Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Which version of Robocop is best?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-02, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just watched Robocop for the first time the other night - I rented the Criterion version.

Is this cut of the film better than the theatrical cut? I'm asking because I would like to buy just one version of the film. The current MGM theatrical release is the best video quality out there and I can pick it up cheap; however, I have reason to believe late this Spring MGM will be releasing the same Criterion, longer version. Maybe I'm better off waiting for it? Are the extra scenes of the longer cut just gore?
Old 01-31-02, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gore. You get to see more of the scene where they shoot Murphy's hand off. The ED-209 demonstration scene has more blood. Stuff like that. You aren't sacrificing too much by getting the MGM release.
Old 02-01-02, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you've just watched it and can probably wait a bit... I'd wait to see what MGM releases for the SE DVD. I don't think it has an official release date yet, but I'd expect it sometime in early 2002.

Supposedly, it will be the longer "director's cut" of the film (that's on the Criterion) along with a documentary and some other goodies.

For most casual fans, that new MGM SE will probably be the best bet. But, most of the Criterion supplements will not make it to the new MGM DVD, so there are lots of people (like me) who will get both. I've done this with other MGM/Criterion titles in the past (Spinal Tap, Silence of the Lambs)
Old 02-01-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I raised this question a couple months ago and decided to stick with my MGM version. I like the film a lot but don't LOVE it enough to sacrifice 5.1 sound for some extras and a lil' more gore (plus MGM version was 1/2 the price). I'll save that money to pick up a Criterion version of a movie that's unavailable elsewhere. But that's just me.
Old 02-01-02, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by uteotw
I like the film a lot but don't LOVE it enough to sacrifice 5.1 sound for some extras and a lil' more gore (plus MGM version was 1/2 the price). I'll
Robocop CC doesn't have DD 5.1?!?
Old 02-02-02, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Shafted!

Robocop CC doesn't have DD 5.1?!?
Nope, Dolby Surround only.
Old 02-02-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
Since you've just watched it and can probably wait a bit... I'd wait to see what MGM releases for the SE DVD. I don't think it has an official release date yet, but I'd expect it sometime in early 2002.
Ditto.
Old 02-02-02, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

CC, just because I have it.
Old 02-03-02, 12:27 PM

I picked up the MGM versionfrom Circuit City for only $9.99. It doesnt have much special features but its still a bargain.
Old 02-03-02, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Which version of Robocop is best?

Originally posted by DavidH
I just watched Robocop for the first time the other night - I rented the Criterion version.

Is this cut of the film better than the theatrical cut? I'm asking because I would like to buy just one version of the film. The current MGM theatrical release is the best video quality out there and I can pick it up cheap; however, I have reason to believe late this Spring MGM will be releasing the same Criterion, longer version. Maybe I'm better off waiting for it? Are the extra scenes of the longer cut just gore?
This Review is from last fall

RoboCop DVD reg 1 Pros & Cons of MGM's transfer vs. Criterion's.

The Pros

I watched the new MGM RoboCop DVD Saturday night and the clarity of the new anamorphic transfer is very good. I was blown away by scene after scene, the bathroom confrontation scene btw Dick Jones & Bob Morton is crystal clear, explosions like at the gas station are beautiful, the scene where you can see Bob Morton and the two hookers snort coke off his shiny coffee table is like looking at them in a mirror. All this is nicely contrasted by the grainy Media breaks, like your actually watching them on TV, and the POV shots of Murphy, yes notice I said Murphy, looking at the world through his grid-vision.

The 5.1 audio also makes good use of all the speakers. Basil Poledouris' score is nicely balanced, bullets ricochet around speakers, and the scene were Boddicker's hubcap comes flying off his 6000 SUX can be heard clanging around the front & rear speakers.

The Cons

Although the transfer is gorgeous, IMHO the 1.78:1 ratio crops off too much information from the top and the bottom of the frame and makes the compositions too tight and makes some scenes too claustrophobic.

Examples: The first scene is a media-break and the top head of male news caster, Mario Machado is severely cropped as is the top of Leeza Gibbons poofy hair-do, in the bottom of the frame you see part of Machado's hands. On the other hand, on Criterion's more generous 1.66:1 matted version you see all of Machado's head, all of Leeza's hair-do and Machado's hands.

In MGM's bathroom confrontation scene btw Jones & Morton, Jones head is cropped much more severely than Criterion's version, and you can see the complete round mirror on the Criterion version, while the bottom part is missing in MGM's transfer.

In the Dallas skyline scene where Murphy is driving his 6000 SUX to the corporate quarters to confront Dick Jones, on the MGM transfer the tallest skyscraper is cropped, whereas the Criterion version shows plenty of sky over the top of the tallest skyscraper.

And there are plenty of other scenes in the MGM transfer that crop off heads that are completely visible in the Criterion version.

It's still a beautiful transfer, but I wish MGM would have down a 1.66:1 anamorphic transfer instead of a 1.77 anamorphic transfer. MGM's policy of not doing 1.66:1 anamorphic transfers, unlike Criterion or Anchor Bay, is ludicrous.

A very good presentation, with a gorgeous looking transfer, could have been perfect with a more generous ratio aspect.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 02-04-02, 07:56 AM
JFM

Here''s another take on this .......

I picked up the R2 box set of all 3 movies last week ( early release - who's complaining?).

Very nice packaging, a chunky fold out box with flaps to hold all 3 movies, and decent booklet and some nice artwork and still s from all trhe movies .

Firstly, I won't go into the merits of 2 and 3 here.

BUT, the sound on Robocop is not great - yes, it's 5.1, but it severley lacks bass. The appearance of ED209 in the demo scene should be terryfying, but I had to turn the bass up full on my system to get any effect. ( I only have a 2.0 Hi Fi set up though). It does seem to have more in the way spatial effects though, but it's very trebly.

Secondly, it's 1:66 enhanced, for WS TV's ( does not say if it's anomorphic), and I have to say it shows less picture than the Criterion edition. This can easily be demonstrated by comparing the two versions on the opening TV mosaic scene. The Criterion version gets nearly all of the mosaic in, the R2 version does not - seems to be losing about an inch all round. I also noticed a slight pause on the directors cut version just before Kenny gets shot y the ED209 - no doubt this is something to do with the branching. However, I did not notice any more of these pauses throughout the film, save for the obligatory layer change. Apart from this, the picture does seem generally sharper than the Criterion, and colours are richer.

The directors cut is the same version as the Criterion - the other extras are very good - interesting and honest new doc detailing the probs and disagreements on the shoot ( Rob Bottin basically walked off set due to all the various changes in the costume ), two original featurettes, which naturally have some crossover and repetition, but as Weller and few of the other actors are involved in the main doc, these are welcome.

Deleted scenes are mostly outtakes from the TV interviews; a longer version of the OCP conference, a topless pizza ad with the 'I'd but that for a dollar' guy, and a brief news report at the end showing Lewis in hospital after her ordeal. There is also an interesting section of b roll footage and outtakes showing the filming of most of the gorier scenes that were put back into the directors cut - these are very entertaining, though are a little rough in places and sound is not always present.

There is a storyboard comparison narrated by Phil Tippet, and a stills gallery. As far as I could see, these are the only items that appear to be the same as the Criterion edition in terms of extra's. 2 and 3 just have trailers, but sound and picture wise are perfectly decent. ( In fact 2 probably has the edge on 1 in that regard).

Worth buying then, primarily for those in UK who have not seen the directors cut, and for the extras for everyone else. I will leave you to make your own minds up about the merits of 2 and 3 - that's a whole different kettle of fish.........
Old 02-05-02, 05:39 AM
JFM

Whoops, forget what I said about the bass prob, had the bass turned way down on my amp.

One thing I did notice, though, is that the commentary track appears to be different to the Criterion. I compared it at he chapter stops on each version, though did not listen all the way through. Ed Neumier in particular is very vocal and enthusiastic.

Watched the whole first movie through last night, and noticed 3 points at which it pauses -

2 of which are just before Kenny gets decimated by ED209, when Murphy removes his helmet for the first time - cannot remember the third.

Don't know why they did not just put the directors cut version on there and be done with it.
Old 02-05-02, 10:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I've got the CC version currently and love. With the exception of the Dolby Surround track and the non-anamorphic transfer, that is. I'll be getting the MGM SE whenever it comes out though.
Old 02-08-02, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by dknight04
I picked up the MGM versionfrom Circuit City for only $9.99. It doesnt have much special features but its still a bargain.
Just watched this version last night and LOVE the 5.1 sound! Very nice. That said, a special edition with extras AND decent sound would make me even happier. (I love seeing "Robert" from E.R. as a very evil bad guy.) For $10-$15, this is indeed a good buy.
Old 02-11-02, 05:37 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The MGM is definitely worth the price over the Criterion at its price.
Old 02-12-02, 08:18 PM
RVN

I have the Image Entertainment version w/DD 2.0 and the sound was just okay, the bass wasn't too skinny but it was what I expected from a 1987 movie and the picture was not anamorphically enhanced.

I like this movie enough to get the MGM DD5.1 and 16:9 version also; and I'm also tempted to get the CC. Hell I don't know.

"Dead or alive, you're coming with me!"

RVN
Old 02-13-02, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My favorite version is the version the air on TV. I wish they would sale that version on DVD. My son thinks Robo Cop is cool, I can't let him watch the DVD of the movie.
Old 02-18-02, 07:41 PM

I have the MGM version. criterion is not worth it to me...not enough extras, and quality is not as good. again, size is not as good on MGM though as everyone else said.