Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Lying About Shipping?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-02, 01:35 PM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering about Amazon's "tracking services" for packages that were supposedly shipped. I got curious when Amazon's site showed that my local post office had "accepted" a package last Wednesday night that "shipped" last Wednesday morning, and I had not yet received it as of Saturday.

The details are that I placed an order for Moulin Rouge on Tuesday night, and was doing some playing with the payments in order to get the best use out of my free $10 credit card (see the bargain board for details on this). All of a sudden, within 5 minutes of my order, I was not allowed to change payment method or shipping options because the item was "shipping soon."

The next day, it showed that the item had shipped, and was accepted by my local post office that night. I just checked the USPS site directly, using the shipping receipt number Amazon issued, and the USPS said that it had been "notified by its shipping partner to expect a shipment." So, according to Amazon, the item shipped on Wednesday. And its USPS link shows that it was shipped and received locally on Wednesday. Yet, the USPS site itself seems to say that, while Amazon notified it that it would be shipping the item, Amazon has not yet mailed it out.

Is Amazon lying to us about shipping, and if so, why?
Old 02-10-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Well, guess this is a little different than your problem, but I placed an order on Jan. 20, and it had an estimated delivery date between the 24-28, however it still hasn't shipped yet, but it still shows the same estimated delivery date.
Old 02-10-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They probably pre-print the mailing/tracking label at the warehouse, and have it ready to be picked up. However, it probably was not actually picked up by USPS at that time. Also, it can take 24 hours or so for USPS to put it into their tracking database (I've checked items that I mailed with tracking via Priority Mail and it took 24 hours or so for them to be put into their system).

I also have seen contradictory entries in the USPS tracking info from one day to the next ... I've shipped items that showed being initially accepted by different post offices than where it was actually received, and then later corrected ...
Old 02-10-02, 03:57 PM
Hoc

Originally posted by sniper308
They probably pre-print the mailing/tracking label at the warehouse, and have it ready to be picked up. However, it probably was not actually picked up by USPS at that time. Also, it can take 24 hours or so for USPS to put it into their tracking database (I've checked items that I mailed with tracking via Priority Mail and it took 24 hours or so for them to be put into their system).
That would be one explanation if Amazon's site did not show it already having arrived at my local post office three days ago, while the U.S. Post Office tracking site says it has not even been mailed yet. Also, why is Amazon providing tracking information supposedly from the Post Office showing it was sent from there and received here three days ago, if the Post Office itself shows that its tracking information indicates that it was not even sent yet?

It's one thing to say that the Post Office tracking database is slow. It's another thing to say that the Post Office tracking database shows it was received at my local post office when, in fact, it does not.
Old 02-10-02, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, you are probably right, and that kinda sucks that it didn't ship. My point is that it is not uncommon for large shippers to preprint labels & "pre-notify" of shipment. I could see it missing the first day's mailing run for some reason, but it should not have missed the next day's (Thursday in this case), which should have meant it made it into the USPS tracking database by Friday. So sounds like your order sat around at the Amazon warehouse for at least an extra day (if not longer) that it should not have.
Old 02-10-02, 07:47 PM

Also, the wording from USPS's system is a bit confusing for many of our customers. When we ship a package, it is listed by USPS as being "accepted" at the post office--the ORIGINATING post office, that part they don't mention in their tracking system. Many customers assume that means it was accepted at the destination post office and we get emails about that all the time.
Old 02-11-02, 03:02 AM
Hoc

Originally posted by HKFlix
Also, the wording from USPS's system is a bit confusing for many of our customers. When we ship a package, it is listed by USPS as being "accepted" at the post office--the ORIGINATING post office, that part they don't mention in their tracking system. Many customers assume that means it was accepted at the destination post office and we get emails about that all the time.
This is not a situation where Amazon says it shipped, but it's not showing as shipped on the USPS site. Nor is it a situation where it just says "accepted." Let's be very clear about how it is listed. Amazon says:

"Feb 6, 2002 07:55:00 PM HUNTINGTON BEACH CA US ACCEPTED
Feb 06, 2002 03:17:13 AM FERNLEY NV US SHIPPED"

The USPS site says:

"The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper or shipping partner on February 07, 2002 at 10:18 am to expect your package for mailing. Status is updated every evening. Please check again later."

So, Amazon clearly says it was shipped and received, while the USPS says that, a day later, it had not even been shipped. Moreover, Huntington Beach is the destination office, because it is my post office. So, there's no customer confusion here. Thus, Amazon's supposed "link" to the USPS site, with a confirmation that it had been both shipped and received is a double flat-out lie. The USPS site says nothing like that, and the USPS site actually says specifically that, as of a day later than the package was supposedly received, it had not yet even been shipped.
Old 02-11-02, 03:21 AM

Sorry, I was just trying to help, I'm not saying you're wrong or anything. For what it's worth, the "USPS was electronically notified by the sender" thing could simply mean that Amazon uploaded their shipping data file to the USPS servers a day after they mailed it. The whole thing looks weird, though, obviously something's a bit screwy. Probably just an honest mistake though rather than intentional deception.
Old 02-11-02, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trying to track a USPS package is like playing the Lotto. Why try?
Old 02-11-02, 09:20 AM

Yeah USPS has the worst tracking system. I've received stuff that still says it's someplace else, and I don't have it weeks after I've received it.
Old 02-11-02, 10:33 AM

I've seen similiar problems with my UPS packages shipped from Amazon.

I'll get an email from Amazon saying my package shipped (say on the 4th.) I'll check the tracking #, and UPS's site will just say, "Billing Infomration Received" which just means Amazon slapped a sticker with the tracking # on the box and uploaded it to UPS.

Three days later (the 7th), UPS's site will STILL say Billing Information Received! Scheduled Delivery according to UPS is the 7th. Nothing will be delivered. The next day, their site will STILL say Billing Info Recieved and the Scheduled delivery date will STILL be the 7th. On the 9th, their site will say, "received" somewhere in PA (I live in NJ and the package ships normally from KY) and it'll have Rescheduled delivery of the 11th.

Personally I think Amazon estimates delivery of items in advance (delivery from 2/11 to 2/15) so they hold the item in their warehouse and don't actually give it to the carrier for a few days so it'll actually arrive when they estimated INSTEAD of it coming a little early!

Old 02-12-02, 10:42 AM

my favorite thing is when you go and check the UPS tracking and see about 6 different stops on your tracking,then you get on the next day and check it again and all the stops are different.
Old 02-12-02, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by slax
my favorite thing is when you go and check the UPS tracking and see about 6 different stops on your tracking,then you get on the next day and check it again and all the stops are different.
I've never had THAT happen...

MOst recently for me I had a package that I ordered last week from amazon ship on Sunday. Well, it was marked with a UPS tracking # on Sunday anyway, I figured UPS would pick it up on Monday. Well now it's Tuesday and the item STILL says "Billing information recieved." Now I know Amazon probably ships a LOT of UPS packages and many probably aren't scanned as they're loaded onto the truck (probably loaded by the pallet) but they should be scanned at the UPS sorting center it arrives at that afternoon/evening no? Here it is 2pm on Tuesday and my item says:scheduled delivery 2/12/02. It still says the same thing.

Having this happen before, I know the drill. Amazon's site says Estimated delivery is the 18th - 22nd, meaning probably Thursday, the package will say, "location Scan" somewhere in KY. and begin shipping to me, to arrive on Monday, the 18th.

Meaning that Amazon assigned my package a tracking # on Sunday, but won't actually ship it till thursday to it doesn't arrive before their estimated delivery date(s). That's crappy service if you ask me.