Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DDD Price Guarantee a FRAUD

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always loved Deep Discount DVD. Unfortunately, I won't be ordering from them anymore.

I sent them and email to price match Disney's Hercules (Gold Collection).

Their price: $21.59
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=BVD018010

Buy.com price: $16.94
http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...7429&loc=14577

They gave me a song and dance about buy.com selling imported copies. Please. Its the Disney GOLD collection. Its pretty clear. They are just weaseling out of their so-called "guarantee."

FWIW, CD Universe also beats their price.
Old 02-14-02, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like I said in the last post about DDD, I have always been a huge fan of their service. But for 3-4 orders in a row, something has gone wrong. I appreciated someone from the store, entering our forum, and giving an explanation, but when I challenged him to look up my account, and explain what happened, he seemed to vanish. I then called them, and got the same song and dance, about the website taking longer to update, and apologies for out of stock items, even though I got a shipping confirmation, and waited 3 weeks for the item. I am done with them. I will go to BB now.
Old 02-14-02, 09:22 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The cover art appears to be different. One has red lettering ("Gold Collection") on a black banner while the other has red lettering on a gold banner.

The content/features on the dvd is probably the same but is it possible one could be an import?

I personally have the limited issue version.
Old 02-14-02, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

thats the same thing they said. but if you look at the blow up picture on buy.com's site, its clearly just a bad scan. you can see the hint of gold near the edges.

i am positive buy.com is not selling imports. buy.com is a legitimate etailer. i can see if i tried to price match a fly by night operation...
Old 02-14-02, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by dgc
The cover art appears to be different. One has red lettering ("Gold Collection") on a black banner while the other has red lettering on a gold banner.

The content/features on the dvd is probably the same but is it possible one could be an import?

I personally have the limited issue version.

The version in the Buy picture also dosen't have the THX or Disney DVD logo in the bottom corners.
Old 02-14-02, 09:55 AM

I just talked to the reps at Buy.com, and they assure me, that it is not an import.
Old 02-14-02, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried pricematching this one several weeks ago. They gave me some spiel about it being a Canadian version.

So I just didn't buy it from them. No big deal.
Old 02-14-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The version in the Buy picture also dosen't have the THX or Disney DVD logo in the bottom corners.
The buy.com pic also does not have the snout of Pegasus because the scan is poor and the bottom is cut off. The top is also cut off as the Walt Disney logo is only half there.

So, is this how DDD does their verfication? They go by a lousy picture? Don't DVDs have ISBN numbers or something?
Old 02-14-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by CRM114

buy.com is a legitimate etailer.
I don't know if I'd go that far...
Old 02-14-02, 10:10 AM

I just pricematched Harry Potter yesterday when Buy.com put it on sale. DDD got back to me within hours with the pricematch with no problem.

My latest experience with Buy.com consisted of trying to buy an item and having it put on backorder repeatedly. When I received an email from them saying it would be another month I cancelled the order. They shipped it the next day.

Last edited by journeywoman; 02-14-02 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-14-02, 10:12 AM
Suspended

Re: DDD Price Guarantee a FRAUD

I always loved Deep Discount DVD. Unfortunately, I won't be ordering from them anymore.
You won't order from them again because they won't pricematch some DVD you want? This sounds a bit drastic to me. The only thing that keeps me away from a e-tailer with the lowest price on an item I want is if they have poor customer service such as Playcentric. I order from DDD about 5 times a week, and have always been happy with them.
Old 02-14-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I always assumed that the
100% Price Guarantee was just BS.
So I'm not too surprised. In fact that
offer was what made me so suspicious
of them when they first burst onto DVDTalk.

However they do list the lowest price
on great many titles on my wish list
so I'll likely continue to use them as
I need to for the older titles.

Hope we don't start getting burned.

So far they have fixed any "billing errors".

Old 02-14-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I never had a problem with either DDD or buy.com. I did have a problem with this price match. I emailed them. They emailed me back saying buy.com's has a black bar, its an import. I wrote back refuting that ridiculous claim and they wrote back smugly defending their decision. It is SO obvious it is the same product. I told them to look in their local KMart ad and see the same title listed for $14.95.

I have always used DDD but my loyalty was very thin. Their "Free Shipping" is fine on a single item. Order 4 or so DVDs and their price become weakened. Also, the "Guarantee" shouldn't come with a hassle.
Old 02-14-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, the "Guarantee" shouldn't come with a hassle.
I hope they realize the they will be losing customers over this issue.

How many here have had them adjust a price?
I've heard a couple people say they adjusted prices
I was just wondering if anyone has gotten results lately
or is they are shining everyone on their deal now.
Old 02-14-02, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The picture on buy.com is different. Besides the color difference, note that "Disney DVD" is missing from the lower right corner. True, the picture looks to be cropped, but the top of "Disney DVD" should be visible (but it is not). Also, THX is missing from the lower left corner, but that may be because the picture was cropped.

I am not convinced that buy.com is selling the exact same version and understand their not wanting to price match buy.com's price.

What did DDD say about price matching CD universe?

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...04&style=movie

I would just buy from CD universe or buy.com if I were you and be done with it.
Old 02-14-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by JCJF10
How many here have had them adjust a price?
I've heard a couple people say they adjusted prices
I was just wondering if anyone has gotten results lately
or is they are shining everyone on their deal now.
I just got Shiri price matched last week... Was $19.14, after PM $17.42, just a hair cheaper than DVD Empire.

I've also had them price match on other titles (maybe four or five) in the past. I've had no problems with their PM policy so far.
Old 02-14-02, 10:49 AM

And I thought I was the only one getting the run around...

I asked for a price match for South Park: The Chef Experience.

It's $9.99 at bestbuy.com and $14.99 at DDD. I emailed cs@ddd and they won't price match because bestbuy.com screwed up the description of the DVD by calling it

South Park Vol 7: The Chef Experience

Well, they're saying it's not Volume 7 (which is probably true) but the title alone and the DVD summary are of course about the same DVD.

It appears that in order to save a buck (or five), they're going to punk me on semantics, typos, and spelling. Nice business mentality.

Of course, I've gotten worse treatment at Circuit City and Good Guys when I ask for price matching. It's gotten to a point where I don't give kudos to companies that advertise that feature anymore. They don't live up to the intent, and I always get the song and dance about the exceptions to the rule.

Elvish Parsley
Old 02-14-02, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yes, and I'm still waiting for them to get back to me on a price match on "Free Willy" from hmmm November!

I'll still use them of course, but this along with the free molasses shipping option makes me not such a big fan.
Old 02-14-02, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Enjoy spending $2-5 or more for your dvd's.

Shouldn't this be in the store forum?
Old 02-14-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, in this case, I'd be spending $4 LESS by shopping elsewhere.

Thus, the point you seemed to miss.

As far as the forum, this is the BARGAINS, and DDD "guarantee" purports itself to be a bargain, no?
Old 02-14-02, 11:42 AM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

buy.com is a legitimate etailer.
Old 02-14-02, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i am positive buy.com is not selling imports. buy.com is a legitimate etailer.
They do sell imports. They may be legit in that they sell you what you paid for, however they are not actually an authorized dealer for a lot of the electronics they sell. Most authorized etailers will not price match electronics with Buy.com because of that, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were selling an import of the movie.
Old 02-14-02, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by kilcher

Shouldn't this be in the store forum?

Or you could just go to BB and spend around the same without being lied to and hassled. If you are having good experiences with them, you should stick to them, but if you have had the 3-4 bad cases I have had in the last month or two, you should try other options.
Old 02-14-02, 02:34 PM
Defunct Account

Well, in this case, I'd be spending $4 LESS by shopping elsewhere.

Yea, I'd be pissed off to...imagine them making you save $4 at another store! The nerve!

Seriously, I've never bothered with price adjustments. Just order from the cheapest place. (Of course there are a few places I will not order from, but that's from being double charged or ever charged and then being hassled about getting it fixed. I had one guy at CD Universe tell me that he would NOT credit my $10 coupon that was in my e-mail conformation because I got a good deal without it! But I digress....)

I have been very pleased w/ DDD. Recently I had an order never show up. I received shipping conformation, but it never arrived. I called them and they shipped another order out via priority mail with no hassles. And this was a $80+ shipment. Also, being able to order just one DVD without having to worry about shipping is great.

-Videophile
Old 02-14-02, 05:20 PM

I agree with Videophile. I have been shopping with DDD quite awhile and have never really had a problem. The only minor snag I hit was with a price-matching concern recently. If their policy doesn't work in a certain case, simply buy the product elsewhere.

However, DDD's customer service is excellent, and they will try to remedy any negative situations. I received an email from a CS supervisor stating that their goal is to respond to customers' emails within 24 hours and they accomplish that 95% of the time.

He goes on to say:
DeepDiscountDVD is looking at our price match process and ways we can streamline to effect faster time service on "exceptions".
I hold nothing but the highest regard for this company.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.