Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2 - Tony Hawk 3 or SSX Tricky?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
PS2 - Tony Hawk 3 or SSX Tricky?

I just began getting some games for the PS2 I got this holiday. But with a limited gaming budget, I am only going to get one of these "Xtreme" skating games. I have heard rave reviews for both games. But to me, it is the same type of game. (In different environments, of course.)

I would like to get some input on this - If you are forced to picked between one of these two, which one with you go with?

Thanks,

PAL
Old 01-25-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My choice would be SSX Tricky. I have it for the Xbox and love it. I had THPS3 for the PS2 but I guess the tony Hawk games just aren't my cup of tea.
Old 01-25-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went with SSX Tricky. This game is a lot less realistic, so if simulation is what you want, Hawk might be more your style. But SSX Tricky offers big, dramatic tricks, wild levels, and fast action.

Snowboarding and skateboarding are different in that, with skateboarding, you are in an arena that you can move around, while with snowboarding you are moving down a mountain.

As such, SSX is, at its core, a racing game, while Tony Hawk is a platformer. Both have trick systems worked on top of that dynamic, and deal heavily with getting high scores, but they are very different at fundamental levels.

Also, Tony Hawk's trick system relies on linking together different grinds with reverts and manuals. SSX Tricky's system deals more with getting huge air, and doing insane flips and spins, and the outrageous Ubertricks. I think SSX Tricky's system is more lively and exciting, but others, especially skateboarding fans, prefer Tony Hawk's system
Old 01-25-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=170139

I first got THPS3 and I love it...then I happened to get a game for my Bday which I already had, and traded it for SSX:Tricky... and I love it too. So I'm no help.
Old 01-25-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

a quick way to decide

If you like trick-based games and getting high scores, go for Tony Hawk. If you like racing games more, get SSX Tricky.
Old 01-25-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IMO, THPS3 is a better dual-player game, too.
Old 01-25-02, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love both games, and have both. Hard to say in my opinion, but my girlfriend likes SSX Tricky much more, because it's not as difficult to pull off the tricks and SSX is much faster (of course it is a racing game too). So I guess one of the considerations to take is that. SSX has trick modes too, but the tricks aren't hard to do on the controller, it involves mostly timing and aiming. Tony Hawk, has the same, but it involves more, quicker button pressing and manuevering.
Old 01-25-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Liver&Onions
http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=170139

I first got THPS3 and I love it...then I happened to get a game for my Bday which I already had, and traded it for SSX:Tricky... and I love it too. So I'm no help.
That vote is damn_close.

Which game is 'better'
SSX: Tricky 19 46.34%
Tony Hawk 3 22 53.66%
Old 01-25-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I have both as well and would say Tony Hawk has more hours of fun. Don't get me wrong they are both great but I think Tony has its number.
Old 01-25-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by BigDaddy
I have both as well and would say Tony Hawk has more hours of fun. Don't get me wrong they are both great but I think Tony has its number.
I thought I was more or less done with Tricky. Then I went home, and my brother started playing it, and I had to go back and fight to own my own high score lists, which turns out to be very challenging and adds a lot of replay to the game.
Old 01-25-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought SSX Tricky as soon as it came out even though I'm not at all into sports or sports games. I just thought it looked amazing. It has become the best game I own for the PS2, IMHO. And I have GTA3, GT3, MGS2, etc..

Love the game. Plain and simple.

Then my friend asked if I wanted to borrow a game so I asked for THPS3. I grew tired of it real fast. The idea of "missions" in a game likes this seems odd to say the least. Unlocking levels in this game was awful where as unlocking stuff in SSX was a blast.

I'd say SSX Tricky is a game that is fast, fun and will be something I'll get more than my moneys worth out of.
Old 01-26-02, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Both are outstanding, and I really wouldn't consider them the same genre. Get both.

I'm no help, huh?
Old 01-26-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by mljones99
My choice would be SSX Tricky. I have it for the Xbox and love it. I had THPS3 for the PS2 but I guess the tony Hawk games just aren't my cup of tea.
I absolutely love thps3 (beat it like ten times) but my best friend cannot score hardly any points. (and he's awesome at video games) To each his own, I suppose.
Old 01-26-02, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tony Hawk 3

how can you go wrong with a perfect 10 rating from gamespot?
Old 01-28-02, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions.

I realize the play style is a little different for these two games. But the racing aspect of SSX has more appeal to me. Just so happened that I spotted a used copy at BBV this weekend. So I bought SSX Tricky for $22.50. I played it this weekend at my friend's house for 3 hours, and it was a lot of fun. The key is definitely good timing on the jumps so you can get the hang time to pull off the big air tricks. I can't wait to get my own PS2 set up and play it with real-time DTS.

Since I saved a few bucks on the game this time, if I happen to find THPS3 at a similar price, I just might have to snag one as well.

PAL