Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Backlight for Home Theatre

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 02-05-02, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read somewhere backlighting or "bias" lighting really takes the strain off your eyes when watching movies in a dimly lit room.

Is this true?

And where are the best places to get them?
Old 02-05-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yep it's called a Bias light. It makes it more comfortable watching a movie becuase it's easier for your eyes to adjust to the light and dark scenes in a movie.

You can make one yourself using a fluorescent bulb, but the trick is finding a 6500K bulb.

You can buy one here http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm
Old 02-06-02, 01:36 AM

Thanks for the link. Mines on its way.

In my best Dana Carvey(Johnny Carson)

"I did not know that"
Old 02-06-02, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$45.00 seems a bit high!

Your local hardware store probably sells the 18" long lights and 18" "Natural Light" 6500K bulbs for about $20 for the pair.

I already had an 18" black light and all I had to do was replace the bulb with the 6500K one for $5.
Old 02-06-02, 03:23 PM

Note that a bias light doesn't work for a RP, but works best for direct view.

Funny thing about that, my mother always used to tell me that watching tv in the dark was bad for my eyes.
Old 02-06-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And you would just nail this into the wall behind your TV? How high off the ground should it be?
Old 02-08-02, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a 1.99 string of lights last xmas, blue, and have been using them as a backlight. (I ran it all around the back of my entertainment center).

The result is rather cool, it's like the thing is glowing blue. It's just enough light to keep your iris from closing all the way down... and the blue keeps it from being too strong if you happen to look at it directly.

High temperature lighting is better, I'm sure, but this is cheap and wicked to look at.

-Beebs
Old 02-08-02, 11:25 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by beebs
It's just enough light to keep your iris from closing all the way down...
My girlfriend Iris never closes all the way. That would really hurt...
Old 02-08-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by criptik28
And you would just nail this into the wall behind your TV? How high off the ground should it be?
I just placed mine on the ground behind the tv facing up.

All you really want to is light the wall and area behind the tv to reduce stress on your eyes when the tv shifts from light to dark scenes
Old 02-08-02, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by jumbojp

All you really want to is light the wall and area behind the tv to reduce stress on your eyes when the tv shifts from light to dark scenes
Great tip, thanks.
Old 02-09-02, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jumbojp

And you keep the light on 24/7, or only when you watch TV, or only when you watch DVDs?
Old 02-10-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by criptik28

And you keep the light on 24/7, or only when you watch TV, or only when you watch DVDs?
Only when I watch a movie.

Unfortunately since it is a flourescent I can't just hook it to the switched outlet on my Panamax.

It will turn off, but won't come back on, so I have to reach behind the TV everytime I need to turn it on. Luckily it isn't that hard to do in my setup!

I really never got into it that much. Alot of times I don't even use it at all. I usually only watch one movie at a time so my eyes never really become that tired
Old 02-11-02, 12:49 AM

actually most newer fluorescent fixtures will come on via a "switched" outlet. sure makes it convenient.
Old 02-11-02, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by anubis57
actually most newer fluorescent fixtures will come on via a "switched" outlet. sure makes it convenient.
Well that is good to know and yes it would be convenient!

The one I use is an older blacklight(with a 500K bulb of course) with a rocker switch on it, maybe I should go buy a new one.

I do like using the backlight since it keeps me from smacking my toes and tripping over things when I get up to get a beer
Old 07-27-02, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How useful is backlighting?

When I move into my new apartment I think I might attempt to backlight my tv. However, I was wondering how much of a visual benefit this truly gives? Anybody who has tried it both ways know how much strain backlighting saves on your eyes? Does it distract from the dvd?
Old 07-27-02, 02:35 AM
Uber Member

Re: How useful is backlighting?

Originally posted by Alyoshka
When I move into my new apartment I think I might attempt to backlight my tv. However, I was wondering how much of a visual benefit this truly gives? Anybody who has tried it both ways know how much strain backlighting saves on your eyes? Does it distract from the dvd?
FYI, I merged your question with an older thread that was already discussing your question.

Never heard of this myself, so thanks for asking it again.

Scott,

Not sure if you're still around, but I was wondering why this doesn't work for rear projection sets?
Old 07-27-02, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not Scott, but it works just fine for RPTVs, and is encouraged.
Old 07-27-02, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't like fluorescents. I just use a $5 "tube" fixture with a 40 watt bulb located behind the TV. Works great.
Old 07-29-02, 01:42 AM

I have to agree with DVD-O-Rama. It works great on my RPTV. I have it velcroed to the back of the RPTV and lucky enough to be able to plug it into the outlet that is controled with the light switch.It helps out your eyes alot but only at night . For the people that bought just the 6500K bulb at Home Depot .What bulb was it I have had no luck there and the salesperson have no clue what I'm talking about.

Thanks
Old 07-29-02, 01:54 AM

Here's an option for people who want it to turn on automatically with your TV:

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/deta...id=00924031000
Old 07-29-02, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It being a flourescent light, any problems with buzzing, interference, or any other problems commonly associated with flourescent lighting?
Old 07-29-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by TeeSeeJay
It being a flourescent light, any problems with buzzing, interference, or any other problems commonly associated with flourescent lighting?
None for me. But I also have everything plugged in to a nice surge protector with built in noise reduction... I would advise everyone to do the same (but don't piss your money away on the Monster brand name).

Finding a 6500K bulb at your local hardware store is not that easy... The best that I could do was a 5000K, so, that's what I'm using at the moment... And, yes, it reduces eye strain on RPTVs, dunno where the idea came from that it does not... This has been covered in pretty good depth in the "other" forums, you know the ones, and it is indeed a very good idea... Also adds to the whole experience, IMHO, and provides a nice low ambient lighting for your room with no worries of screen glare. I have mine (18" variety) mounted on the wall behind my set.

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 07-29-02 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-29-02, 02:45 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use a standard blacklight that you can get from Home Depot, Sears, Walmart, Target...just about anywhere....that was the advice I rec'd when I got my RPTV a while back.
Old 07-29-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Very interesting!

Can anybody post a pic the backlight with their HT setup?
I'm curious at what angle the light should be facing.
Old 03-10-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
My wife ordered one of the Ideal Lumes for me for my birthday, and I must admit that after using this for watching DVD's I was really impressed. The fixture mounts to the wall behind my TV(36" tube) and after adjusting my settings The blacks did seem blacker and there was no glare at all. The dimming kit really helped eliminate the glare (unfortunately my walls are white).Definately worth it in my eyes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.