Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVD Express Question

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVD Express Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-02, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Express Question

Several weeks ago I ordered 2 disks that DVD Express says ships in 2 - 3 days. They have yet to ship and show up on my history page as backordered. I've tried to email express but get no reply.

Anyone else having shipping problems with them?
Old 01-23-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ordered the educational archives discs from them, and they went backordered. Then, after 2 weeks, they e-mailed me that my credit card would expire before the selections were fulfilled(it expires at the end of next month), and said if I didn't update my information, they would cancel my order. So, I cancelled my order, went to another site, and my order shipped the next day.

I've had good experiences with them in the past, but right now I can't recommend them.

robyn
Old 01-23-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really don't think that DVDExpress has gotten back on their feet since coming "back from the dead" a few months ago.

My recent experiences with them have been great, but I only order titles that the web site says are in stock. From what I have seen (and what everyone else has posted), if a title is not in stock, you'll probably never get it from them... regardless of when they promise delivery.

Right now, they are great for "bargain basement" shopping, but I wouldn't preorder or backorder any titles with them. They just simply aren't a reliable e-tailer right now.
Old 01-23-02, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont know right now since their site seems to be down. I ordered 3 titles on thier web site last Saturday. All said pending and then 1 said backordered a day later so I took their advice and cancelled that item. After I did that they again had 1 item of that in-stock but at a higher price. Now its been 48 hours and earlier today the other 2 titles said pending but I cant get on their site now. I think I will just cancel the rest of the order. Did the same exact thing last fall when I tried to order from them.
Old 01-23-02, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just tried again and got the below message in BIG letters:

We are sorry for any inconvenience but this site is currently unavailable.
Old 01-24-02, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Site still down..... is this the end of the line for them?
Old 01-24-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They are back up!!! 35 pages of 60% off or more. I know I should not have but I ordered;

Uncle Tom's Cabin 9.99
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 9.99
Oliver Twist 9.99
Little Fugitive: Special Edition 9.90

I know the chances of getting any of these are are slim but I could not resist ordering them. lots more to if their web site was not so agrivating to use.
Old 01-24-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

53 pages now!!! Maybe a going away sale?

Placed another order for:

A Vampire Happening
Switchblade Sisters

9.99 each I think but both said 1 in-stock, I doubt I will get these either.
Old 01-25-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I ordered a whole bunch of discs yesterday afternoon, including the 2 you mentioned. I would have ordered Mabuse, too, but it was sold out. I am intrigued by their clearance sale stuff, because 2 weeks ago, there were several titles that I wanted. I didn't act fast enough and when I went to place an order a day or two later, the website showed them as "unavailable". I was pretty disappointed and was sure that would my only chance to get these discs cheap from DVDExpress. Yesterday, they had them all again, some of them cheaper than they were 3 weeks ago. I can't understand what they are doing, unless they are so desperate for cash that they are selling certain titles at a loss. If they were going out of business or clearing out old inventory, why would some discs be available, then not available, then available again?
It doesn't make any sense to me, but I spent $300 anyway. The order I placed 3 weeks ago still hasn't arrived, so I might end up with nothing anyway.
Old 01-25-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It does not look like I will be getting anything from them. They said through emails that they tried to process the 2 orders I made yesterday but my credit verification failed and something about trying 3 more times or faxing them new information.

Tried to place an order early this mornig but the credit card verification failed and just tried a few minutes ago and it did the same thing.

The order i placed last Saturday is still pending but they never mentioned that.

Good Luck. I guess if they ever cancel my orders some titles will be available again if they ever had them to begin with.
Old 01-25-02, 11:38 AM

I placed a $75 order on 1/23 (before their website "vanished") and now most of it is backordered (the kiss of death since all of it was from the bargain center). I emailed customer service asking what was up with this order. Today I got a response about they were not able to obtain authorization on my CC. Nevermind that 2 orders I placed after the $75 one are listed as shipped and all my orders used the same CC and that I placed an order (and got the disc) and was charged on 1/15 against the same CC. These orders that have supposedly shippied have Fedex tracking numbers on them (even though I chose regular shipping) and none of the Fedex numbers work. I'm worried about those 2 orders that have supposedly shipped. I'm gonna be very unhappy if I missed out on the titles that I wanted in that $75 order!! I especially enjoyed the way the email about my CC blaims everyone but them for not being able to charge the card blame everyone but them, nevermind our website was MIA for a day!! The reply seemed very much like a cut and paste job to me. Award winning customer service indeed!

Last edited by Phibes; 01-25-02 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-25-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Phibes,

Did you happen to try those numbers at the USPS to see if they were their numbers instead of Fed Ex?

I wonder if Visa might have had alot of complaints against them and not letting them go through.

Starting to sound like Troma from last year. I seem to remember one of the CC companies ended up not letting Troma use their cards anymore. I think it was mastercharge.
Old 01-25-02, 01:11 PM

Nope, not UPS. Number's really an odd one too 100000xxxx on both orders??!!??. USPS doesnt even use a number that short. Really weird. Makes you wonder if its even in the mail.

On the CC : They were accepting charges from them on 1/15. I tried calling the number that DVD express gave in the email they sent me about the authorization and it just rings and rings. Nobody picks up, not even an answering machine.

It just pisses me off that the order that had the majority of the titles that I really wanted has been screwed up. It also was the biggest order I placed so its there loss also I suppose. Especially since the order I placed on the same day(for 1 DVD I didnt see the first time), just later in the day, went through with no problems (well it SAYS it's been shipped, I guess I'll see if it comes in the mail).

Cheers.
Old 01-25-02, 08:26 PM

This is insane!!

My $75 order had one title that was still listed as "pending". So I decided to order that one title on another order using the same CC that they said they could not get authorization from. I placed the order and in a couple of hours I got an invoice and the order changed to shipped. It also has a screwy Fedex number (even though I DID NOT choose Fedex shipping) that is not found on Fedex's site. The title's stock is also at the same number it hasbeen at as well. I also got a response from another CS chowderhead that was a cut and paste job of the same authorization spiel. The only difference this time was that instead of giving a number to call to submit new CC info, it had 2 numbers to fax said info to. I'm not particullarly happy that they have the CC info that they currently have and I'm sure not going to fax them some more.

We'll see if any of these charges show up on my card (as of this evening they're not on my CC's website) or if the DVDs show up.

I emailed the 2nd guy back and asked if these 6 titles (I removed the one that I reordered) were in stock or not. I'm gonna be really pissed if these discs are sitting around and are returned to stock because of all this crap. I'm thinking they're not in stock and this whole runaround of trying the card 3 times is to close the order and not fulfill the shipment.

I was somewhat impressed with them, knowing they had been near death, when I placed orders from their bargain basement on 1/4 and 1/12. The order on the 12th even had stuff listed as backordered, but when I was invoiced for it the order was complete. I did get the discs I ordered in both of those previous orders in a timely fashion.
Old 01-26-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry if this is a double post, but I put this in the Bargains forum, but at this point, it doesn't feel like a bargain, and probably belongs better here in the Store Forum...

(In a nutshell --- I agree that DVD Express doesn't appear very viable...)

-------------------------------------------------------

Their "Tenchi Universe" disc for $4.99 looks tempting, but this thread makes me wonder if I should even bother...

Sure enough, I decided to go for it, made the order, and it said "sorry, can't take your order, our credit card processor is down..."

so of course, now I don't think I have an order in, but since it is right at the order point, I don't feel good about it.