Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

is state of emergency for ps2 coming out on thursday (2/7)???

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-02, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it says this on the circuit city ad and it's for 39.99? also do you know if best buy price matches? thanks
Old 02-03-02, 11:25 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Sounds like Circuit City screwed up the ad. Bestbuy.com, Ebgames.com, Gamestop.com, and Amazon.com all say Feb. 18th.

Forgot to mention the Circuitcity.com site lists SOE being released on 01/31/02. They are totally clueless.

Last edited by Flay; 02-03-02 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-03-02, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

d-e-l-a-y-e-d 2/18
Old 02-04-02, 12:31 AM

i wonder if you can keep the circuit city ad and get a price match when it comes out, if it's a higher price.
no one answered me if best buy price matches. does anyone know
Old 02-04-02, 01:27 AM

Best Buy won't price match an old ad. I ran into this same issue with Obi Wan that Circuit City advertised a week early for. The worst part was, not even Circuit City would honor their old ad. I talked to a Circuit City manager who told me if I found him on release week, he would honor it. I returned when they got Obi Wan and the manager wasn't there so they wouldn't honor the price. I won't buy games again from them after that.
Old 02-04-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
d-e-l-a-y-e-d 2/18
Saw that on <url>http://www.rockstargames.com</url> after you posted. This is good for me because I really didn't have the dough right now. I think I'm going to go to CC on Thursday and see if I can get a raincheck despite the earlier post. Maybe the raincheck scenario is store situational. It is doubtful that CC will make the same mistake twice in terms of re-printing the circular at the $39.99 price, although this could be a legitimate price if they are using it as a loss leader. I hope the delays indicate they are continuing to improve the game, or are working out any bugs before release. Or it could just mean they want to make it a President's Day event!
Old 02-07-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got back from CC. As expected, they didn't have any. I asked if I could get a raincheck for the price and was denied. I think it was because it was a manufacturer's delay and not an "out of stock" issue with CC. I asked him if he thought it would be that price on the 18th, and he really had no idea. However, it didn't seem like a price mistake, so that could potentially be good news!

Last edited by boc4ever; 02-07-02 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-07-02, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EBworld just e-mailed me and said it had been moved back to Feb. 14.
Old 02-08-02, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
actually I was told by circuit city on two different occasions that they do not issue rainchecks at all even when they run out of an ad item

they just suck. I wish best buy would just put them out of business.
Old 02-08-02, 10:53 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by gcribbs
they just suck. I wish best buy would just put them out of business.
Hee hee. There have been some times when CC has scooped BB on some things... I'll always be thankful for the open box price I got for my TiVo at CC, as well as being able to pick of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault for $35. I may start shopping at CC more for open box items, although the last sales guy I talked to about Sony XBR TVs was a complete idiot... but sadly, idiocy seems to be industry standard for big consumer electronics stores like CC & BB. Maybe if I went to a specialized home theater store, there would be more knowledgeable employees.

[/hijack]

Fire bad!
Old 02-08-02, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
sadly, idiocy seems to be industry standard for big consumer electronics stores like CC & BB. Maybe if I went to a specialized home theater store, there would be more knowledgeable employees.
You'd pay a heck of a lot more for the service, though. The people at the stores aren't stupid, they just don't care. Just because you might be a big video game geek, or home theater dork doesn't mean everyone is.

How is the guy who stocks the shelves stupid for not knowing the release dates for every single game? He's probably a high school student who's paid six bucks an hour to take the boxes, open them up, and put the games on the shelf in alphabetical order.

I bet for every story about a stupid Best Buy or Circuit City employee that gets posted on this forum, there's a Best Buy employee telling somebody about you guys, the stupid, obnoxious customers.

Let's imagine what he might say:

"So, this guy came into the store today, with a stack of DVDs that he said were gifts that he wanted to return, but he didn't have a reciept [This is your latest enrollment package from Columbia House]. Anyway, Sandy in customer service told him he couldn't return items without a receipt, but this jerk just got all whiney, and the line was backing up behind him, so she called a manager, and he gave the dude a store credit to shut him up.

So this dude walks back to the DVD section, smirking, because he thinks he fooled us or something, and he starts asking where 'State of Emergency' is. So I tell him all the Playstation games are in the rack in alphabetical order, and he's like 'well it's not there.'

So I tell him we don't have it, and he starts demanding a raincheck. So I tell him we don't do that, and he gets all mad, and says he's going to go to EB or something, which is fine with me. Like I get commission or something on stupid Playstation games."

I mean, seriously. I worked retail in high school, and I've dealt with angry condescending jerks. I worked in a clothing store, and I had to deal with all the fat guys who would yell at me because the store didn't carry their size. And I laughed at all of them when they left the store, just like the guys at Best Buy probably laugh at you. Maybe if you were nice to them, they'd be more helpful.
Old 02-09-02, 01:29 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ScandalUMD
You'd pay a heck of a lot more for the service, though. The people at the stores aren't stupid, they just don't care. Just because you might be a big video game geek, or home theater dork doesn't mean everyone is.
I'd much rather pay more to actually GET service, and to deal with employees that are actually knowledgeable about what they're selling, so that I walk out of there with a product that will fit my needs.
How is the guy who stocks the shelves stupid for not knowing the release dates for every single game? He's probably a high school student who's paid six bucks an hour to take the boxes, open them up, and put the games on the shelf in alphabetical order.
If you're responding to my post, I have no idea what you're talking about. I wasn't talking about $50 games, I'm talking about TVs that cost $2000+ and the people that try and sell them.

Example. I ask a salesman what the difference is between TVs and monitors. He points to a non-flatscreen TV and says "That's a TV," and then he points to a flatscreen TV and says, "That's a monitor-style TV, because it's flat like a computer monitor." While I didn't know the right answer then (I do now), I knew that was pretty wrong. Even so, I was still cordial to the guy, despite the fact that he either didn't know what he was talking about, or he was purposefully trying to snow me. I would've been totally fine with him saying "I don't know"... I would've just found another salesman.
I bet for every story about a stupid Best Buy or Circuit City employee that gets posted on this forum, there's a Best Buy employee telling somebody about you guys, the stupid, obnoxious customers. . . . I worked retail in high school, and I've dealt with angry condescending jerks. I worked in a clothing store, and I had to deal with all the fat guys who would yell at me because the store didn't carry their size. And I laughed at all of them when they left the store, just like the guys at Best Buy probably laugh at you. Maybe if you were nice to them, they'd be more helpful.
Not to be immodest, but I'm actually one of the most polite people you'd meet. I misspoke about idiocy being industry standard... I know there are good salesmen out there. I apologize. But that guy wasn't one of them. Hopefully we can agree that there are good and bad salesmen out there, just like there are good and bad customers.

I don't care how old the salesmen are... salesmen should know something about their product. If they're in high school and they have better things to do than worry about customers' needs, good for them. Let them be stockboys. But if they're going to be in a position to sell equipment that is worth thousands of dollars, they should know what they're talking about. Also, even though I'm polite, and I've never been angry or condescending to a salesman, I really don't care what salesmen think of me, because I'm there to buy a product, not make friends.

Fire bad!
Old 02-09-02, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
Not to be immodest, but I'm actually one of the most polite people you'd meet. I misspoke about idiocy being industry standard... I know there are good salesmen out there. I apologize. But that guy wasn't one of them. Hopefully we can agree that there are good and bad salesmen out there, just like there are good and bad customers.

I don't care how old the salesmen are... salesmen should know something about their product. If they're in high school and they have better things to do than worry about customers' needs, good for them. Let them be stockboys. But if they're going to be in a position to sell equipment that is worth thousands of dollars, they should know what they're talking about. Also, even though I'm polite, and I've never been angry or condescending to a salesman, I really don't care what salesmen think of me, because I'm there to buy a product, not make friends.
I was responding generally to all the sneering about store employees on this forum, rather than specifically targeting that at you. It was just the "idiocy is industry standard" thing that set me off.

As far as the equipment goes, I generally think it's better to figure out what you want than to let a salesguy tell you what you need. Especially when you're talking about an expensive item where the salesguy gets a commission for talking you into spending as much money as possible. When I was shopping for a used car this summer, I heard some of the most ridiculous $hit imaginable.

Anywhere you go, guys who sell expensive stuff, cars, TVs, real estate, whatever, are going to be hustlers. Your best bet is to be an informed consumer, and walk in there knowing exactly what your needs are, exactly what you're looking for, and what a good price to pay for it is. Because even if the salesguy knows his stuff, he's still going to lie to you, especially if it's clear that you have money to spend and don't know what you're buying.
Old 02-09-02, 01:54 AM
Mod Emeritus

My only problem with places like BB, besides the misinformation (BS) they pass off as the truth, is the warranty they constantly try and shove down your throat. Blah...
Old 02-10-02, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had to give this another bump because I'm seeing conflicting information about the release date. My CC circular said it is coming out Thursday 2/14. Rockstar games' site is saying Saturday 2/16. I doubt anything would be released on a Saturday, so is it Thursday then?
Old 02-11-02, 12:23 AM

In today's Circuit City ad, it has State of Emergency for $39.99. Earlier someone said that they wouldn't accept the price because the game was printed in last weeks ad. Well, it's in this weeks ad, too. And so BB will price-match it this week (where I'll be going)
Old 02-11-02, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by boc4ever
I had to give this another bump because I'm seeing conflicting information about the release date. My CC circular said it is coming out Thursday 2/14. Rockstar games' site is saying Saturday 2/16. I doubt anything would be released on a Saturday, so is it Thursday then?
Not sure but it is in the BestBuy sunday ad right between FFX and Halo(xbox)