Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need your opinion on which 20 inch to get

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got some $$$ saved up and i want to buy a high quality 20 inch tv for my room. I was leaning towards the 20" FD Trinitron® WEGA™ TV which is $379. But i realized it dosnt have a 16:9 mode. So I saw on bestbuy.com that Samsung has a 20 inch with 16:9 mode . for $299.

Which would you go with? To me the price dosnt matter as long as it dosnt go above $400.
Old 02-06-02, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bump
Old 02-06-02, 06:46 AM

I actually have/have had both of these. Unfortunately both had problems but that's not to say you would experience them also.

When I purchased the Samsung, I didn't know that it had a 16:9 mode, and then poof, there it was in the on screen setup. I did feel that this tv had too loud of a buzzing/humming sound coming from the speakers. I also had a problem with screen flicker every time I used the video inputs, whether DVD or VCR. No, it wasn't the macrovision thing. I paid less than $299 for mine, so I'm guessing it was a different model. Also, mine only had composite video input.

I currently have the Sony Wega and it has developed a problem with the video. Certain scenes on tv or dvd, particularly bright ones, cause a high pitched sound to come from somewhere in the television. It's been doing it for a couple of months now but hasn't gotten any worse. This tv can do the 16:9 mode thing if you are willing to access the service menu. There is one setting that has to be changed and poof, you have 16:9 mode. If you plan on watching regular tv also, it can be a little bit of a pain switching back and forth since you have to turn the tv off and on to get into service mode and then off and on to get back to regular mode again.
Old 02-06-02, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How is the picture on both sets?
Old 02-06-02, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a panasonic 20"...i love it. It is around the same price range, possibly $20-$30 less. As much as i love the tv, i have my eye on an HDTV...hopefully within a couple of months

-pedagogue
Old 02-06-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well i have a Sony 43 inch RPTV in my home theater . This is for my room. Dont need anything bigger then 20 inch
Old 02-06-02, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know some of you guys and gals will not believe me on this one but go to K-mart and take a look at the APEX 20" set. I picked it up so I could put it next to my computer so I can watch tv at the same time. I paid only $199.99 for it and I put it next to the 20" Sony I had. Guess what? The Sony went back. The APEX has 2 sets of video inputs and 1 is a S-video input. I know K-mart is in BK but this little set is great for the money. I have had mine for about 3 months with no problem. I have read on other fourms that it has the Sony Tube and is made by Samsung. I have no real info on that but like I said this set is great for the money. One other thing I didnt tell you is it is a FLAT SCREEN!!!!!!

APEX TV

Last edited by TheKobra; 02-06-02 at 09:02 PM.