Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The "What The Hell Is Tori Talking About?" Thead. . .

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-02, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Now, don't get me wrong, I am a huge Tori Amos fan and have been for years but, aside from Little Earthquakes, the lyrics in her songs most of the time just don't make sense to me. Boys For Pele being the best example. So, let us use this thread to converse, relate and attempt to figure out "What The Hell Tori Is Talking About".

I'll start:

From Mohommad My Friend
"If I lose my cracker jack at the tidle wave, I got a place in the popes rubber robe"

View

P.S. - I realize that there are sights online for Toriphiles to relate what they think the songs are about but I want not only Tori fans opinions on this as, I am sure, it will be the none Tori fans that will be even more confused they I am.
Old 02-06-02, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"If I lose my cracker jacks at the tidal wave, I got a place in the pope's rubber robe"

If I lose my way in life then I can always follow a religious path instead of my own.

cracker jacks = individuality/sense of self

tidal wave = the complexities of life

pope's rubber robe = a place that keeps you safe from the "tidal wave" the complexities of life are much easier to deal with if you hide behind religion

JMO, it's only an interpretation, I'm not trying to insult any religious people
Old 02-08-02, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems like we are the only Tori fans, Carrie.

View
Old 02-08-02, 04:06 AM

I'm a big fan of Tori too, but have never questioned her lyrics too much however and I'm not too good at reading into them. But if you check out some of her interviews, she sometimes talks about what each song means.
Old 02-08-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by greeny
But if you check out some of her interviews, she sometimes talks about what each song means.
Very true. Toriphoria has some great information.
Sometimes I just feel like trying to figure out what she's talking about- that was the first time I ever really focused on what she's talking about in MmF. Usually if I look for a meaning in her songs it's a personal meaning for myself but not the overall meaning of the song.

I think it would be great if this thread could continue, but I can't think of any lyrics that I want to ask about...I would love to have a great tori discussion.
If anyone wants to argue with my interpretation or add their own opinions that would be great- or if someone wants to mention some other lyrics or quotes.
Old 02-11-02, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I lose my cracker jack at the tidle wave, I got a place in the popes rubber robe

Well now.. thats a tricky one.. but yeah, it can be deducted and looked at over and over again and really never find out the real meaning of it. what I take from it is this..

Cracker Jack does show child hood, but it can stand for that treat with a specail surprize in it that you look forward to as a kid.

tidle wave should be a conflict or a change in motion that pretty much sweeps whatever is there away.

so that can be translated to Childhood/special prize being swept away and changed.

Now for the popes rubber robe. Could be the santcuary. and with the sudden change and sweeping motion of the first passage, this is the safety zone.

can't think of any tori lyrics that threw me completely off right now, but I'll post when they arrise
Old 01-17-14, 01:44 AM

Re: The "What The Hell Is Tori Talking About?" Thead. . .

Wow, this a really old thread from the early age of the internet! but I asked myself the same question and this is what floated up Google results. So, an old question. I hope the protagonists are still around to read my two cents

Don't want to shock anyone, but this is what came to (devious) mind when I heard those lyrics:

1) cracker jack = junk food = junk output, also cracker jack = whitish bits
=> cracker jack = sperm

2) tidal wave = an old metaphor for orgasm

3) the Pope's rubber robe = condom (the Catholic church, led by the Pope, advocates condom use and condoms used to be made of rubber and still are nicknamed rubbers)

Hence, "If I lose my sperm at the orgasm, I got a place in the condom." It doesn't make huge sense, but if we allow for even more artistic license and rearrange the subject to take the point of view of a sperm (or male DNA, i.e. male identity): "If I get expelled at the orgasm, I got a place in the condom."

I hope you enjoy this interpretation as much as I did
Old 01-17-14, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Jack and View are still around. hotaru, not so much.
Old 01-17-14, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

2002 wasn't early internet, at all.
Old 01-17-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

LOL.

Wow, Tottoro. Just....wow. We can now shut the intrawebs down now that this enigmatic puzzle is solved.

Welcome to the boards!
Old 01-17-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

But, the Catholic Church does NOT advocate condom use.
Old 01-21-14, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Tottoro
Wow, this a really old thread from the early age of the internet! but I asked myself the same question and this is what floated up Google results. So, an old question. I hope the protagonists are still around to read my two cents

Don't want to shock anyone, but this is what came to (devious) mind when I heard those lyrics:

1) cracker jack = junk food = junk output, also cracker jack = whitish bits
=> cracker jack = sperm

2) tidal wave = an old metaphor for orgasm

3) the Pope's rubber robe = condom (the Catholic church, led by the Pope, advocates condom use and condoms used to be made of rubber and still are nicknamed rubbers)

Hence, "If I lose my sperm at the orgasm, I got a place in the condom." It doesn't make huge sense, but if we allow for even more artistic license and rearrange the subject to take the point of view of a sperm (or male DNA, i.e. male identity): "If I get expelled at the orgasm, I got a place in the condom."

I hope you enjoy this interpretation as much as I did

are you and duff beer (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...sian-milf.html) sharing the same crackpipe?
Old 01-21-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Haven't heard the song, but just going by a hunch my answer to the thread title would be: Her vagina
Old 01-23-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Early age! Man, ya'lls makin' me feel old.
Old 01-23-14, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

2002? "Early age of the Internet"?

Wait now I feel old
Old 02-11-14, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
2002? "Early age of the Internet"?

Wait now I feel old
Certainly would have been for me, other than a couple e-mails I got on a computer at work, didn't know anything about this internet stuff till around 2002. Like, I remember having to wait for the newspaper to come out the next day in order to see all the 9-11 images (also had no TV in my apartment at the time).
Old 02-11-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been online, in some capacity, since 1982... back in the 2400 baud BBS days. Been on the Internet since 1988... Imma jump out the window now
Old 02-11-14, 08:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I've been online, in some capacity, since 1982... back in the 2400 baud BBS days. Been on the Internet since 1988... Imma jump out the window now
Back then, if you wanted the new Ratt album, you started downloading in 1988, and the download finished in 1990!
Old 02-14-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Back then, if you wanted the new Ratt album, you started downloading in 1988, and the download finished in 1990!
And boy oh boy was it worth it!!! Somehow!!!!