Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Which Apex DVD player is the best?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-02, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to remember a while back that some people were raving about an Apex dvd player that was real cheap. Which model # was it?

I want to buy a cheap dvd player for my bedroom and Wal Mart has a huge stack of Apex players for $88.88. Not sure of the model #, but I do know it was DTS capable. Looked like a good deal, but I want to make sure that I am getting a decent player.

Thanks in advance for any advice/comments.

Badgun
Old 02-09-02, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just bought my parents a Apex player from Circuit City for $79.99. Sorry but I don't remember the model #. It probably has more features than the one I bought for myself a couple of years ago for $350. I will probably pick one up for myself because it plays MP3's.
Old 02-09-02, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just purchased the APEX 1500 from Circuit City for $79.99. Excellent player for the price! With a simple firmware upgrade you are able to make this DVD player Region Free. Works great on the Region 4 DVD's that I picked up in Australia.
Old 02-09-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're buying an Apex try to look for the 3201. It's probably their best player out their right now, goes for about $99 and you can make it regionless, RCE disabled with 4 punches on the remote control.
Old 02-09-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Low RG
I just purchased the APEX 1500 from Circuit City for $79.99. Excellent player for the price! With a simple firmware upgrade you are able to make this DVD player Region Free. Works great on the Region 4 DVD's that I picked up in Australia.
Where can I get information on a firmware upgrade for the 1500?
Old 02-09-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mikeyboy

Where can I get information on a firmware upgrade for the 1500?
I got all of the information I needed from the following site: Apex 1500 frimware upgrade.

Download the necessary zip file and create a data disc on CDR to create the necessary firmware upgrade disc. I did this with no problems at all and it worked like a charm.
Old 02-09-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just did this to my player today, was very easy.

Great to watch Family Guy on DVD in Minnesota
Old 02-10-02, 12:47 AM

You may want to visit this site which has endlesss debate and tech talk about all apex players and many of the other budget brands out there.

http://www.nerd-out.com

Ozy
Old 02-10-02, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is this a trick question?
Old 02-10-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They do have a player (one of the only) that does multichannel DVD-A/SACD that if it worked properly would be one of the best values on the market. However, S&V reviewd the player noting a large amount of noise, and countless people have returned this player for this and other reasons.

It seems like Apex does very little quality control testing, instead allowing the consumers to test for them and then provide fixes. At their low price, you should know what you are getting, but they are the second biggest DVD player provider in this country

My advice is to buy the entry level model from Pioneer, Sony, JVC, Toshiba, or Panasonic and save yourself alot of headaches. It may cost a little more but is usually worth it.

J
Old 02-10-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got all of the information I needed from the following site: Apex 1500 frimware upgrade.

Download the necessary zip file and create a data disc on CDR to create the necessary firmware upgrade disc. I did this with no problems at all and it worked like a charm.
Just did it. Thanks. It was pretty easy.
Old 02-11-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dumb question, do you need to upgrade the firmware to play PAL discs if they aren't region-encoded?
Old 02-11-02, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
instead allowing the consumers to test for them and then provide fixes
Works for Microsoft!
Old 02-11-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Peep

Dumb question, do you need to upgrade the firmware to play PAL discs if they aren't region-encoded?
No. If you have a PAL disc that is Region free you should be able to view it without upgrading the firmware. The manual indicates that this player can recieve both NTSC & PAL signals.
Old 02-13-02, 09:00 AM
Banned

My understanding is that they have a big problem with the try opening. Check it in the store if you can.
Old 02-15-02, 11:46 AM
Banned

If i were you, i would choose another brand. Apex is not all that good of a player, especially if you like very good, or high end quality.