Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

This is all so difficult..

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-02, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok..Circuit City has the Aiwa XSDS70 on sale for 199.99
Its a shelf system that has 5.1 dolby digital..

Anyone know anything about this system? Is it any good?
The room with my DVD player is small..

Here are the specs...

Total power 360
Front Power 120 Watts
Center Power 60 Watts
Surround Power 120 Watts
Subwoofer Power 60 Watts
Dolby Digital
D.I.N.A. (Dynamic Integrated Neo Amplifier) w/ 3-Position T-Bass & BBE Sound Enhancement

Now..my other questions..
It doesnt have Dolby prologic..how important is prologic in a home theater?
Lastly, what the heck is an OHM?

Thanx
Old 02-06-02, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I'd try to stay away from Aiwa, everything I have ever owned that they have made had died within a year and I've heard the same from other people.
Old 02-06-02, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd have to concur with the above.

To answer your other questions, though: IMO, Dolby Pro Logic (unless it's DPL II) isn't that important in HT if you're viewing a DVD source. If you're watching (shudder) VHS, it is.

An Ohm is a measure of resistance to electrical power flow. Most speakers (except high end systems, which are often lower) typically have resistances (Ohm ratings) between 6 and 8 Ohms.

The lower the resistance, the higher the current for a given voltage (V=I*R). Hence matching low resistance speakers with an amplifier that is incapable of high current output will cause the amplifier to over-heat. (current goes up too much for the amp to handle)

Last edited by edclem; 02-06-02 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-06-02, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by edclem
I'd have to concur with the above.

To answer your other questions, though: IMO, Dolby Pro Logic (unless it's DPL II) isn't that important in HT if you're viewing a DVD source. If you're watching (shudder) VHS, it is.

An Ohm is a measure of resistance to electrical power flow. Most speakers (except high end systems, which are often lower) typically have resistances (Ohm ratings) between 6 and 8 Ohms.

The lower the resistance, the higher the current for a given voltage (V=I*R). Hence matching low resistance speakers with an amplifier that is incapable of high current output will cause the amplifier to over-heat. (current goes up too much for the amp to handle)
Thanx for your help guys..
I actually currently have an Aiwa..the Cd player started giving me problems within a year or so of owning it. With patience I could get it to work.
By the 3rd year of owning it, the CD crapped out.
A few months back my tuner blew on it...sparks, smoke and all..it was quite the firework display..

Even though Ive had all the above problems I figured I would give AIWA a second chance. I know atleat 10 people who have Aiwa stereos and swear by aiwa...they have had not one problem and keep buying aiwa products.

The reason I asked about an OHM is because the XSDS70 is 8 OHMS and the guy in the store told me that was "impressive" ..so I was curious as to what it was and if it made it a better stereo..

If you had a speakers that were 75 OHMS could you combine it with speakers that are 8 OHMS??

Thanx again..