Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What are you reading? Part 2

Blade
01-28-02, 03:43 PM
Part 1: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117437

I kind of liked this old thread as it was a way to get short mini-reviews as well as to get some ideas on what to read next. Not sure if anyone else is interested in something like this (as the last one kind of petered out) but I thought we'd give it another try. :)

I just finished Baker's Fermata and Black Hawk Down.

Fermata actually seemed to have more sex (as opposed to just talking about sex) than Vox (then again, I haven't read Vox in a long time) and was a bit more vulgar than Vox as well, but still a very nice, similar ending. I really like the way this guy writes. It's a bit more self-indulgent in this book than it was in Vox, but I wouldn't mind reading some of his other works.

Black Hawk Down. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I know there's a lot of stuff they just wouldn't be able to put into the movie. While I had read some about our involvement in the area, the book itself really does a good job of providing some background on how the Somalis viewed what we were trying to do. And it is an excellent account of the action on the ground. Not only was he able to get numerous interviews with the Rangers (and some ex-Delta members) and some of the Somalis as well, but he also was given access to the radio coversations and video taken during the incident. Amazing stuff and a page turner as well.

I have now picked up Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice (after being inspired to do so by the excellent BBC miniseries), though I am currently bogged down in an introduction that started off by discussing how P&P addressed the need to be both more free and more guarded in the time of Revolutionary France, and has now moved on to the eroticism of eyes and chairs in the story. :)

-David

littlefuzzy
01-28-02, 03:50 PM
I have been reading 'The Gun Control Debate: You Decide' for the past week... it normally takes me 2-3 hours to read a fiction book (Piers Anthony, Anne McCaffrey, etc.) so you can see this book is very weighty.

This book presents various studies on guns and violence, and presents them for the reader to draw their own conclusions. Often, there are studies directly refuting a previous one, on the basis of flawed research, especially if the previous researcher started with his own opinion, and crafted the study to match that opinion.

Sessa17
01-28-02, 04:06 PM
I just started reading Martin's A Game of Thrones. I realize it is extremely popular in this forum & I don't want to start a debate here, but I'm now about 120 pages into it, & the book is doing absolutely nothing for me. If anyone reads this post that has read this series, head on over to the Martin thread below & maybe you can answer some of my questions/compaints.

If this book doesn't get better soon I'm going to stop reading it & move on to another book I just bought:

Round Ireland With a Fridge by Tony Hawks(not the skateboarder). this looks like it will be a great funny read, a true story, about a comedian who made a bet with his friends one night while at a bar, that he could hitchhike all the way around Ireland with a refrigerator.

ziggy
01-28-02, 04:31 PM
just started John Irving's "A Prayer for Owen Meany" I've only read a chapter so far, but I'm not liking it as much as the other books I've read by him before. Just finished the new Clive Barker book - "Coldheart Canyon" - a little disappointing. I've liked all his other novels, but this one didn't seem like anything special to me - though there was plenty of sex - and it was actually mostly straight sex this time, which is a plus for me.

Josh H
01-28-02, 07:23 PM
I'm re-reading 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' for class, and when I finish it I'll probably go on to 'Salvation on Sand Mountain' by Dennis Covington for another class. After that I have 'The Journalist and the Murderer' by Janet Malcolm, and 'As Nature Made Him: The Boy Who Was Raised as a Girl' by John Colapinto, both also for class. After that I'll try to catch up on some stuff I've been wanting to read. I.E. some Star Wars books, some Hunter S. Thompson, some Edgar Allen Poe, and maybe the latest book in R.A. Salvatored Dark Elf series if I can get it at a decent price. I'll likely just wait for the paperback though.

Tommy_Harn
01-28-02, 09:55 PM
Killing Time by Caleb Carr. Just started it.

Tuan Jim
01-28-02, 11:10 PM
re-Reading "the Lazarus Effect" by Frank Herbert and Bill "I'm wrecking the story" Ransom. This is the first time I've read it since HS and the first time I've read it in it's proper context. That said, I'm getting disappointed the second time through, compared to his other works that I'm now familiar with.

Also, a bunch of Poli sci books for Japanese politics, etc.

Next on the list: Dune: House Corrino.

Tuan Jim

BigPete
01-28-02, 11:46 PM
I started reading Catch 22 but, well, i'm finding it quite unreadable. I understand the style, and I see where he's going with it, but it just doesn't "do it" for me. Maybe it's because I often think exactly as he writes, so it seems like old hat. I have written many a story with a similar narrative style .... perhaps a little bit of the problem comes from my incredible disdain for reading my own writing, regardless of the quality or praise from others.

I'm not really sure why, but that spark isn't there and I have no motivation to continue.

Yossarian is dead ...

smokedragon
01-29-02, 01:37 AM
Halfway through Memories Of Ice, third in a series of books by Steven Erikson called A Tale Of The Malazan Book Of The Fallen.

Absolutely incredible fantasy series. Erikson pulls no punches with the violence. The battles are amazing.Brutal stuff indeed.

I am definitely into this world of humans, and gods, and demons, and undead....

Highly recommended.

After that I have to decide whether to read

Once, by James Herbert

Silent Children, by Ramsey Campbell,

or, Portrait Of A Psychopath As A Young Woman, by Edward Lee and Elizabeth Steffen.

Beatlebob
01-29-02, 10:16 AM
Just started "The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich" by William Shirer

IdgIe49
01-29-02, 01:48 PM
I dont have anymore books to read after I finished A Bend in the Road by Nicholas Sparks.

Right now I'm trying to decide if I wanna pre-order Find Me by Rosie O'Donnell from amazon.

RavenTwo
01-29-02, 01:52 PM
Just finished Body of Secrets by James Bamford about the inner workings of the NSA.

Been trying to get through Les Miserable, but am about 1/2 way complete.

Darren H
01-29-02, 03:45 PM
I started reading Catch 22 but, well, i'm finding it quite unreadable.
In my experience, yours is one of only two reactions readers have to Catch-22. If you laugh out loud on page one -- like I do every time I pick it up -- then you're beginning one of the most enjoyable reads of your life. If it doesn't work for you right from the start, well, it won't get any better.

Because you're a writer, let me give you one suggestion, though: If you decide that you don't want to finish it, read "The Eternal City" before putting the book away. "The Eternal City" is one of the last chapters and it's the emotional center of the novel. It's also the only chapter in which Heller strips away all of the irony and dark humor and makes the reader experience the very real horrors of war. That chapter is by far the best writing Heller was capable of.

Back on topic. I've recently finished:

- Cane by Jean Toomer (for the third or fourth time)
- When Harlem was in Vogue by David Levering Lewis - an exhaustive and refreshingly readable history of the Harlem Renaissance
- O Pioneers! by Willa Cather - a novel I had put off reading for years, it was infinitely better than I had imagined.

Making my way through:

- The Pensees by Blaise Pascal - this is slow going because I'm only reading a few pages a night before going to sleep.
- Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow - I've been meaning to read a Bellow novel for some time, and I found this one sitting on my book shelf.
- Revolt of the Filmmakers by George Faraday - Just picked this one up, it's a study of the Russian film industry after the fall of the Soviet Union.

Easy
01-29-02, 04:14 PM
I'm reading the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. Military Science Fiction set in a future where decendents of Earth have moved out into the universe from the home planet. Honor is a female Navy officer serving the Kingdom of Manticore. I honestly didn't think I would like these books but I got the first couple, On Basilisk Station andThe Honor of the Queen FREE from the Baen Free Library. http://www.baen.com/library/ Well, I did like them very much so I have been suckered into buying the rest. ;) Eric Flynt knows what he's doing... giving out freebies and getting you hooked in the process. It is also a good way to discover new writers you might like.

A bit about Weber from the Baen site: Granted, the decade has just begun, but David Weber shows all signs of being the science fiction phenomenon of the decade. Weber is often compared to C.S. Forester (the celebrated creator of Captain Horatio Hornblower), is the recipient of critical praise worthy of Heinlein or Asimov, and has hordes of voracious fans clamoring for more and more Weber.

Free books available in several formats. I recommend them.

p1forest
01-29-02, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by smokedragon
Halfway through Memories Of Ice, third in a series of books by Steven Erikson called A Tale Of The Malazan Book Of The Fallen.

Absolutely incredible fantasy series. Erikson pulls no punches with the violence. The battles are amazing.Brutal stuff indeed.

Highly recommended.

I've been trying to find this series; unfortunately, I don't think it's carried by any US publisher. I can get the first 2 books from Amazon for $37, though. Where did you get your copies?

Personally, I'm just starting A Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb. Glad to see a return to the Fitz character. I agree with the general consensus that the 2nd trilogy (Liveship Traders) was written better, but I enjoyed the story and characters of the 1st one better.

littlefuzzy
01-29-02, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Easy
I'm reading the Honor Harrington series by David Weber

:up: :up:

Scarecrow
01-30-02, 01:17 AM

Highly recommended.

Sounds right up my alley. I'll have to look into it.

Right now I'm reading Magehound by Elaine Cunningham. Haven't gotten very far yet, but so far I like it.

hotaru_san
01-30-02, 01:51 AM
I'm reading Blood and Gold (Anne Rice). I bought it when it came out but I have had so much to read for school that I haven't been able to read much of it. I finally have a little time, so I should finish it soon. So far I like it better than I've liked her last few vampire books. It's also making me want to reread Armand.

smokedragon
01-30-02, 02:03 AM
I got Gardens Of The Moon, and Deadhouse Gates from ebay.I just searched everyday until one week, both showed up, from two different sellers.

I was the only one to bid on the books.
Nice deal, huh :)

Memories Of Ice I preordered from Amazon.co.uk.

On the Malazan Empire board Erikson stated (cut and paste):

" US publishers have yet to bite on the series. It's been called 'too complicated,' which my American friends find somewhat insulting. Has to do with perceived markets, and thus far US editors don't perceive one, not in any desperate way, in any case. Personally, I can be patient. It'll come eventually. In the meantime, there's always amazon.co.uk."

Too complicated? Okay, there is a lot going on, many, many characters, plots within plots within plots,BUT, I haven't felt lost, and I certainly do not feel it too complicated.

Memories Of Ice is almost 900 pages long, but I have never felt Jesus, when is it going to end?

I DON'T WANT IT TO END!!!!

This series just gets better and better with each book.

Fantasy..., would never have even thought of reading Fantasy.

I may never have even given the genre a try if it wasn't for those of you who raved about A Song Of Ice And Fire.

I'm so glad I took your suggestions.

Many thanks.

Alien Redrum
01-30-02, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Tommy_Harn
Killing Time by Caleb Carr. Just started it.

Is that the one that takes place in the future? If so, how is it? I've read The Alienist and it's follow up and really enjoyed those.

As for what I'm reading...

I just finished Stuart Woods's Orchid Beach. I enjoyed it very much, although the finale was a little forced. The writing, however, was pretty good. It was Elmore Leonard in the way that it had a beat to it. That is the best way I can describe it.

I have started on Minette Walters's The Echo. I'm on page 20 or so and I've started to get sucked in a little bit.

-Steve

swamptours
01-30-02, 09:35 PM
I am currently working my way through God Emperor of Dune. Kind of tough reading. Next will be Heretics of Dune. Working my way through the Dune series slowly but surely.

RoQuEr
01-30-02, 10:43 PM
I always read multiple books at once so that I don't get hooked and waste day(s) reading and rereading it. I lost almost a month to Zen and the art of motorcycle Maintenance. Stopped reading it becuase my tattered and notated copy fell apart.

Anyways, I'm reading; The mother Tongue by Bill Bryson. Very entertaining, beware, you might learn! Mind over water by craig lambert is a great romantization of the great sport of rowing. He has a very philisophical outlook on everyday things. Rowers and non-rowers alike will enjoy this. It reminds me of one of my favorite books, everything I ever needed to know I learned in kindergarden(sp?) Finally, I am reading in persuit of excellence by dr terry orlich, but I haven't really gotten into it yet.

Scarecrow
01-31-02, 12:00 AM
" US publishers have yet to bite on the series. It's been called 'too complicated,' which my American friends find somewhat insulting. Has to do with perceived markets, and thus far US editors don't perceive one, not in any desperate way, in any case. Personally, I can be patient. It'll come eventually. In the meantime, there's always amazon.co.uk."

Stuff like that just bugs me. Too complicated????

Anyway, I ordered the first one to give it a try. I can't believe what the "rare" book people are getting for these, I don't think I'd ever pay $40-$80 for a book in paperback. If it's anything like the reviews I've been reading I know I'm going to love it. I'll probably just order the other two from a UK bookstore. I'm afraid I'm going to get hooked and it'll be a long wait until House of Chains comes out.

Charlie Goose
01-31-02, 02:12 PM
I'm almost finished with John Maxim's, "Bannerman's Promise". It's the third consecutive Bannerman novel I've read. Next will be "Omerta" by Mario Puzo.

lorenzoh
02-01-02, 06:29 PM
I think I'm going through a period of "lightweight reading" which, in this case means, not heavy. Just finished Nick Hornby's "High Fidelity" and I'm half way through PJ O'Rourke's "Holiday's in Hell". I may pick up a heavier tome when I work up the strength.

Penny Lane
02-03-02, 07:56 PM
I've been pretty bogged down in school readings, which include:

Ulysses-James Joyce
two studies on Ulysses by two different writers
The Frederick Douglass Reader
various poems by Robert Frost (bleh)

Next week we start on Booker T. Washington in my Black Authors seminar class, but Ulysses will take the rest of my semester in James Joyce.

When I have time to read, I am working on this book called A Guide to the Teachings and Practices of the Catholic Church so I can understand James Joyce a little better, C.S. Lewis's Miracles, and a book by John M. Ellis titled Literature Lost: Social Agendas and the Corruption of the Humanities. It's basically about the wrong turn literary studies have taken and the detriment of cultural studies.

Maybe one day I'll have time for a life, eh? :)

2crappy
02-03-02, 08:29 PM
Finished reading Dune: House Harkonnen....Working on Earth by David Brin. Only problem with the book is its not too subtle message. Interesting format and I like the illustrations (I like pictures.)

Most likely, I try to get my hands on Dune: House Corrino or Patricia Highsmith's Ripley Series. Or I'll try to finish Lord of the Ring Series. Man, the first book took me forever to finish which is odd since the Hobbit only took me three days.

BDB
02-04-02, 05:27 PM
Just picked up Enzo Ferrari: a Life - Richard Williams to read on the plane next week.

Just read Kitchen Confidential by anthony bouirdain based on the recommendations on the last thread, I throughly enjoyed it.However reading about prep work and the stuff that goes on behind the scenes does not instill confidence in eating out at clean locations,.

absinthe
02-05-02, 03:02 AM
I was given a book for Christmas by a cousin that I just finished. And it was amazingly good ...

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon (author of the book Wonder Boys).

It just won the 2001 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. I think it was deserved.

Oh, and if you happen to be into comic books at all, then this is a book you must not miss!

Hope some of you will check it out. This is the kind of book you wanna share with others :-)

Aaron

wrinkleintime
02-05-02, 03:09 AM
James Morrow's The Eternal Footman.

Darren H
02-05-02, 08:25 AM
absinthe, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Kavalier and Clay. If you haven't found it yet, check out Chabon's personal home page, which he updates frequently:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mchabon/

It looks like the Pulitzer and the success of Wonder Boys has finally brought him some much-deserved attention. I tried his site a minute ago and discovered that he had surpassed his monthly allotment of web traffic.

Penny Lane, good luck with Ulysses. If you make it all the way through, then you're a more dedicated student than I. Also, I'd be very interested to hear your opinion of the Ellis book.

p1forest
02-05-02, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Scarecrow

Stuff like that just bugs me. Too complicated????

Anyway, I ordered the first one to give it a try. I can't believe what the "rare" book people are getting for these, I don't think I'd ever pay $40-$80 for a book in paperback. If it's anything like the reviews I've been reading I know I'm going to love it. I'll probably just order the other two from a UK bookstore. I'm afraid I'm going to get hooked and it'll be a long wait until House of Chains comes out.

Scarecrow, who did you order it from and how much was it? I noticed from Amazon.com you can get the 1st 2 books for $37.

Finished Robin Hobb's Fool's Errand. Excellent book. Best book I've read in quite a while. For those of you that are Hobb fans (I know there have been a few here from previous posts), I know you'll enjoy this book. I'll probably Feist's Tear of the Gods next.

kaisha no saru
02-05-02, 02:54 PM
Currently engrossed in Jonathan Carroll's The Land of Laughs . I'm a big fan of Carroll's Sleeping in Flame .

Am getting ready to start Gish Jen's Who's Irish? . Also a fan of her other work.

Scarecrow
02-06-02, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by p1forest

Scarecrow, who did you order it from and how much was it? I noticed from Amazon.com you can get the 1st 2 books for $37.

I ordered the trade paperback version from a private seller through Amazon for $20. Providing I like it, which from the sound of things I will, I think I'll order the other two from Amazon UK since their prices for them seem pretty good.

BoatDrinks
02-06-02, 01:23 PM
John Adams by David McCullough is in my office. Book is blowing me away!

The Human Factor by Graham Greene is in my bedroom. I am almost always re-reading a Greene novel. :D

Ice by Ed McBain (Evan Hunter) is on tape in my car. Love the 87th Precinct novels!

On deck:
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Candyland by Ed McBain & Evan Hunter :eek:

On deck for the car:
Bag of Bones by Stephen King

bishop2knight
02-06-02, 01:47 PM
Just finished BROWN HARVEST (by Jay Russell), a wonderfully fast read about the boy detective's trip back home. Laced with dark humor and sarcasm.

Now I've picked up PRAYERS FOR RAIN by Lehane. Only about 5 chapters into it, but I already know it's going to be a winner.

Josh-da-man
02-06-02, 02:18 PM
Just finishing up Ghost Story by Peter Straub. I'm going to re-watch the DVD -- I have some thoughts on the book vs. the movie that I might post on shortly.

On the shelf: Slaughtermatic by Steven Aylett, Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, Shadow & Claw by Gene Wolfe, and Cornelius Chronicles by Michael Moorcock.

Blade
02-14-02, 02:12 PM
Getting to be too busy. :(

About half way through Pride and Prejudice. The BBC miniseries is pretty faithful so far. And the book is pretty compelling reading.

I also just finished Dr. Laura Schlessinger's 10 Things Couples Do to Mess Up Their Relationships. Her writing style has improved since her first book and this one, while not as spot on as the first, is a good read for people who are having trouble with a relationship (married or just dating). Some good advice, but written from a a Conservative world-view. A lot of it is made up of letters and calls from her listeners and the variety means that quite a few items are likely to hit very close to home. A fairly fast read too.

-David

mikehunt
02-14-02, 03:33 PM
<u>The Great War: Walk In Hell</u>
the second(I think) of Harry Turtledove's WW I books with the USA fighting against the CSA, Britain, France, Canada, and Japan
it's kind of a continuation of his alternate Civil War books

Harry Turtledove does excellent alternate history books

boobietheclown
02-15-02, 03:09 PM
the Summons - Grishams latest
the Bible

Quake1028
02-15-02, 10:38 PM
The Second Generation
Wheel of Time:Book 2

Eric F
02-16-02, 02:38 PM
Terry Pratchett's Lord's and Ladies (Discworld, of course).

Next is Gene Wolfe's On Blue's Waters. First volume of The Book of the Short Sun. If you haven't read any of his stuff I suggest you pick them up, especially if you're into Fantasy and Sci-Fi. His work is brilliant, especially the earlier Book of the New Sun series, Shadow of the Torturer, etc.

Tuan Jim
02-16-02, 09:27 PM
"The Shadow-Line" -- Joseph Conrad

"Dune: House Corrino" -- Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson

Tuan Jim

Blade
02-18-02, 01:25 AM
Finished Pride & Prejudice! I thought the book was better than the miniseries, but only by a little. I think, however, that I prefer to read the book before seeing the movie. You spend too much time trying to match one up with the other, but to rewatch a movie is only two hours, while rereading a book takes quite a bit longer.

Now on to Martin's A Clash of Kings!

-David

shrike
02-23-02, 02:29 AM
At the moment I am reading 5 books. ( I switch between them depending on mood.) Oak Baby by G.W. Reynolds III. Third book in a series about growing up southern in the little town of Mayport Florida. (Great series by the way...anyone else read these?) A Painted House by John Grisham. Driver #8 by Dale Earnhardt Jr. (Stood in line for over 4 hours to get a signed copy when he was here in Daytona Beach for the Daytona 500) A World History of Film by Robert Sklar. And part 2 of The Dark Knight Strikes Again by Frank Miller...ok it's a comic book but we all have our guilty pleasures. :) And I just picked up A Winter Haunting by Dan Simmons tonight.

Agent_Gandalf
02-23-02, 06:18 AM
Im reading LOTR for my 3rd time. Im also reading The Hobbit and Unfinished Tales.

p1forest
02-23-02, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Blade
Now on to Martin's A Clash of Kings!

-David

Good luck! As I said before, from your previous comments, I'm not sure you're going to like the story until either the end of book 2, or book 3, if you make it that far. ;)

I just started Raymond Feist's Honoured Enemy. For Feist fans, it's a new book revisiting the Riftwar, but not available in the US. Reviews say it's as good as his early work. I got it from Amazon.uk.co, along with Steven Erikson's Malazon series (not shipped yet) and some other stuff.

JawsAddict
02-23-02, 11:08 PM
UNDER A WING: A MEMOIR by Reeve Lindbergh

ziggy
02-23-02, 11:54 PM
Just finished "The Cider House Rules" and started "The Satanic Verses" - pretty drastic difference between the two

Blade
02-24-02, 01:26 AM
Good luck! As I said before, from your previous comments, I'm not sure you're going to like the story until either the end of book 2, or book 3, if you make it that far. ;)

Actually, I'm finding this book much better reading than the first one. And the promise of magic reawakening has really piqued my interest in this series.

Thanks again for your previous comments. :)

-David

Beaver
02-24-02, 03:18 PM
I'm re-reading the Talisman so I can read the Black House next.

Deke Rivers
03-08-02, 08:55 AM
Just finished American Tabloid..On to The COld SIx Thousand..what a whacked writing style..and what a plot!!! great stuff

devilpants
03-10-02, 11:26 AM
Let me know how Cold 6K turned out...I started a thread about it...right now I'm reading "Moon:The Life And Death Of A Rock Legend", a terrific biography on Keith Moon... I'm halfway through its sprawling 600 pages. -eek-

darkside
03-10-02, 02:16 PM
Just finished 50 Candles, a Earl Derr Biggers short story. Easy to see where the ideas for Charlie Chan began in that short mystery. I also like the way Biggers sticks a Romance in the back story to all his mysteries. The Chan books are the same way.

I'm now reading the first of the Dragonrider of Pern books, Dragonflight. An old book, but I've never read McCaffrey before and wanted to try it out. Only on chapter 3 so its too early for me to make an opinion of the book.

Cedar
03-10-02, 03:32 PM
Currently reading Chosen Prey by John Sanford.Just started it but expect it to be on par with the rest of the series.

Just finished Up Country by Nelson DeMille.It was a follow up book to Generals Daughter in that the main character Paul Brenner is back.Another good book.DeMille is probably my favorite author right now,can't say I've not liked any of his books.Most of his books involve new people each book so there isn't that stale quality you get with some series.His best stuff IMO was Generals Daughter,Gold Coast,and Plum Island was the best of all.

Blade
03-16-02, 02:53 PM
Finished A Clash of Kings a couple nights ago and am now working through A Storm of Swords. This series really took off with the second book after the somewhat lackluster Game of Thrones. So far, Swords is just as good. J. Lannister's an interesting character with a lot of history.

I'm also reading a non-fiction book called Christianity on Trial, which is about the positive affect Christianity has had on the human condition. I'm also trying to get caught up on the weekly political magazine I read.

Beaver
03-20-02, 04:21 PM
Just finished Slaughterhouse-5 by Kurt Vonnegut, and am now reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.

benedict
03-20-02, 05:15 PM
Mid eighties cyber noir set in a middle eastern environment. USA and USSR completely balkanised but not much focus on that side; more about a private eye, Marid Audran, investigating some very grisly goings on in a seedy tourist quarter.

I can imagine this one being turned into a film although the drug and sex-trade details might have to be toned down.

I'm on the look out for the sequel to see how the protagonist's change in status worked out (and just learned that there was a third novel written).

Xytraguptorh
03-27-02, 11:05 AM
I just finished A Winter Haunting by Dan Simmons (I was disappointed by it) a few days ago, and now I'm reading The Island by Richard Laymon (which, so far, is way more enjoyable than A Winter Hauting).

As soon as I'm done with The Island, I'm going to start on A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K. Dick.

p1forest
03-29-02, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Blade
Finished A Clash of Kings a couple nights ago and am now working through A Storm of Swords. This series really took off with the second book after the somewhat lackluster Game of Thrones. So far, Swords is just as good. J. Lannister's an interesting character with a lot of history.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the series more!

Started Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. Strange book; I'm about 1/4 through the book, and am finally getting into the story, but I'm just not finding the story very compelling. Maybe because the reviews I read gushed so much about this book, my expectations were too high. Plus, Mieville seems to use flowery prose, similes, etc. too much for my taste.

Gdrlv
03-29-02, 01:07 PM
Starting Hell to Pay by George P. Pelecanos this weekend. Can't wait to dive into it. Read a story or two in Everything's Eventual whenever the mood strikes me.

Charlie Goose
03-29-02, 02:09 PM
The other day I read "The Catcher in the Rye" for the first time. Now, I'm in the middle of "Dreamcatcher" by Stephen King. It's not one of his best. Next will be "The Horse and His Boy" from the Chronicles of Narnia.

I plan on reading some classics very soon, like "The Great Gatsby" or something by James Joyce.

http://charliegoose.homestead.com/files/goose.jpg Honk!

efanning
03-30-02, 05:26 AM
Man...I have read "Catcher in the Rye" in YEARS...I should get that and reread it.

I just finished "Dreamcatcher" by Stephen King. I agree that it's not one of his bests. But I thought it was pretty good. Won't give you any spoilers...except that Rosebud was a sled!!

Josh-da-man
04-03-02, 01:16 AM
Trip to the bookstore. April reading list as follows:

Read (in the bookstore, no less) but didn't buy:

Bias - by Bernard Goldberg. I approached this book with some amount of interest. Saw it in B&N, but balked when I saw it was published by Regnery. A very slight tome, I sat down and read the whole thing in less than an hour. It's hard to take Goldberg seriously about media bias when his problem isn't that there is a bias, but it's not the bias he would prefer. He also comes off as a very small, bitter man with a number of axes to grind. Typical Regnery trash. I put it back for some other sucker to buy.

What I DID buy:

Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley - I normally avoid fantasy like the plague, but the feminist retelling of the Arthurian legend with a pagan vs. Christian subtext appealed to me.

Do What Thou Wilt: A Life of Aleister Crowley by Lawrence Sutin - been a big fan of "The Beast" for ages, and this "definitive" biography sounded like a ripping good yarn.

Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an ex-Conservative by David Brock - Bought sight unseen. I never read Brock's books about Hillary Clinton or Anita Hill, but according to this, they were all lies anyway, so no loss there. Should be a good read.

Shamanspace by Steve Aylett. The Amazon description: "Opposing groups of occult assassins compete to exterminate God. In a multidimensional war, young gun Alix travels through sidespace to confront evil-though he risks destroying the universe. When he becomes the victim of a complex conspiracy between his closest allies and the enemy, his resolve is tested. This alchemical conspiracy adventure tackles fundamental questions about the nature of good and evil and the relationship between humans and god." How cool does that sound?

Eh... getting too many books. Need a bigger house. ;)

p1forest
04-03-02, 11:48 AM
Finished Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. Very disappointed. I don't know what all the hype was about. It seems that the gushing reviews about his cyber-punk world were overrated to me, as if those people had never read a well-conceived sci-fi world before. And I didn't like the ending, either.

Blew through Honoured Enemy by Raymond Feist & William Fortstchen. Great book. Much, much better than Feist's recent Krondor books.

Now, finally, starting in on Steven Erikson's Gardens of the Moon. I'm sure I'll be comparing it to George R.R. Martin's work the whole way.

Pointyskull
04-03-02, 11:57 AM
Just finished:
The Treatment - Mo Hayder

Halfway through:
Trials of the Monkey: An Accidental Memoir - Matthew Chapman

About to start:
Word Freak: Heartbreak, Triumph, Genius, and Obsession in the World of Competitive Scrabble Players

ziggy
04-03-02, 11:59 AM
I read "Fight CLub" yesterday - only took about 4 hours -

and started "Love in the Time of Cholera" yesterday - read about 70 pages, pretty good so far. Its one of those books where every now and then you realize that the author has just said something profound - but he doesn't hit you over the head with it or point at it and say, "look what I did!" Its there, and just under the surface so those that want it can take it and those that don't see it won't. Good book, good writer.

Scarecrow
04-03-02, 07:31 PM
Halfway through The Dark Glory War by Michael A. Stackpole. I like it alot so far. Anyone who's into fantasy should give it a look. As long as you don't mind first person stuff.

p1forest
04-04-02, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Scarecrow
Halfway through The Dark Glory War by Michael A. Stackpole. I like it alot so far. Anyone who's into fantasy should give it a look. As long as you don't mind first person stuff.

I read that about a month ago; good book. The second one, Fortress Draconis, is good also. But just beware that it takes place decades after Dark Glory War, and there are only a couple of returning characters.

On a different subject, I'm only about 50 pages into Gardens of the Moon, but it's already a great book!

Scarecrow
04-04-02, 12:33 PM
I read that about a month ago; good book. The second one, Fortress Draconis, is good also. But just beware that it takes place decades after Dark Glory War, and there are only a couple of returning characters.

Yep, I know. I've got Fortress Draconis in my read pile, probably next.

Three Day Delay
04-04-02, 01:40 PM
Cobb- Al Stump

Ty Cobb's biography....fascinating.

Vampyr
04-04-02, 08:29 PM
Death of The West (Pat Buchanan) - Will finish tonight.

The Punic Wars (Adrian Goldsworthy) - 100 or so pages finished.

Counterpoint: A Translation of Kontrapunkt Book II (Heinrich Schenker) - 2nd time and not the last. I use it as one of my references when composing music.

Startide
04-07-02, 01:54 PM
For the simple pleasure of it, I am reading various anime fan-fiction. In some cases, the fan-fiction stories were better written than a number of printed paperback sci-fi-fantasy books I've read. In some cases, the "what-if" or alternate-history angles of the fan-fiction let me enjoy other variations of the anime characters from a plot-oriented angle.

Favourite Sailor-Moon fan-fiction epic: SAILOR MOON 4200 by Angus McSpon (http://shell.ihug.co.nz/~macspon/fanfic/sm4200/sm4200.html)

2nd most-favourite Robotech Fan-fiction epic: Fox Squadron by G.L. Sandborn (http://home.kc.rr.com/sandborn/foxpage.html). My favourite Robotech epic "Animation: Recollections of the Triumvirate" is not available online (only in APA printed format).

Trial By Tenderness (a magnum opus based on Ah!MyGoddess) by Cevn McGuire (http://trialbytenderness.guildspace.com/) I always liked the customized pointer at his website.

Ragnarok Agenda by David Row (http://www.users.fl.net.au/~bcadwgan/ragnarok.htm) is my favourite unfinished fan-fiction. In my impatience to see the upcoming chapter 5, I had even written 12 pages of my version of what chapter 5 could be. It is a "crossover" serial featuring characters from three of my favourite anime shows (Iczer-One the Movie, Ah! Megami-sama, Bubblegum Crisis).

fiver
04-12-02, 11:45 AM
Just finished a story collection of shirley jackson's...not quite my cup of tea I think...stories were well written and I enjoyed the style...I just didn't see much "conflict" or "tension building" in most of the stories.

Currently I'm wading through Suetonius' "The Twelve Caesars"...always an interest in Ancient Rome and the Roman Emperors...

Michael G Haynes

greeny
04-15-02, 02:35 PM
1984 - George Orwell for the 50th time.

cineman
04-15-02, 03:46 PM
just finished Funland by Richard Laymon and started Certain Prey by John Sandford.

MrKen
04-16-02, 02:10 AM
Broke my computer in November, so I've done a lot of reading lately. Consequently, this is also my first post in a long while.

Just finished the trilogy His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. It is technically kid stuff I guess, although I suspect it's readers are mainly adults. Anyway, it is a very quick read, and quite good actually. Very anti-organized religion though, in a manner of speaking. It deals with alternate universes connected together and the last book is another war against "the authority" i.e. the big Kahuna.

Also just finished The Sparrow and the sequel Children of God by Mary Doria Russel. First one was great, second one was somewhat good but suffered from the very odd addition of Mafioso types in what was a very engaging story of a Jesuit Priest's journey to the first discovered alien world and back to Earth, and then back again to the alien world. It makes perfect sense that the Jesuits would be able to mount an expedition to the first successful hit of the SETI program before any governments got around to it, and on this premise the author builds a pretty cool story. Things go wrong of course, so the book is part sci-fi adventure, part examination of a man's spiritual journey (the protagonist near-literally gets it in the ass from God at one point and much of the story is about his coming to terms with his faith etc.), part anthropological discourse on biological, social, and political organization, and all in all, a major source of really intriguing moral questions. I was initially turned off by the faith aspect of it- as a atheist I sometimes have trouble liking protagonists who are very into religion, and this guy is a preist- but turns out he is definitely one of my most favorite characters in any book ever, and I was happy and relieved when he regains his faith in God at the end of the story (really only a mild spoiler there). Paperbacks available for both books, and definitely worth a look.

Read some stuff that is not worthwhile, but I can barely remember most of it.

Now reading (finally getting to it): Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. Liking it so far, but I have to read it at about 1/5 the speed that I read all other novels, which is still fast, but I was sort of getting used to reading much much faster. So, it's a big investment of time- hope its worth it. Any opinions on it?

benedict
04-16-02, 01:37 PM
MrKen, a week ago I purchased volumes two and three of the Pullman books and will start reading the series as and when I find volume one "on offer"! It is some years since I read Eco's Name of the Rose: for some reason I don't think I've even read the copy of Pendulum that sits on one of my overburdened bookcases! The Sparrow<i> is</i> a major work and, although the second is less groundbreaking, together they represent some of the more "intelligent" science-fiction around; quite useful for convincing a sceptic that the genre is worth trying!

Currently I am re-reading Jack Womack's oeuvre! For people who like their novels replete with challenging linguistic quirks and in a dark, Manichaean (sp?) near-future setting, they are certainly recommended. I am finding them worth the re-read. (So far I've finished Ambient and Heathern).

silentbob007
04-16-02, 11:10 PM
I'm currently reading Ceremony by Leslie Silko. I just finished Faulkner's As I Lay Dying.

efanning
04-17-02, 04:18 AM
I'm currently reading "From The Corner Of His Eye" by Dean Koontz. Not a bad book so far. Almost done with it.

(Moderator note: Continue in Part 3: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201422 -Blade)