Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Cuss words are blocked by a censor, so why are mature threads allowed?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-02, 03:41 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand Geoff's desire to make this a family site. I have no problem with the auto-censor. However, what makes no sense is that if you're going to censor cuss words, then why allow mature threads in Other. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of trying to have a family oriented site? I imagine most parents would be more upset if they saw their child reading Betho's anal sex thread (or The Hottest Amateur Chick thread, or any of the numerous mature topics that get posted in other) than if they saw swear words in a post their kid was reading.

Personally, I don't mind the mature threads. I don't post from work, and they are easy to avoid if you don't want to see them. I just don't like the hypocracy in the rules.

Either make it a family site, or let pretty much anything go. It's stupid to have an auto-censor for cuss words, but to allow threads on anal sex, babe pictures etc. Those things are much more offensive, to a greater number of people (especially parents) than 4 letter words.

So if you want it to be a family site, ban the mature threads and keep the censor on. Otherwise, allow them and get rid of the damn auto-censor. By banning cuss words, and allowing mature sexual topics, it makes the site very unprofessional and makes you look like a fool because you're basically saying "I want this to be a family site, so swear words are not allowed, but feel free to talk about your experiences with anal sex, your favorite sexual postions, post pics of scantily clad girls, post links to nude pictures, etc."

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 01-24-02 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-24-02, 04:12 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Josh, you make a heckuvalot of sense there bud.
Old 01-24-02, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can understand where you are coming from. But the reality of the forum is that the mature threads are pretty much exclusive to the Other Forum, and even there we do try to keep the threads 'under control'.

Our goal is to make DVD Talk a friendly place, is it Family Friendly? No, not really, as there are discussions about details of R-rated moves which would not be apropriate for younger people. But to me the cursing is less an issue of family friendly and more an issue of keeping things civil.
Old 01-24-02, 04:51 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Cuss words are blocked by a censor, so why are mature threads allowed?

Originally posted by joshhinkle
Either make it a family site, or let pretty much anything go. It's stupid to have an auto-censor for cuss words, but to allow threads on anal sex, babe pictures etc. Those things are much more offensive, to a greater number of people (especially parents) than 4 letter words.
Just to add a little to Geoff's post....

These are not mutually exclusive things.

We have autocensored certain swear words because they can create (in any thread) an atmosphere of hostility and coarseness that we would like to minimize. The mature threads in the other forum are self-contained, as you have observed yourself.

The use of the mature tags is a compromise to allow people the freedom to discuss things that are likely to be offensive or inappropriate to a reasonable number of people. But since you have to actually click on these threads to be "offended" we feel it's a workable compromise.