Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the word on NBA Inside Drive 2002 for XBOX?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-24-02, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this game suppose to be any good or should I wait for another basketball game for the XBOX. I have NBA Live 2002 for PS2 so it's not like I'm in desperate need of a basketball game.

What's the opinion on this? I have read the reviews on sites like ebgames and Amazon but I don't trust them since most of the reviews were done way before the game was released. I want to hear the opinions of people here since you guys tend to be more brutally honest.
Old 01-24-02, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wait for NBA 2K2. I think it will be the best of the lot.....
Old 01-24-02, 02:01 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Haven't played it yet, but I did find a couple reviews for you.

Sports Gaming Network: 87

http://www.sports-gaming.com/basketb...iew_xbox.shtml

TeamXBox: 4.2/5

http://www.teamxbox.com/content.php?id=242

Seems to be quite favorable. IGN and Gamespot should release their reviews today or tommorrow.

EDIT: Just noticed something very cool about the game. If you are playing with a buddy, you can tap the X button to make his controller rumble when they have to shoot a free throw. The more you tap the button, the harder their controller rumbles!

Last edited by Flay; 01-24-02 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-24-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally posted by Flay

EDIT: Just noticed something very cool about the game. If you are playing with a buddy, you can tap the X button to make his controller rumble when they have to shoot a free throw. The more you tap the button, the harder their controller rumbles!
That is really cool. Neat feature
Old 01-24-02, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by JaxComet
Wait for NBA 2K2. I think it will be the best of the lot.....
just wondering if you have played 2k2 for the dreamcast. i have and thought it wasn't good. i enjoyed 2k1 and 2k but 2k2 just isnt fun. it is impossible to dunk and 75% of 3pters go in. is the xbox the same a.i. and such or is it all different?
Old 01-24-02, 09:06 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

IGN gave Inside Drive a 8.7.

http://xbox.ign.com/reviews/16770.html
Old 01-24-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jpolce

just wondering if you have played 2k2 for the dreamcast. i have and thought it wasn't good. i enjoyed 2k1 and 2k but 2k2 just isnt fun. it is impossible to dunk and 75% of 3pters go in. is the xbox the same a.i. and such or is it all different?
They changed the AI from that for the Playstation2 version of 2K2.....so I'd assume they'd do the same for the XBox version....
Old 01-24-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jpolce

I'm glad you said that I though I was just sucking at the game. Everytime I have Mutumbo or my created center in the deep in the paint they do some sissy pivot layup or a sky hook. JUST GO STRAIGHT UP AND CRAM THE DAMN_BALL That spin crap takes to much time.

Also why can I not see game stats when I go to sub? All I can see is the # of fouls and energy a guy has. WTF! I liked knowing who has the most turn overs and high shooting %.

I hope they come correct with 2K3
Old 01-24-02, 11:32 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

LOL! I read about something else pretty funny about Inside Drive.

You can throw a punch at the refs if you get pissed off with a call. Just press the back button (intentional foul) when you are on defense near a ref. You will receive a technical and get thrown out of the game.
Old 01-25-02, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This game rocks!

The animation looks great and even more importantly, the gameplay is there. This game will not allow you to continually score from 3-pt country. Every player has a shot meter which degrades the more they shoot (makes sense to me...it's called fatigue). Once one of your players is on fire, you'll find the AI begin a double team on him to try and stuff his game.

The dekes (special moves) work well and are not cheesy. You can still get closed off when trying to do a spin move or cross-over if your defender has high ratings. The post up moves are pretty good, although I would've liked to see a better implementation of a fade-away. It's in there but not that spectacular. The manual calls it a drop-back shot, but thankfully, the commentators call it a fade-away.

The commentators are right on. The stuff they say is off the hook! It's the best I've heard in any B-ball videogame because they simply call it like it is. They will say funny things if one of the teams is trailing miserably or if you make poor decisions in passing or shooting. They'll also give player stats every now and then. I forget the women's name at the end of every game, but she does a great job of summing-up the star player on each team and any faults that occured during the game. She will also keep you up to date with the status of players who are injured during a game. This has to be heard to be appreciated.

The game is fun, yet challenging and is closer to representing a real game than any other I've tried.
Old 01-25-02, 01:00 AM
Mod Emeritus

Centurion: great review! Looks like this is the bball game to get for all the consoles. Excellent.
Old 01-25-02, 01:27 AM

Thanks for the review Centurion, I'll go buy the game tomorrow after reading that.
Old 01-25-02, 02:40 AM

Unlike Sega's 2K2, this game doesn't end up being a dunkfest or 3 point shoot-out. This is a thinking game. You've got to utilize the playbook and perform on-the-fly play calling on offense and defense (you can, however, set these to AUTO and let the AI determine what's best at any given situation). The playbook explains the design of each play (diagrams included) and it's up to you to select which ones you'll want to implement for your team. These plays are key to get a man open so you can dish the ball to him and get the jam.
Player substituting is real easy. You can elect to go with a big line-up, quick line-up, your starters, or 3-pt shooters for those clutch situations where you're down by a few. Or you could simply select AUTO.

In other words, you can't just be one of the players. You also need the skills to coach your team. I think this is what will separate those who play this game.
If you don't like to run plays, but instead like to force your way to the hoop or shoot, shoot, shoot with that one favorite player you love, you're not going to like this game. In fact, the AI will be on to you and shut you down.
If you think planning and quick decision making have been lacking in a b-ball videogame, then stop wasting your time reading this and pick it up already. This game's got what 2K2 has and then some.
Old 01-25-02, 11:13 AM
Mod Emeritus

Ign's review is up, anyone know the score?
Old 01-25-02, 11:20 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Scroll up.
Old 01-25-02, 11:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

Thanks Flay. I just woke up.. Doh..

So how are the graphics compared to other basketball games today?
Old 01-25-02, 12:35 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

IGN gave the Graphics a 10.0.

"Outstanding player animation and NBA polish. The textures on players and their uniforms are very well done."

Just as good as NFL Fever I suppose.
Old 01-25-02, 12:51 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Centurion
Unlike Sega's 2K2, this game doesn't end up being a dunkfest or 3 point shoot-out. This is a thinking game. You've got to utilize the playbook and perform on-the-fly play calling on offense and defense (you can, however, set these to AUTO and let the AI determine what's best at any given situation). The playbook explains the design of each play (diagrams included) and it's up to you to select which ones you'll want to implement for your team. These plays are key to get a man open so you can dish the ball to him and get the jam.
Player substituting is real easy. You can elect to go with a big line-up, quick line-up, your starters, or 3-pt shooters for those clutch situations where you're down by a few. Or you could simply select AUTO.

In other words, you can't just be one of the players. You also need the skills to coach your team. I think this is what will separate those who play this game.
If you don't like to run plays, but instead like to force your way to the hoop or shoot, shoot, shoot with that one favorite player you love, you're not going to like this game. In fact, the AI will be on to you and shut you down.
If you think planning and quick decision making have been lacking in a b-ball videogame, then stop wasting your time reading this and pick it up already. This game's got what 2K2 has and then some.

I was interested in this game, thinking it might be the second game (Halo being the first) to make me consider picking up an X-box instead of a PS2 in the future, but not after this description. I just don't care for overly complex sports simulations. I don't necessarily like arcade sports either, just a happy medium of the two. The NBA2K series is more my style, but their have been to many Defensive AI glitches for me to be satified with them. In the first one it was easy to drive, and they compensated for this by having the computer block 80% of your dunks. In 2k1 they stopped you from driving by using poor colision detection, you'd be clearly driving beside some one, and all of a sudden come to a stop like you hit an invisible wall. In the DC version of 2K2, that's still a problem, though not quite as bad, and your players stop when catching a pass, often killing your fast break. I haven't played the PS2 version, so I don't know if they tinkered with the AI any. Hopefully they will before the GC release, or otherwise I'll just wait till next year for a basketball sim, and maybe pick-up NBA Street.
Old 01-25-02, 03:22 PM

joshhinkle: I know what you mean about all the coaching stuff. I'm really not interested in that either but from what I've read, there's an auto feature for the coaching so the player doesn't have to bother with that. Could someone confirm that though?
Old 01-25-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Centurion
stop wasting your time reading this and pick it up already. This game's got what 2K2 has and then some.
You cinched it. Im getting this bad boy tommorow.

Strike that Im going to my ToysRus right now.
Old 01-25-02, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Cyberock
joshhinkle: I know what you mean about all the coaching stuff. I'm really not interested in that either but from what I've read, there's an auto feature for the coaching so the player doesn't have to bother with that. Could someone confirm that though?
Sure, I'll confirm that for you.
'Real-Time Coaching' on page 11 of the game's manual:

During a game, press a direction on the D-pad to display the coaching option you want to change:
Up = Team Defense
Down = Defensive Pressure
Left = Tempo
Right = Playbook

For any one of those, a submenu comes up and you simply select what you want by pressing the D-pad again in the corresponding direction based on this submenu. 'AUTO' happens to be the last selection for all those categories above except for 'Playbook' where there is no 'AUTO' selection. If you don't want to run a specific play, then don't even bother with this. It is (at least) there for you to peruse if you would like to explore this aspect of the game.
Old 01-25-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got in my grubby little hands! Post impressions later, the GF rented that crapfest Rockstar so I wont have my Box til later.
Old 01-25-02, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by joshhinkle
I just don't care for overly complex sports simulations. I don't necessarily like arcade sports either, just a happy medium of the two.
Fair enough. Different strokes for different folks.
I think on-the-fly play calling has been underutilized in b-ball games and ID2002 has finally implemented an easy/quick method of this.
The NBA2K series is more my style, but their have been to many Defensive AI glitches for me to be satified with them. In the first one it was easy to drive, and they compensated for this by having the computer block 80% of your dunks. In 2k1 they stopped you from driving by using poor colision detection, you'd be clearly driving beside some one, and all of a sudden come to a stop like you hit an invisible wall. In the DC version of 2K2, that's still a problem, though not quite as bad, and your players stop when catching a pass, often killing your fast break.
Agreed. These are just some of the things I couldn't stand with the 2K series. There's more but I won't bother. Don't get me wrong, however, 2K2 was fun with all the J's with Shaq, V. Carter, and Kobe but that got tiresome after awhile.
Hopefully they will before the GC release, or otherwise I'll just wait till next year for a basketball sim, and maybe pick-up NBA Street.
No one knows what's in store for next year, although I believe that High Voltage is on the right track with ID2002. Plus, after all the flack they're getting about not including "Create-a-player" or a "Dynsasty Mode", I just can't wait to see what these guys are going to do to fine-tune this new franchise for their 2003 installment.
Old 01-25-02, 08:16 PM

joltaddict--

Can't wait to read your take on this game.....

Not Rock Star.
Old 01-26-02, 12:46 AM

I bought it today. I'm impressed so far. Really need to get into the coaching part. Right now I have it on auto and just playing a regular basketball game. In my opinion I think it blows away NBA live.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.