Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Which Criterion pre-order?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-02, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rashomon or Fireman's Ball? Comments? I haven't seen either film but both sound interesting.....
Old 02-14-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haven't seen Fireman's Ball, so I can't comment, but here is my take on Rashomon:

First thing is first, how you feel about Kurosawa will determine this. I have seen many of his films (Rashomon, Throne of Blood, Ran, Seven Samurai, High and Low, Sanjuro, Yojimbo, Dreams), and I have yet to see one I haven't liked. I recognize his immense talent and appreciate all his films, though they do not have much rewatchability to me. Of the ones that I have seen I would say Ran is the most rewatchable and the only one that I would purchase. I would also say that out of the rest, Rashomon is probably my favorite. While I wouldn't purchase it myself, I liked it better than any other (aside from Ran.) So, basically, if you are a Kurosawa fan and own any of his other movies, or would like to, I would say go ahead and buy it, it is one of his better ones. And I suppose with Criterion doing the special edition, you really can't go wrong.

Hope that helps,

Dan

Last edited by cokeguy; 02-14-02 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-14-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Haven't seen Fireman's Ball either, but I have no reservation about advising you to buy Rashomon . I think it is actually Kurosawa's best film, although my favorite is Dodes Ka-Den .

Given that Kurosawa is one of the best directors in history, and this is one of his masterworks, it is a must own.
Old 02-16-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As a Kurosawa fanatic I must say Rashomon, which I have never seen for some odd reason. I guess I am waiting for a priceless GEM in the mail. However, I love Milos Forman's work, so I am getting this too. In this case, I believe my voice is not much to listen too, but Kurosawa is a sure card to play.