DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : My ISP doesn't offer usenet access

RoQuEr
02-03-02, 09:52 PM
I'm kinda bummed about this. are there any other ways I can access my newsgroups short of changing ISP's?

palebluedot
02-03-02, 10:47 PM
Use a pay service like www.newsfeeds.com.

Copenhagen
02-03-02, 10:49 PM
Why not use google for your newsgroups.

UWSarge
02-04-02, 12:23 AM
I've used www.newscenes.com for about 3 years....

leemik
02-04-02, 05:16 PM
I believe the real URL is : www.newscene.com (no plural)

....and holy crap, that's expensive! Unless you are looking for binary downloads, I'd go with google.. I guess I've been spoiled with my ISP..

--mike

TeeSeeJay
02-04-02, 05:36 PM
A lot of ISPs do not have authentication on their newsgroups -- if you have the name of the news server for another ISP, give it a try. Try visiting other ISP homepages and looking for their setup directions to find a news server name or IP, and see if you can use it without a password.

RoQuEr
02-04-02, 11:00 PM
Obviously I can use google for everything but binaries. Newsfeeds.com looks good, but their premium membership costs $15 a month for a combined daily download of 500 MB. Do you know what the normal bandwidth for a newsgroup is. I am worried about marking too many files to download at one time, and then the server deleting the rest before I can download them.

Also, how easy is it to configure simultaneous connections? with 5 x 250 MB I am sure I would never reach my bandwith limit.

TeeSeeJay I have apprehensions about the morality of what you suggest, but isn't that like using another ISP's mail server? I tried news.ufl.edu, but it gave an error every time i tried. If I do SMTP.ufl.edu for email, it will bounce all emails except for ones to @ufl.edu addresses.

TeeSeeJay
02-04-02, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by RoQuEr

TeeSeeJay I have apprehensions about the morality of what you suggest, but isn't that like using another ISP's mail server? I tried news.ufl.edu, but it gave an error every time i tried. If I do SMTP.ufl.edu for email, it will bounce all emails except for ones to @ufl.edu addresses. [/B]

I can't really get into the morality of this. SMTP servers are like that for a good reason -- SPAM relies on open relay mail servers. In the case of mail servers, they're pretty useless if you don't have a POP3 account.

Newsgroups, however, are a different matter. But before this turns into a morality discussion, I'm going to just suggest that you do not use another ISP's news server. However, I see nothing wrong with an individual accessing usenet in this manner.

RoQuEr
02-04-02, 11:21 PM
BTW, I've found:

alt.free.newsservers
http://freenews.maxbaud.net/
also a program called server hound at www.darrenadlington.co.uk

haven't tried anything yet.