DVD Talk
My Fujitsu hard drive causes the system to freeze when using scandisk on it [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : My Fujitsu hard drive causes the system to freeze when using scandisk on it

MarcusAurelius
02-07-02, 08:16 PM
It's a 6 GB Fujitsu MPD3064AT Hard Drive. I just gave it a good format and was going to use it as a primary drive and stick the OS on it but when running a "Thorough" scan in ScanDisk (in Win98SE) it freezes once it gets around 60 or 70% done.

I have a sneaky suspicion it has bad sectors...but I thought that's what ScanDisk was supposed to tell me.

any ideas?

i've been having rotten luck with hard drives. Just had 2 10 GB Western Digital hard drives develop bad sectors and sticking an OS on them always ends with bad results.

zuffy
02-07-02, 08:41 PM
Try running scandisk in DOS mode.

4KRG
02-07-02, 09:03 PM
Fujitsu = worst HD company ever! (ok maybe second to Kaylok)

zuffy is right, try it in DOS mode first.

If it were a GOOD HD company I would say go download their "low Level" utility and run it, but

http://www.fcpa.com/cgi-bin/goFrames.cgi/support/su_drivers.html

Fujitsu does not have one, big surprise. However they do list a 1-800 number on their page, call it and ask for the 'low level format' utility. This will reinitialize the drive back to factory defaults (not really a low level format like in the old days, but todays next best thing) If the drive fails this type of format, then it is trash.

MarcusAurelius
02-08-02, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by 4KRG
Fujitsu = worst HD company ever! (ok maybe second to Kaylok)

zuffy is right, try it in DOS mode first.

If it were a GOOD HD company I would say go download their "low Level" utility and run it, but

http://www.fcpa.com/cgi-bin/goFrames.cgi/support/su_drivers.html

Fujitsu does not have one, big surprise. However they do list a 1-800 number on their page, call it and ask for the 'low level format' utility. This will reinitialize the drive back to factory defaults (not really a low level format like in the old days, but todays next best thing) If the drive fails this type of format, then it is trash.

indeed you could be right. it came with a free PowerSpec (junk) computer that I took home from the office. At least I didn't lose any data.