DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help a brotha out?!

Old 02-09-02, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help a brotha out?!

Ok..2 questions..

If you hook a DVD player up to a stereo via analog inputs will it take alot away from the dolby digital 5.1?
My DVD has a dolby decoder and the stereo I want has one as well..but only has the regular analog inputs and optical..Only problem is, my DVD player has coaxial and not optical...

Last question..
I noticed my Toshiba SD-1600 is on the known list for the"Chroma bug"
What the heck exactly is it?
Ive never noticed any problems with the picture...

Gracias..
Old 02-09-02, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're wanting to connect the DVD player to the receiver through just the left and right stereo analog inputs, then yes, the sound will suffer a lot. You'll be getting matrixed Dolby Pro-Logic, not DD 5.1. You also won't have the option of choosing the DTS audio track if there is one.

If you're talking about connecting the player through analog 5.1 inputs (six cables), then you should be all right. You still won't be able to get DTS unless your DVD player has a built-in DTS decoder. Not many players have these, they just pass the DTS bitstream (the DTS logo on the player will read "DTS Digital Out").

I find it strange that any half-way decent Dolby Digital-capable receiver would not have a coaxial input. You might want to rethink what receiver you're looking at. Another option would be to buy an inexpensive coaxial-to-optical converter.
Old 02-09-02, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your help...

The system is just a mini theater system. My room is small so I dont really need 500 watts blowing out the windows.

Where can I get a coaxial to optical converter?
I went to best buy and they said there was no such thing..

Thanx again
Old 02-09-02, 05:14 PM
X
Administrator

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
There was a thread in here about converters around a month ago. Try searching for it.