Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Dario Argento's 3 vol dvd sets-worth getting??

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-02, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rented the dvd of Suspiria, after positive reviews of this italian horror and absolutly loved it!!! I purchased the limited edition (three discs) of Suspiria and cannot recommend it enough.
I also found three volume sets from this director containing Deep Red, Inferno, Demons, etc.
Has anybody watched these dvd's and are they worth a purchase?
Old 01-27-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Profondo Rosso AKA Deep Red is also known as Suspiria 2 (although I don't don't know why since the subject matter isn't the same at all). Some people consider Deep Red a better film, although I liked both of them equally.

I would imagine if you can get the 3-DVD sets at a reasonable price ($10-15 per movie), then you should be OK.
Old 01-27-02, 10:37 AM

the Bus:
Deep Red is not AKA Suspiria 2. If anything, Inferno is the unofficial sequel to Suspiria since it centers around the Three Mothers. Suspiria, Inferno, and a third film (if ever made) will complete the Three Mothers trilogy. Deep Red also came out two years BEFORE Suspiria.

starving DVDer:
The two-disc Argento sets are a great way to build your collection. They average about $10-$20 less than buying the discs individually. They are also the exact same discs and inserts if you purchased them individually. One thing to be aware of is the Demons/Demons 2 set. These films were only produced by Dario and not directed by Dario. These films in my opinion are very sub-par when compared to actual films directed by Dario. Hope this info helps.

Last edited by ytsejam; 01-27-02 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-27-02, 11:32 AM

The "Suspiria 2" misnomer stems from the Japanese release. Profondo Rosso wasn't widely distributed in Japan until after the success of Suspiria, at which time it was sub-titled "Suspiria 2" to cash in on this success. Totally absurd of course, for the reasons ytsejam mentioned, but that's marketing for you...

Last edited by Fly Agaric; 01-27-02 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-29-02, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Dario Argento's 3 vol dvd sets-worth getting??

Originally posted by starving dvder
I rented the dvd of Suspiria, after positive reviews of this italian horror and absolutly loved it!!! I purchased the limited edition (three discs) of Suspiria and cannot recommend it enough.
I also found three volume sets from this director containing Deep Red, Inferno, Demons, etc.
Has anybody watched these dvd's and are they worth a purchase?
I have the individual releases, but if I hadn't already, I would have gotten the sets.
Deep Red is my favorite Argento film.
I also recommend that you get Opera, The Cat 'O Nine Tails, and The Bird With the Crystal Plummage.
Argento's more recent works are hit or miss (The Stendhal Syndrome, The Phantom of the Opera, and Sleepless) with most people, so you should all his earlier work available on dvd first.

Then, if you are still interested in Italian horror, I recommend becoming acquainted with Mario Bava. I am still working my way through his many films on dvd.
There's also Lucio Fulci, Michele Soavi, and Lamberto Bava......

and there's a lot beyond that that I haven't ventured into yet....
Old 01-29-02, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,924 Posts
Re: Re: Dario Argento's 3 vol dvd sets-worth getting??

Originally posted by garmonbozia

Argento's more recent works are hit or miss (The Stendhal Syndrome, The Phantom of the Opera, and Sleepless) with most people, so you should all his earlier work available on dvd first.
The Stendhal Syndrome is really under-rated in my opinion. Classic Argento. One caveat, though. This disc was put out by Troma, so most of the extras on the disc amount to Lloyd Kaufman goofing around in the street, Julie Strain writhing around in a bikini, and a bunch of Toxic Avenger and Sgt. Kabukiman nonsense. Seems sort of out of place on a disc with a film as serious and grim as this.

Phantom of the Opera (not to be confused with the superior Opera) is awful. Avoid.

Sleepless has gotten some good reviews, as well as some not so good. Oh, and the DVD is pan and scan.

But go ahead and pick up the two-packs. It's a little cheaper than buying the discs individually. Just be sure to pick up the Phenomena/Tenebre and Deep Red/Inferno volumes before you get the Demons pack. The first two are better films.
Old 01-29-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Argento volume sets.

Just picked up volumes 1&3 yesterday. I might pick up volume 2 (demons/demons 2) eventually.
Old 04-30-02, 02:53 AM

What kind of packaging is used for the sets? Are the two films in each set on the same disc? If two discs, are they in separate cases?
Old 04-30-02, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Argento volume sets....

.....are two movies on two seperate discs in one keep case.
Old 04-30-02, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Argento volume sets....

Originally posted by starving dvder
.....are two movies on two seperate discs in one keep case.
Yes, they're two discs in those double-wide amaray cases.

BTW, I have the Demons Set (Argento LE vol. 3) for trade/sale.
If anyone's interested, let me know.
Thanks!

clappj
-Gold Trader
Old 04-30-02, 08:34 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving to DVD Reviews.
Old 04-30-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally posted by ytsejam
the Bus:
Deep Red is not AKA Suspiria 2. If anything, Inferno is the unofficial sequel to Suspiria since it centers around the Three Mothers. Suspiria, Inferno, and a third film (if ever made) will complete the Three Mothers trilogy. Deep Red also came out two years BEFORE Suspiria.

Deep Red was released as Suspiria 2 in Japan.

The 2 disc set are worth the money and the content is the same as the single disc movies.