bono just doesn't have the lungs he used to. I'm not saying that I want The Unforgettable Fire Part II, but surely this band has some visceral rock vibe left in them.

Depeche Mode - Exciter - I hate to say it, but my favourite band took a slight mistep with this album. The title is a complete misnomer as there is little exciting on this disc beyond "Dead Of Night" (perhaps you could add "Dream On" and "I Feel Loved" as they are slightly uptempo). The album does flow, but it lacks a certain edge and beat that DM has always been known for. I do enjoy this album, but I was disappointed. Andy Fletcher had called it a hearkening back to Black Celebration - perhaps that (completely bogus!) review skewed my opinion and raised the bar too high?

New Order - Get Ready - Where are the hooks (pun intended?) on this album? Beyond the fabulous "Crystal" single, the rest of this disc is a complete misfire and waste of talent. Completely forgettable - easily their worst.

As disappointing as it sounds, I think the above bands are really starting to show their age. Gone is the energy and enthusiasm of youth - and in its place is a more refined, but less interesting approach. They may have grown as musicians, but that growth has killed the fresh, earnest vibe of yesteryear.

Sigh. Perhaps they still have a few surprises left - but I'm not holding my breath.

-matt

Last edited by raithen; 02-18-02 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-18-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the contrary, I think All That You Can't Leave Behind is U2's best album, and I have been a fan since the mid 80's
Old 02-18-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aceyalone - Accepted Eclectic
Dilated Peoples - Expansion Team
Old 02-18-02, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by cdollaz
On the contrary, I think All That You Can't Leave Behind is U2's best album, and I have been a fan since the mid 80's
Better than either The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby? No ****? I mean, I like ATYCLB and all, and it's probably their strongest album since Achtung, but it doesn't come anywhere near either one of those masterpieces. It's a solid album through and through, but raithen is right--any edge that they used to have has disappeared without a trace.
Old 02-19-02, 07:59 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by Jason
Kid Rock pretty much self destructed with "Cocky", but that's probably not a disappointment for most people.
Funny, I think Cocky is a fantastic album. It caught people off guard, but it's just him as a good ole' boy singin' the blues...and that's what he does best.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.