Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

difference b/w ....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-02, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
difference b/w ....

what are the differences between "dolby digital and DTS," 5.1? is one better than the other? what does DTS stand for? thnx
Old 02-11-02, 06:19 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 are somewhat the same.

They both support Digital 5.1 sound, however DTS seems to be a little bit clearer and maybe louder. I believe DTS is a few db's higher than DD, which makes it seem louder. I know when I watch movies with a DD soundtrack, I have to turn it up louder to hear it than I do with a DTS soundtrack.

DTS stands for Digital Theatre Sound I believe, however I am not positive on that. The DTS Site is not online right now for some reason. You can visit their store though at http://store.dtsonline.com/
Old 02-11-02, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may want to also read the FAQ for this forum as well. Lots of info for your questions.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=165672
Old 02-11-02, 01:13 PM

:)

great thankx guys!
Old 02-11-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by wiz
DTS stands for Digital Theatre Sound I believe, however I am not positive on that.
Actually it stands for Digital Theater Systems.

Dolby and DTS are two separate companies that have each devised an encoding format for DVD. Although there are Dolby Digital and DTS formats for movie theaters, they are different than the home versions.

Basically, each format is a way to compress the digital data so it takes up less space on the disc. Full-bit-rate DTS takes up four times as much space as DD. Some people think this is why DTS tends to sound a little better, because it's less compressed than DD. However it takes up so much more disc space that full-bit-rate DTS DVDs usually don't have any extras. The DD version of "Apollo 13," for example, has a 90-minute documentary, two commentary tracks and a bunch of other extras. The DTS version has just the film.

DTS eventually came up with a half-bit-rate version, which takes less disc space. That's why you now find dual DD/DTS DVDs thatmay even contain a few extras.

In my opinion, the main reason DTS tends to sound "better" than Dolby Digital is that DTS used to do its own encoding of film soundtracks. The company was able to goose the sound levels and bass a little bit, which sounds better to the human ear. Since DTS started licensing its encoders to the studios, the differences between the two isn't as dramatic as it used to be.