Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Front/Surround Speaker Question...

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-02, 01:37 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am slowly building a home theater for when I graduate, so I am getting everything piece by piece. Heres my question, later on I want to get some nice towers for my front left and right, but don't have the money for them now, so can I get a nice pair of surrounds and a sub and just use those for now? I have no need for the whole setup just yet, just something to listen to for now and then later move the surrounds to the back and get nice fronts. This is what I was thinking....CSW S300's and there 12" Basscube to go with them for now. Here are the links.

http://www.hifi.com/store/category.c...xxx&type=store

http://www.hifi.com/store/category.c...&item=c1bc12se

Any suggestions???
Svence
Old 02-12-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Front/Surround Speaker Question...

Originally posted by csvencer
I am slowly building a home theater for when I graduate, so I am getting everything piece by piece. Heres my question, later on I want to get some nice towers for my front left and right, but don't have the money for them now, so can I get a nice pair of surrounds and a sub and just use those for now? I have no need for the whole setup just yet, just something to listen to for now and then later move the surrounds to the back and get nice fronts. This is what I was thinking....CSW S300's and there 12" Basscube to go with them for now. Here are the links.

http://www.hifi.com/store/category.c...xxx&type=store

http://www.hifi.com/store/category.c...&item=c1bc12se

Any suggestions???
Svence
For another $100 you could get a nice 5 speaker package like the Take 5 from Energy. Then if later you want to add tower speakers then you have 2 extra speakers you could do a THX-es or DTS-EX setup.
Old 02-12-02, 01:51 PM
Cool New Member

How Much???

For another $100 you could get a nice 5 speaker package like the Take 5 from Energy. Then if later you want to add tower speakers then you have 2 extra speakers you could do a THX-es or DTS-EX setup.
How much can I get the Take 5 for? Because I was looking at getting the sub for around $250 on Ebay and the speakers go on sale all the time for about $300. If the Take 5 isn't that much more or even if it is then that sounds like a good deal.
Thanks.
Svence
Old 02-12-02, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Take 5s can usually be had at right aroud $500 but I have seen some people get them for under $500.

The powered sub that comes with it is an 8" sub whcich some people don't like but it actually sounds pretty good.

You might also want to look at packages by PSB as well.

Some reviews http://www.epinions.com/484055_Energ...r_System?sp=i2

Last edited by palebluedot; 02-12-02 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-12-02, 02:38 PM

NHT SuperZero's are another excellent choice. 5 of them are under $500.
Old 02-13-02, 06:29 AM
Cool New Member

What about JBL?

What about the JBL NSP 1 series? I found them for $230 shipped at buy:

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90048408

And then I can just add a sub, maybe the sony I hear so much about. How will they sound, similar to the Take 5's?
Thanks again.
Svence
Old 02-13-02, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: What about JBL?

What about the JBL NSP 1 series? I found them for $230 shipped at buy:

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=90048408

And then I can just add a sub, maybe the sony I hear so much about. How will they sound, similar to the Take 5's?
Thanks again.
Svence
That is a very nice set and one of the best bargains going right now on an entry level system.

Alot of people perfer these speakers over the Take 5 system, and at that price it is a no brainer. I don't think you will be disappointed one bit with this set.

If you ever want to step up to larger mains you can always get one of the Northridge tower speakers and retain voice matching.
Old 02-13-02, 02:05 PM
Cool New Member

Sorry for all the stupid questions....

Is there ever a speaker that is too big for a home theater. I have been looking at the JBL Towers and I read some reviews online about them being "not for home theatre" and better off as just a stereo set. I believe it was either their 10" or 12" studio towers. Would these be to big for fronts? And one other question, there was talk about having problems matching the soundstage with speakers like these???? HUH? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks alot.
Svence
Old 02-13-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Sorry for all the stupid questions....

Is there ever a speaker that is too big for a home theater. I have been looking at the JBL Towers and I read some reviews online about them being "not for home theatre" and better off as just a stereo set. I believe it was either their 10" or 12" studio towers. Would these be to big for fronts? And one other question, there was talk about having problems matching the soundstage with speakers like these???? HUH? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks alot.
Svence
I think this is more a question of space and amplifier power. If it says not for home theater it may be because of the dirver composition. Some materials do not lend themselves to dialog and quieter spots.

As far as matching you would want to have a compatible JBL center to go with them
Old 02-13-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Sorry for all the stupid questions....

Svence
I guess there is really no such thing as speakers being too big, but as size increases (and thus driver size) speakers tend to take on qualities many times that could be called boomy or having gaps in the sound. My advice is test out the larger speakers before you buy them and see if they make a sound that "you" like. It is for this very reason I decided to go with bookshelfs containing 8" wofers (JBL Studio s38) over something larger.

When people talk about matching soundstage they mean usually that floor standing speakers only go to a certain height which may or may not be withing the optimal range of say 12-24 inches from the tweeter of your center channel. Smaller speakers allow you to use stands to help keep the tweeters as close as possible in a straight line.

J
Old 02-13-02, 02:51 PM
Sn0
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would also have you look at the pols right now. the 35 and 55 series can be had at a steal at places like circuit city and other places. I would also recommend looking at www.hometheaterdirect.com . I am also in your situation and I think I am going to go with the diva series from swan. check out

http://www.blueridgecabin.com/diva/

for info on these speakes I am going to go with a set of 4.1 and a set of 2.1 and a center. I would buy the 2.1 first and then save up for the 4.1 if I were you.

also try a rava sub.