Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

crazy maybe? but has anyone used centers as mains?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

crazy maybe? but has anyone used centers as mains?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-02, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazy maybe? but has anyone...

just curious,has anyone used centers as mains,meaning the same center chnl speak also used as left and right mains? making 3 of the same across the front in total-if u had the room would/did u place them flat as intentended,or upright,would they not image as well?etc.?(a sub or 2 is in the picture,so bass is not a concern)-i only ask because i am a disturbed indiv.and can get a really great deal on polk cs245i's,which in total would give me 2 xtra drivers in the front,than the rt251's for just about the same amount of $-(6 drivers and 3 tweeters,all identical in size-as opposed to 4 drivers and 3 tweeters-using the 25's as my mains and the 245 as my cntr)-for those unfamiliar the 245i has the tweet in the middle and a driver on each side-the 25i has the t on top and the d on the bott. i thank all u fine folk in advance-for your thoughts and/or sugges. "has anyone ever used cents for their mains"-------"""Christ on his throne-NO!--and whoever would!?!" thx jefff!!!
Old 02-10-02, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took the cliffhanger out of your thread title. It's less exciting this way, but maybe you'll get more people clicking on the thread who can share their experience doing what you're asking about.
Old 02-11-02, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Centers are usually a bit limited in frequency range and the crossovers in them would probably not suit them being used as mains.

They do make LCR speakers in the D-Appolito design that are specifically manufactured to be used for the front 3 channels and stood on end.

Hence LCR=Left,Center,Right

I think a better idea would be to use the same speaker you use as mains as a center channel. Just make sure it is shielded if you have a tube TV!
Old 02-11-02, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
It is usually done the other way around.

For example the B&W 805 can be used for all three front channels and they promote it as such.