Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Opinions wanted!!! - Stick with Apex AD-500W or upgrade to JVC????

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-02, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!

I am asking for some input here. Being new to home theater, I recently put together a "bargain basement" system (go easy on me - I know "home-theater in a box" is far from audiophile quality, but I am on a shoestring budget at the moment.) My setup consists of a JVC 27" TV (AV27220), the JVC Home theater pack DS-TP350 (basically a RX-6018VBK receiver bundled with JVC surrounds and an active 10-inch 100watt sub). I finished the package with an Apex Ad500W dvd-player. I managed to pull all this off for under $700, which I considered a pretty good bargain for a budget home theater. Problem is, my Apex has started giving me issues. It is under warranty and they are repairing it free of charge (except shipping to the factory).

OK - cut to the point! Should I just stick with the Apex (which worked fine the first few months I had it), or upgrade to either the JVC XV-S40BK ($143.98 shipped) or the XV-S60BK (progressive -$179.99 shipped). I don't plan on upgrading to an HD-Ready TV for a few years, so I really don't see the need for progressive-scan......but it is only about $30 extra......

What would you do? I would like to get a JVC model (they had good ratings) and I can then use the A/V compulink system to intelligently connect all my comonents.

Thoughts???
Old 02-12-02, 07:39 AM

I'm not real familar with the newer line of JVC dvd players, but the older generation ones were known for their numerous problems. Hopefully they have corrected their issues. (I am not anti- JVC, I have a 32" JVC tv and love it). I would do a little more research on them before I would buy one. You may want to consider a Pioneer or a Sony in that price range as a alternative. Also whichever player you decide to upgrade to, you should see a marked improvement in image quality,as Apex players are known to be weak in this area.
Old 02-12-02, 08:35 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the input.

I will have to look into some other makes as well. I am leaning toward JVC because the rest of my system already is. The receiver has their "compu-link" feature that can work with other JVC devices that incorporate it. If I get a DVD player with compu-link embeded, as soon as I insert a disc in the player, the receiver would automatically switch from TV-sound to Dolby Digital or DTS (whichever the DVD has). That would cut down on the "remote shuffle" and button pushing.

That being said, it is a "gee-whiz" kinda cool add-on that I would not be willing to sacrifice picture quality or player reliability for