Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Geoff: Other double standards?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Why are Fear Factor and Super Bowl commercials left in Other while something on Will and Grace get moved?

This is mostly for Geoff, since he's more and less removed from the Other Forum.
Old 02-07-02, 11:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good question. I'll let some of the mods who moved them post their thoughts.
Old 02-07-02, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some points that may help:

1. The Super Bown threads were mentioned in the Will and Grace thread before it was moved, so it was brought up (in case someone says the SuperBowl threads were not noticed).

2. The Fear Factor thread was more about the contestants than about the show. The Will and Grace thread was more about a guest star than about the show.

Just wanted to make these two points.
Old 02-08-02, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a gray area about some TV things. When is it about a show and when is it about an event? I think that the SuperBowl commercials have morphed into a social event, and more about the ads, cost, companies and impact, than about TV. Just like discussing the Superbowl, though it is on TV and is ultimately a TV show (and driven by TV), it's more about sports and the event itself as a topic of discussion.

That is not a very strong argument. Like I said, it's a gray area and a judgement call.

If I see a thread centered on a sitcom, it's pretty clear to me it should be in the TV forum. As you mentioned, the Fear Factor I think was in reference to the use of playboy playmates in it? I didn't click on it. That might explain that.

In general, most often the main reason some threads are moved and others are not is because the mods don't check every thread and even when they do, some of them are gray areas. Sometimes (and this may have been the case here, if memory serves me), a thread gets moved because someone bothered to use the Notify a Moderator button.
Old 02-08-02, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Which brings me to the point, that someone who posts more might get more leeway in some threads because less people are prone to saying something

Let's take the Fear Factor one. Same conditions. In my case I don't mind what the rules are if they are enforced the same throughout. But you look silly when you think something will work the same way with you because you saw it happen and it turns out to be different
Old 02-08-02, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RandyC

If I see a thread centered on a sitcom, it's pretty clear to me it should be in the TV forum. As you mentioned, the Fear Factor I think was in reference to the use of playboy playmates in it? I didn't click on it. That might explain that.
BTW I didn't click on it either, I just assume that a Playmates in Fear Factor in Other would focus more in the Playmates than in the show

And that also was my second point... the Will and Grace thread did not center on a sitcom, but on a guest star. (a one-time "event," if you will). Again, all for rules if they are applied equally.
(Well, all for rules either way, but you can always hope...)

Last edited by GatorDeb; 02-08-02 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-08-02, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by GatorDeb
Which brings me to the point, that someone who posts more might get more leeway in some threads because less people are prone to saying something
But that is not really leeway. We can't move threads we don't know are in the wrong forum. It's not like we say "hey, this is a thread started by someone we like, so we won't move it." That would never cross my mind.

And also, I don't think the people that do notify us are playing a popularity game.
Old 02-08-02, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RandyC

And also, I don't think the people that do notify us are playing a popularity game.
And that is because you are not that kind of person, and one of the reasons you are an Other mod I have no problems with

BTW 90% of the time the mod who moves the thread edits it and moves it. Any way we can standardize this? Would that be something that all mods could agree to? Like AdBoy seems to always note when he moves in the Movie Forum.
Old 02-08-02, 05:00 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
there are definitely some threads which are interpretive

like wrestling threads, most stay in the other, some goto tv talk, there a fine line because wrestling is on tv !

you talk about an actor, should it be in the movietalk forum or other forum ?

i think the mods do a kick arse, round your belly, damm skippy, toodles , unreal job and i think if there are any examples of double standards, it's not intentional but just human interpretive error
Old 02-08-02, 07:44 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think people should not take it personally when a thread gets moved.

The Will and Grace thread discussed the plot of the episode, so I think it belongs in TV Talk.

The Super Bowl commercials thread discussed commercials on TV. They were part of a sporting event that happens to be shown on TV, but I still think it belonged in TV Talk.

The Super Bowl threads. Generally stuff like World Series and playoff games threads go in Other. They're shown on TV, but they're sporting events. The Super Bowl would happen even if it wasn't on TV.

The Playmate Fear Factor thread is iffy. Sure, it's a TV show, so it would work in TV Talk. But the focus was on the Playmates, so I dunno. I don't have a feeling either way where this one should go.

The point is, I have my thoughts about where things should go. Each moderator has their own thoughts. I don't think there's some magic formula where you can send a thread in, and it will kick out where it should go.

"Report This Post to a Moderator" seems to work really well when I see something that I think belongs somewhere else. With the Super Bowl commercials thread, there were already threads in TV Talk. By the time I stumbled into one on Other, that had already been mentioned, yet the thread was not closed/moved, so I didn't bother reporting it because I figured the Mods wanted it left there.
Old 02-08-02, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
i asked ahead of time on the superbowl commercials thread, before ever posting it in other..

and the general consensus was that it should stay in other..

if your talking directly about a tv show.. then I would assume it would definitly get moved.. and rightly should be.. not sure why the fear factor thread wouldnt have been moved

as far as the superbowl commercial itself... its just became standard that sports are considered part of other.. sure.. it is shown on tv.. but you could go to the stadium, listen on tv.. or just care about the teams regardless whether you watch it on tv or not.. I dont think sports programming falls in a grey area, i think it is definitly an 'other' topic..

that would be like saying all news stories should be in the tv talk forum.. just because you can see the news on tv..

I think tv talk should be about sitcoms and standard tv shows.. and I would assume that is how the mods view it
Old 02-08-02, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
but what about <B>"the mole"</b>?

does that stay in other? or tv?

-k
###