Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Depeche Mode - One Night In Paris (Pay Per View Special)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-02, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

From the official website

http://www.depechemode.com/news/ppv/index.html

DEPECHE MODE'S 'ONE NIGHT IN PARIS'
PAY PER VIEW CONCERT
COMING FRIDAY, MARCH 8, 2002

DEPECHE MODE--DAVE GAHAN, MARTIN GORE and ANDREW FLETCHER--have announced the special "One Night In Paris, The Exciter Tour" Pay Per View concert to debut Friday, March 8 on iN Demand (8:00 PM EST), TVN (9:00 PM EST), Echostar (9:00 PM EST) and DirecTV (9:00 PM EST). Merging their artistic vision with onstage dynamism, the exclusive two-hour event, replaying through April 9, was directed by the pioneering band's long-time artistic accomplice Anton Corbijn at the sold-out Palais Omnisports de Paris Bercy in front of 16,000 wildly enthusiastic fans as part of their massive 2001 worldwide tour. Corbijn, who received a Grammy nomination for 1994's "Devotional" DEPECHE MODE concert film, shot the cutting-edge Paris show on anamorphic 16:9 Digital Betacam, using 13 cameras to achieve an incredible illustration of the band's intriguing and potent performance that gives viewers the sensation of actually being in the venue. The state-of-the-art location was chosen "because the venue itself is probably one of the best in the world," says FLETCHER. "We've played this venue many, many times, so for us it's almost like a second home in Paris." Noting the broad international audience in attendance, he says DEPECHE MODE "fans will travel from all over the world to see a concert in Paris."

Amid Corbijn's startling onscreen films and projections, as well as richly colorful stage lighting, "One Night In Paris" finds DEPECHE MODE delivering a passionate musical procession of songs spanning the group's career and accentuating the creative sparks of their current EXCITER album. Loose-limbed, bare-chested and tattooed, GAHAN compellingly lifts "Walking In My Shoes," "Personal Jesus," "It's No Good" and the Exciter hit "Dream On" to new heights, while exposing gentle reverence on such numbers as the current single "Freelove," #1 this week on Billboard's Club Play dance chart. GORE--decked out in a glam white-feathered boa, in contrast to his pensive persona--fills the arena with his lilting guitars and poignant lead vocals on soulful renditions of "Home" and "Breathe." GAHAN says that the captivating set list was chosen because "we couldn't have gone out and done another tour celebrating our past. It had to be something new. There aren't many bands that can actually say after 20 years that they're still trying to be creative." Reflects FLETCHER: "As a band, we feel very lucky that our music these days, 20 years on, stands up with the music we played 20 years ago and everything since then. It's very gratifying for us to play new music in a concert that goes down as well as the classics."

The mega-successful "Exciter Tour" kicked off June 11 in Quebec, Canada in support of the two million-selling EXCITER album which features the two-time Grammy nominated "I Feel Loved" ("Best Dance Recording," "Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical"). The trek wrapped up November 5 in Mannheim, Germany after 84 performances for over 1.5 million fans in 24 countries. The critically acclaimed arena/shed tour--on which they were joined by musicians Christian Eigner (drums), Peter Gordeno (keyboards) and Jordan Bailey and Georgia Lewis (backing vocals)--visited 37 North American cities with multiple nights in New York City, Los Angeles and Anaheim, marking DEPECHE MODE's first outing since 1998's "The Singles Tour," where they played to over 1,000,000 fans in 18 countries.

"As far as performing goes," says GAHAN, "I enjoyed this tour more than any other before. I really felt it was the best we've ever played and that the musicians that were playing really brought new life to the older songs and the new songs from Exciter. I was just floating out there." Citing the spontaneity of the Paris show, GAHAN says that the inclusion of "Condemnation" was a last-minute decision. "We rehearsed it that evening before the show. You can see a real vulnerable side to the band on 'Condemnation.'"

Adds FLETCHER: "I think the pace of the show was very important for a band that has been together for 20 years. We challenged ourselves and we challenged the audience, and I think it was very much appreciated."

Of the first of two sold-out shows at New York City's Madison Square Garden, Neil Strauss noted in his New York Times (July 3, 2001) review:

"The key to the band's music has always been its combination of dark and light, as embodied in Wednesday night's contrasting stage presence and singing style of Mr. Gore and Mr. Gahan. Similarly, its music offers a combination of light guitar and synth melodies contrasted with ominous bass lines or clanging metallic beats. And the themes it sings about are often simply traditional values (especially love and faith) seen through a dark prism."

In his review of another performance, Michael D. Clark of the HOUSTON CHRONICLE (July 16, 2001) wrote:

"Depeche Mode gave the crowd something better than a hit parade. It gave them reincarnation."

###
Old 02-08-02, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool!

No . . . wait . . . I take that back . . . it's only the "Exciter" tour.

*yawn*
Old 02-08-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by grunter
Cool!

No . . . wait . . . I take that back . . . it's only the "Exciter" tour.

*yawn*

Well, it's only 1000 times better than the "SOFAD" tour, IMO. So count me in.
Old 02-09-02, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Daytripper
Well, it's only 1000 times better than the "SOFAD" tour, IMO. So count me in.
You can't be serious! The "Devotional" (well, along with the "World Violation") tour was by far their best.

The "Exciter" tour was nice... but no comparison. The set list was decent, but there were some spots where the concert needed some serious energy injection. Also, the new songs are interesting - but disappointing compared to older material (especially live). IMHO anyway.

That being said, I'll be picking up the new concert DVD (whenever and if ever it is released) and I'll seriously consider pirati-... paying to see that special.

-matt
Old 02-09-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by raithen
You can't be serious! The "Devotional" (well, along with the "World Violation") tour was by far their best.

The "Exciter" tour was nice... but no comparison. The set list was decent, but there were some spots where the concert needed some serious energy injection. Also, the new songs are interesting - but disappointing compared to older material (especially live). IMHO anyway.

That being said, I'll be picking up the new concert DVD (whenever and if ever it is released) and I'll seriously consider pirati-... paying to see that special.

-matt

Oh I'm serious. The stage design for the Devotional tour was their best ever. But oh, I don't know, something about seeing a drugged out/half coherent/unrecognizable Dave Gahan (not to mention clearly seeing the paint start to crack with the entire band) just didn't do it for me. Call me crazy.
Old 02-09-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Meant to include, my favorite DM tours/concerts are (in this order, and the number of times I saw each):

World Violation (2)
Music For The Masses (3, including the Rose Bowl)
Black Celebration (1)
Exciter (3)
The Singles Tour (2)
SOFAD (2)

Wish I could have seen most of their shows more (like some of my friends who went into debt going to different cities all over the world).
Old 02-09-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh I'm serious. The stage design for the Devotional tour was their best ever. But oh, I don't know, something about seeing a drugged out/half coherent/unrecognizable Dave Gahan (not to mention clearly seeing the paint start to crack with the entire band) just didn't do it for me. Call me crazy.
I will call you crazy then. While the tour has been dubbed "the most debauched" in history - the concert itself, not what was going on back stage, was a visual and sonic treat.

I can't attest to Dave Gahan's coherence at all of the concerts, and while I didn't really like his scraggly appearance during the tour, I thought he performed magnificently (from what I've seen). The Devotional video filmed by Anton Corbijn is lush and captures DM at their peak, IMHO. The band should not have added additional dates after the initial run of the tour - but Alan and Dave pushed for it, and every member paid the price for the grueling pace they set.

Anyway, respectfully I will call you crazy.

-matt
Old 02-09-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by raithen
I will call you crazy then. While the tour has been dubbed "the most debauched" in history - the concert itself, not what was going on back stage, was a visual and sonic treat.

I can't attest to Dave Gahan's coherence at all of the concerts, and while I didn't really like his scraggly appearance during the tour, I thought he performed magnificently (from what I've seen). The Devotional video filmed by Anton Corbijn is lush and captures DM at their peak, IMHO. The band should not have added additional dates after the initial run of the tour - but Alan and Dave pushed for it, and every member paid the price for the grueling pace they set.

Anyway, respectfully I will call you crazy.

-matt

Again, while I'll agree that the tour was a visual treat (at least the first leg), I have to firmly disagree about it being a sonic one. Not only did I think Dave looked horrible, his vocals weren't nearly as strong on the previous tours. And we all now know why. Also, because they were going more for a spiritual thing on this tour, a lot of the songs were painfully slower than before. I went with a friend who had never seen DM before and at one point he turned to me and said "I thought this would be a more exciting show". Plus, it was the first time they incorporated live backup singers. Gospel no less. WTF? Sorry, none of this worked for me. I truly hated this tour. And it didn't help that I didn't care much for the album either. Save for "Mercy in You" (which SHOULD have been a single!), "In Your Room", "One Caress" and "Higher Love". Both Fletch and Martin have said years later this album wasn't their favorite. But then again, their opinion changes from album to album. Back to the backup singers, I really wish DM would scrap them altogether. The main thing I love about Depeche Mode are Dave and Martin's voices. The backup singers overpower them most of the time. And I didn't plop down my hard earned money to hear THEM!
Old 02-09-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And it didn't help that I didn't care much for the album either. Save for "Mercy in You" (which SHOULD have been a single!), "In Your Room", "One Caress" and "Higher Love".
I think this explains a lot. Personally, I feel the album was absolutely brilliant - though it did turn off a section of DM fandom. That being said, "Exciter" is, in my opinion, devoid of energy and a low point creatively for the band. Hence, my subsequent displeasure with the last tour as compared to previous years.

Both Fletch and Martin have said years later this album wasn't their favorite.
I'm sure you'd have quite a different answer from Alan and Dave.

But then again, their opinion changes from album to album.
Their opinion, like most artists, seem to be biased towards their most recent releases. I was shocked to hear Andy proclaim "Exciter" in the same breath as "Black Celebration". But then, what does Andy know?

Back to the backup singers, I really wish DM would scrap them altogether. The main thing I love about Depeche Mode are Dave and Martin's voices. The backup singers overpower them most of the time. And I didn't plop down my hard earned money to hear THEM!
Agreed to an extent. In recent years the band has employed backup singers to "supplement" the performance. During the Singles tour though I noticed that in some songs poor Martin was almost drowned out on his vocals.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks. We'll have to agree to disagree on the "Devotional" tour I suppose. You crazy, crazy guy!

-matt
Old 02-09-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think this explains a lot. Personally, I feel the album was absolutely brilliant - though it did turn off a section of DM fandom. That being said, "Exciter" is, in my opinion, devoid of energy and a low point creatively for the band. Hence, my subsequent displeasure with the last tour as compared to previous years.

Turned off a section? Try like the whole two upper tiers
Well, if you loved "SOFAD", it's no wonder you didn't
care for "Exciter" or it's tour. I personally loved the
organic route DM took on this project. Granted I wouldn't
want to see them do this on the next album. But I thought
it was a beautiful album.

Both Fletch and Martin have said years later this album wasn't their favorite.

I'm sure you'd have quite a different answer from Alan and Dave.

Well sure! Alan did most if not all the work on the album. And Dave? He doesn't remember before, during OR after that whole album/tour. But it was his concept so I'm sure he'd pick the album being his favorite. He's also behind wanting a live drummer and a band like atmoshere on these past two tours.

Their opinion, like most artists, seem to be biased towards their most recent releases. I was shocked to hear Andy proclaim "Exciter" in the same breath as "Black Celebration". But then, what does Andy know?

I agree. But you know, a lot of critics said the same thing. Like "Black Celebration", it's an album that works best listening to it from start to finish. As a whole. I think it's a perfect companion piece to "BC".

Agreed to an extent. In recent years the band has employed backup singers to "supplement" the performance. During the Singles tour though I noticed that in some songs poor Martin was almost drowned out on his vocals.

The backup singers (and the use of live drums) have changed the
dynamics of the live DM experience completely. I think Christian is an amazing drummer, don't get me wrong. But they don't use
drums when they record their albums. I personally don't think
they need them when touring. And they CERTAINLY don't need
them on older songs. "Black Celebration"? Completely ruined the
song on this last tour.

Anyway, different strokes for different folks. We'll have to agree to disagree on the "Devotional" tour I suppose. You crazy, crazy guy!

Guilty!

Last edited by Daytripper; 02-09-02 at 06:57 PM.