Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Superman: Shadow of Apokolips for PS2

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-02, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superman: Shadow of Apokolips for PS2

From gamespot.com
Infogrames developer Sheffield House shows off its Superman game for the PlayStation 2.

The Superman franchise on video game consoles has been a complicated state of affairs since gamers first guided some crudely animated sprites on the Atari 2600. The task of creating a video game that captures the essence of one of the most recognized and loved comic book characters has always posed a formidable challenge to game developers. Some have been up to the task, while others have clearly not been, since what works in a comic book hasn't always translated into a good game. Considering the most recent entry from the franchise on the Nintendo 64, it looked like the man of steel was in need of a rescue. Enter Infogrames developer Sheffield House, which has taken on the daunting task of restoring the last son of Krypton's good name with gamers in its upcoming game for the PlayStation 2--Superman: Shadow of Apokolips. A 3D action game set in the universe of the Warner Bros. animated series, Superman: SOA looks like a step in the right direction. We traveled to Sheffield, England, and got a chance to check out an early build of the game.
I love all things superman: Movies, TV, cartoons, comics.... But I'm mad that infogrames still has the superman license after it's last debacle.

Superman 64 was easily the worst comic adaption game ever. EGM recently ranked it as one of the TOP 10 WORST GAMES EVER. Paraphrased: "Superman has 300 abilities and can lift Mt. Everest, but for some reason the developers thought flying through hoops would be a better excercise for him."

Hopefully they'll take Batman:Vengence as an example, or even the recent Spiderman series. But until they release some screenshots i'm going to be dreading this...
Old 02-13-02, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apokolips?
Pardon my french.
Old 02-13-02, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Fanboy
Apokolips?
Pardon my french.
Sure, "Apokolips":

When a pair of lips used properly causes Armageddon....geez!
Old 02-13-02, 12:19 PM

Just so you know, I didn't mispell it... Thats actually what the article said. I'm guessing Apokolips is a character...
Old 02-13-02, 12:59 PM

Apokolips is the homeworld of Darkseid, who's one of the characters from Jack Kirby's very rich Fourth World universe. Darkseid's a major baddie in some of the better episodes of the animated series from which the game appears to be based.

Jeez, I hope that didn't sound too geeky. Just one Clark Kent watching out for another
Old 02-13-02, 05:48 PM

Thanks And i think the reason why its spelled so whack is because Marvel already had a well known character named Apocalypse. THey do that sort of stuff all the time.
Old 02-13-02, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Thanks And i think the reason why its spelled so whack is because Marvel already had a well known character named Apocalypse. THey do that sort of stuff all the time.
Jack Kirby's "Apokolips" has been around *much* longer than Marvel's "Apocalypse." Since at least the 70's...
Old 02-14-02, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guys, I was always much more of a Batman fanboy than a Supes fanboy.
Old 02-14-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Just so you know, I didn't mispell it... Thats actually what the article said. I'm guessing Apokolips is a character...
I have to apologize for the teasing then. Looks like I put my Apokofoot in my Apokomouth!