Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Advisory: Switchouse.com Closing

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-02, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Earlier this week we got the VERY sad news that Switchouse.com is closing their doors. We've had a co-branded swap zone with them for a couple of years (it was the SWAP DVDS link at the top which is now gone) and I always thought they were the best of breed when it came to swapping stuff online.

Their site is still up and who knows maybe they will find themselves a buyer. Just sad to see another one bite the dust.
Old 02-14-02, 08:26 AM

The site is toast now as well. Hopefully no one had cash tied up there..
Old 02-14-02, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice of them to tell YOU guys ahead of time and not their users!!
Old 02-14-02, 10:35 AM

So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, adieu...

Thus disappears all traces of my 180 swaps without a negative rating. There were way too many unpleasant traders but there were some great ones too. I'm sad to see it go- I've had terrible luck buying on Half-com...

I was still able to connect this morning to my help page using the following url;

http://switchouse.custhelp.com/

If anyone figures out a way to connect to their "Have" list, or to their "My Deals" page, would you share that info? I would like to connect to mine and make a copy if possible.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-02, 05:45 PM

Here's the e-mail that Switchouse just sent me. Hopefully this means I will get back the money I just made from a recent sale..........

Dear stickz2,

The Switchouse.com site has closed effective February 13, 2002. For
similar shopping and selling services, we recommend you visit Amazon.com.

Amazon, in their Marketplace area, offers a thriving market for buying
and selling used games, movies, music, books, and more. We hope that
you will take advantage of their great prices and continue buying and
selling on Amazon. Go to Amazon now!

For those of you who do not have contact details concerning recent
transactions, we will be sending you the details of your current
transactions, so that you and your transaction partner can fulfill your
deals. We have cancelled all proposals and negotiations for members
who had not agreed to a transaction.

Thanks for all your support,

The Switchouse Team
Old 02-14-02, 07:59 PM

300+ positive feedbacks and $35 in credit - I sure hope it all works out. No warnings about this closure really sucks!!!
Old 02-14-02, 09:14 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I remember them. I think they sent me an Amazon GC when they first opened. Oh, well. Another one bites the e-dust.
Old 02-15-02, 06:05 AM

File an FTC Complaint

I had over $120 in my Switchouse account from selling numerous games and DVDs waiting to be transferred into my checking account, which just conveniently happened to be in the process of "verifying", when they shut their doors yesterday without ANY warning (I never got a notice of ANY kind). This is blatant, premeditated fraud and theft.

If you are as angry as I am, even if you didn't lose a cent, PLEASE file an online complaint, for the sake of those who have been swindled, at:

www.ftc.gov

It doesn't take long and if enough people do this we might get some sort of retribution. I have called Switchouse's (unlisted) voicemail, no response. I have emailed their so-called "support" email address, no response. And now I hear that emails are getting bounced back.

Also it wouldn't hurt to send off some emails to Amazon threatening suit if they do not reimburse the amount in your Switchouse account when they closed their doors and ran with OUR money.

Sincerely,

Kevin
Old 02-15-02, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't give up hope just yet. I had ~$13 in my account. I sent them an email at [email protected] requesting that my balance be transferred to my checking account (which had just been verified a couple weeks ago). I just received an email stating that my "request to withdraw funds from my Switchhouse account to my bank account has been received and is being processed". It doesn't appear to be an automated reply to my email. I'll post again when/if I actually see the transfer.
Old 02-15-02, 08:24 PM

hello - Switchouse sent me an e-mail that had credited my credit card with $51 and some change - the balance of my account.so it looks like hopefully everybody will get their refunds

just letting you know
Old 02-15-02, 08:30 PM

They credited me my $10 too... without my asking.
Old 02-16-02, 11:09 AM

no credit here yet! I asked as to how they will refund my money. No answer so far.
Old 02-16-02, 11:18 AM

I think it will take them a few days at least to compile all of the custom e-mails and process the credits. I think it's best to be patient. Give them until the 20th at least.
Old 02-17-02, 04:43 PM

Just got email stating my credit card has been credited with balance of my account. Great!
Old 02-17-02, 11:25 PM

Over the past month, I've sold over $600 of items on Switchouse... I had several different portions of this $600 in the process of "authorization" for it to be sent to my credit card. I also had $140 sitting in my account without being transferred to the "authorizing" stage for over a week... I tried emailing customer service, as to why it was taking so long to get credited, only getting a vague response. Shortly after, Switchouse closed.

My heart sank.

So far, I've gotten an email stating that the $140 that was sitting in my account was credited to my credit card on the 15th. The rest of the money, I just don't know.

I really don't want to be screwed out of $600. Hit me.

-NJGuru
Old 02-25-02, 10:23 AM

Location: another ~GOLD TRADER~ from Fairfax, VA, USA .. GO LAKERS! =)
Did anyone get any additional feedback?

I feel so stupid for letting a balance sit in my account .. now, I don't know whether or not I'll get my $54.72 back .. it's less than some, and more than others, but it's my money nonetheless .. I've filed a complaint (at www.ftc.gov) per the advice of KevinSTP .. I'm wondering if anyone's gotten any additional feedback regarding this fiasco???
Old 02-26-02, 01:30 AM

So far I've only recieved the $140 that was sitting in my active balance... the other $600 that were in the various authorization stages are completely gone... I assume that I'll never see them.

-NJGuru
Old 02-26-02, 08:57 AM

Location: another ~GOLD TRADER~ from Fairfax, VA, USA .. GO LAKERS! =)
NJGuru- I sincerely hope you get the $600 you're entitled to! If I'm hurtin' over $50+, I can't even imagine the outrage you're feeling over $600.. geeZ .. how can they get away w/ it?? Was Switchouse a subsidiary of Amazon? If so, there's gotta be a way to pressure Amazon to fork our money over .. Like I said, I've filed a complaint w/ the FTC .. I'm wondering if anything significant can result from that .. If there's anything else I can do, don't hesitate to suggest it ..

Best of luck,
Tommy
Old 02-28-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Geoff, I don't know who designed the Share The Love listing service that's available here, but is it possible to set up something like that for DVD trading?? It's really laborious to wade through the postings of haves/wants, even with the search engine. It seems like it'd be a fairly small step from the existing STL system to something that would let us list haves and wants and get a username/email address when we find a match.
Old 02-28-02, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by Colleen
Geoff, I don't know who designed the Share The Love listing service that's available here, but is it possible to set up something like that for DVD trading?? It's really laborious to wade through the postings of haves/wants, even with the search engine. It seems like it'd be a fairly small step from the existing STL system to something that would let us list haves and wants and get a username/email address when we find a match.
Hey what a good idea. Since switchouse is now gone, I would love to start trading here. But I hate to go through those posts. Maybe you should post this in the feedback forum and let him know.
Old 02-28-02, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i had about 40-50 bucks sitting waiting to be transfered to my card. no email response from them yet and no refund
Old 02-28-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MaNiaC
Hey what a good idea. Since switchouse is now gone, I would love to start trading here. But I hate to go through those posts. Maybe you should post this in the feedback forum and let him know.
I'll do that right now. The lonely Feedback Forum... so often forgotten.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=188048

Last edited by Colleen; 02-28-02 at 12:00 PM.