Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Red Faction 2 coming winter 2002

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-02, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Faction 2 coming winter 2002

Here is the official press release from THQ:

THQ and Volition announce 'Red Faction 2' scheduled to ship Winter 2002

CALABASAS HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 25, 2002--THQ Inc. today announced "Red Faction 2" for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system. Developed by THQ's studio, Volition, "Red Faction 2" is the sequel to one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed original game franchises of 2001.

More than 1 million units of "Red Faction" on PlayStation 2 and PC have been sold worldwide according to THQ. Featuring an enhanced Geo-Mod engine that allows players to strategically alter and destroy the game environment in real-time, "Red Faction 2" expands and builds upon the experience and technology of the original game. Complete with blistering action, an engaging storyline, highly detailed graphics and a number of multi-player options, "Red Faction 2" is scheduled for PlayStation 2 release in winter 2002.

"The overwhelming success of `Red Faction' last summer firmly placed THQ and Volition among the top original content creators on PlayStation 2," stated Brian Farrell, president and CEO, THQ. "We are delighted to be building on this franchise for holiday 2002, a time when the PlayStation 2 hardware will be reaching a critical installed base."

"`Red Faction 2' will take the action genre to new heights, thanks to innovations in both game design and technology," said Mike Kulas, president, Volition. "The enhancements we've made to the Geo-Mod engine will allow players to completely interact with a game world, where destroying and altering the environment become an integral part of gameplay."

About "Red Faction 2"

"Red Faction 2" is the sequel to one of the biggest original franchise releases of 2001. Powered by enhancements to Volition's revolutionary Geo-Mod engine that allows players to alter and destroy the game environment in real-time, "Red Faction 2" introduces a host of new features and improvements constructed around a gripping storyline. Players will be tasked with completing multiple mission objectives with an arsenal of weapons and items at their disposal.

"Red Faction 2" will also allow players to commandeer different vehicles and fight alongside elite squad members each with their own attack attributes. Refined graphics, an auto-save function, enhanced enemy AI and dynamic environments will also be featured in "Red Faction 2." New additions to the game's multi-player action include four-player split screen, customizable computer opponents, and new game modes.
Old 01-29-02, 07:22 PM
Cool New Member

The first one was just average. Geo Mod was over hyped. Don't buy into the marketing.
Old 01-30-02, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Perhaps they will do it right this time. The Geo Mod was cool, but you should have some compelling game and story around it. I don't know how good RF2 will be if it's coming out in less than a year, but perhaps it'll surprise everyone. I've got my sights on Duke Nukem Forever...
Old 01-30-02, 01:15 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I'm psyched. I thought the original kicked ass. Loved blasting through cave walls and being able to drive different vechiles. Can't wait for the sequel!