Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

WWF Royal Rumble 2002

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WWF Royal Rumble 2002

I'm lazy so I just c/p'ed the results from Ultimowrestling.com My thoughts to follow...

WWF Royal Rumble - January 20, 2002
Report: WWF.com

WWF Tag Team Titles: Tazz & Spike Dudley vs. The Dudley Boyz
The Dudley Boyz' took the early advantage by using their size and fury to dominate Spike. But Spike Dudley is one tough SOB. He dodged Bubba Ray's suplex attempt and hit his brother with the Dudley Dog! After a bit of Dudley Boyz underhandedness but Spike on his back, D-Von attempted a flying headbutt from the top rope. But Spike rolled out of harm's way and tagged in Tazz! The man from Red Hook evened the score and got some help from his undersized partner. Spike delivered a second Dudley Dog to Bubba Ray! That prompted Stacy to climb the ring apron and distract the referee, but it didn't have the desired effect. Tazz soon locked on the Tazzmission and forced D-Von to tap out! Spike and Tazz left Atlanta with their Tag Team Championship in tact!
Winners: Tazz & Spike

Backstage, Lilian Garcia caught up with Edge. The Intercontinental Champion said that it was fine that William Regal wanted to play dirty. He produced a steel chair and reminded everyone how he broke Regal's nose on it with a Edgecution. If Regal wants to play dirty, Edge said he's up for the challenge.

WWF Intercontinental Title Match: Edge vs. William Regal
Regal got off to a fast start in this match. Regal pounded on Edge, but could only produce a two count for his efforts. Edge rebounded, though, and hit Regal with a unique backdrop. A reciprocal powerbomb from Regal could only put Edge's shoulders to the mat for two seconds. Edge rolled out of the ring and planted Regal face first into the ring apron. Each man lay thoroughly exhausted in the center of the ring. They traded sharp blows after making their way to their feet. Regal attempted to hit the Edgecution, but Regal turned the tables and latched on the Regal Stretch! Edge refused to give in to the pain and finally grasped the rope to break the hold. Once Regal let go, Edge gave his opponent a taste of his own medicine by stretching Regal! Regal made his way to the rope and the action continued. Regal tried to hit a backdrop from the top rope, but Edge pushed him off. Edge followed with a leap off the top rope that stunned winded both men. Edge then went to spear Regal, but Regal pushed the ref into the way to absorb the blow! One down, Regal grabbed brass knuckles and smacked them into Edge! The Intercontinental Championship changed hands as Regal collected the three count.
Winner: William Regal

Michael Cole asked Regal immediately after the match how he could accept the championship. Regal said he was blessed with a powerful punch.

Jackie came to the ring next to serve as the special guest referee for the match between Federation newcomer Jazz and Trish Stratus. This match would take place with the Federation Women's Championship on the line.

WWF Women's Title: Trish vs. Jazz
Trish sported a cast on her left wrist, the result of a brutal attack by Jazz last week. Jazz picked up right where she left off by brutally beating the champion. A sunset flip turned into a Jazz pin attempt, but Trish countered with a pin try of her own. in a remarkable display of agility and quick thinking, each woman took turns rolling the other into a pin. Soon after, Jazz and Jackie got into an argument and they exchanged shoves. Jazz then rolled up Trish into a pin, but Jackie delayed her count, allowing Trish time to recover and kick out. Soon after Trish hit a bulldog and nearly got the win, but Jazz kicked out.

Trish displayed her own toughness by kicking out after a tough DDT from Jazz. Moments later, another Trish bulldog allowed the champ to retain her title!
Winner: Trish

Street Fight: Vince McMahon vs. Ric Flair
A jacked Vince McMahon flexed mightily after shoving Ric Flair to the mat. Flair's technical prowess outshined Vince's muscles early on. He trapped Vince in the corner and delivered a few searing chop shots to his partner's chest. Vince responded by whipping Flair head over heels into the corner and knocking him outside the ring. Vince smashed a street sign over Flair's head repeatedly. With Flair seeing stars, Vince rooted around beneath the ring where he found a garbage can to smack over his partner's head. Vince didn't let up. He threw Flair's bloody face into the ring post and then slammed him to the hard floor. Vince then grabbed a camera from Flair's daughter, sitting at ringside, and began snapping photos of himself with Flair's beaten, bloody face. Once back in the ring, Vince threw on a leg lock. He then smashed the leg repeatedly into the ring post. Vince then went to lock on Flair's own signature Figure Four! Vince executed the move, but Flair refused to tap out. Flair eventually was freed of the move, but Vince wouldn't let up. He went outside the ring and found a lead pipe similar to the one he assaulted Flair with last week. But when he reentered the ring, Flair pounded a low blow onto Vince. The action spread outside the ring with Flair now taking the upper hand. He sprawled Vince out on the ring barrier and proceeded to clear the announce table. Vince tried a counteroffensive but was crushed by a monitor that Flair threw at his head. Flair, bleeding profusely from an earlier wound, threw Vince back into the ring and laughed evilly as Vince begged for mercy. Flair reacted by punching Vince in the head and delivering another low blow! Flair then picked up the lead pipe and cracked it over Vince's skull! Flair followed up with a Figure Four that made Vince scream in agony and made him tap out!
Winner: Ric Flair

Backstage, Michael Cole asked Nick Patrick about the match earlier in the night when Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley interrupted. She said that the beating Vince just took was nothing like what Triple H would do to the 29 other men in the Royal Rumble Match. She said she wished Debra would be at ringside so Stephanie could destroy her. While she was talking smack about Stone Cold, the Texas Rattlesnake snuck up on Stephanie and asked her WHAT!? she was talking about. Stephanie soon fled in fear. Austin said that he would throw every man over the top rope, including Triple H.

WWF Undisputed Championship: Chris Jericho vs. The Rock
The Rock stared down Jericho as the champion talked a whole lot of trash. When the bell rang, The Rock went to attack Jericho, but Y2J held up a stiff hand in a mocking gesture. The Rock's eyes widened as he attacked Jericho, then chased him around the outside of the ring. Jericho asserted himself and took control of the match by working The Rock into the corner and delivering a series of blows. A body press soon after only earned Jericho a two count. With The Rock laying in the ring, Jericho removed the cover off a turnbuckle. He turned his attention back to the Great One and tried to lock on the Walls of Jericho. Jericho then unleashed a tough drop kick off the topo rope and followed with a chin lock. The Rock moved to his feet and countered. He whipped Jericho onto his back and produced a two count. Quicker than a hiccup, Jericho rebounded and leveled Rock with a bulldog. Jericho soon became upset with the referee and the two exchanged stiff shoves. Moments later, The Rock surprised Jericho with a sharpshooter! The Undisputed Champion screamed in pain and began tapping out! But the referee didn't see the action because Christian and Lance Storm came down and offered a distraction. The Rock disposed of the men but found himself falling victim to his own Rock Bottom, delivered by Jericho. That wouldn't be enough to defeat the People's Champion, though. The Rock tossed Y2J threw the ropes and continued an assault outside the ring. Rock began clearing off the Spanish announce table. He grabbed Jericho but was caught off guard and smacked into the hard wooden table. Jericho then mounted the announce table with The Rock in tow. He readied a Rock Bottom but absorbed the move himself when The Rock countered. The action spread back inside the ropes. The Rock went for a Rock Bottom but was turned into the Walls of Jericho! The Rock's face turned red as he howled in pain, but he reached the ropes to break the hold. The Rock nearly took home a win when Jericho turned an inside cradle. Soon after, The Rock sprang off the ropes and tried to launch his body into Jericho but he met the referee instead. Jericho knocked The Rock down and motioned for another referee. Nick Patrick came down and began counting, but only got to two before The Rock kicked out! Patrick was definitely on Jericho's side. The Rock rolled up Y2J in a pin, but Patrick refused to count! The Rock responded with a Rock Bottom to the ref and then with a People's Elbow to Jericho! But there was no referee to count the ensuing pin attempt. The Rock, visibly frustrated, tried to revive Earl Hebner. While he tried to, Jericho hit The Rock with a low blow then pinned The Rock with his feet on the ropes for leverage. Jericho retained his title as Undisputed Champion!
Winner: Chris Jericho

The long-awaited Royal Rumble Match came up next. Riksihi entered the ring as the first competitor. Goldust, a Federation favorite from years back, entered as the second man in the ring. Goldust crawled around the ring and stared at Riksihi. Rikishi got upset and attacked Goldust. Rikishi tossed Goldust over the top rope on two seperate occasions, but each time, Goldust held the top rope and avoided elimination.

The final moments of the Royal Rumble ticked down with Kurt Angle, Mr. Perfect and Triple H in the ring. Angle tossed Mr. Perfect over the top rope, but he hung on and stayed alive. Mr. Perfect delivered a Perfect Plex to Angle but was eliminated by Triple H shortly after.

Angle pushed Triple H over the top rope with a great deal of effort, but The Game caught his balance on the ring apron and stayed in the fight. Moments later, Angle hoisted Triple H over the ropes again but The Game again pulled himself back in contention. Angle, though, began celebrating. Triple H surprised Angle and tossed the Olympic Hero over the ropes to win the 2001 Royal Rumble!

Entered Eliminated
Rikishi 1 Big Bossman
Goldust 2 Lance Storm
Big Bossman 3 Bradshaw
Bradshaw 4 Goldust
Lance Storm 5 Al Snow
Al Snow 6 Rikishi
Billy Gunn 7 Billy Gunn
Undertaker 8 Jeff Hardy
Matt Hardy 9 Matt Hardy
Jeff Hardy 10 Undertaker
Maven 11 Maven
Scotty 2 Hotty 12 Scotty 2 Hotty
Christian 13 DDP
DDP 14 Albert
Chuck Palumbo 15 The Godfather
The Godfather 16 Christian
Albert 17 Chuck Palumbo
Perry Saturn 18 Perry Saturn
Stone Cold 19 Val Venis
Val Venis 20 Test
Test 21 The Hurricane
Triple H 22 Faarooq
The Hurricane 23 Big Show
Faarooq 24 Kane
Mr. Perfect 25 Booker T
Kurt Angle 26 RVD
Big Show 27 Stone Cold
Kane 28 Mr. Perfect
RVD 29 Kurt Angle
Booker T 30
Old 01-21-02, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WWF Tag Team Titles: Tazz & Spike Dudley vs. The Dudley Boyz
I didn't really pay attention to this match but it's good to see Tazz with some hardware around his waist.

WWF Intercontinental Title Match: Edge vs. William Regal
Solid match. Great stuff by Lawler at the beginning of the match after Patrick found the brass knucks in Regals trunks. It was interesting to see both men seemingly trying to break each other noses...at least that's the way it seemed to me. Key highlight: Regal's suplex on Edge, landing him practically on his face.

WWF Women's Title: Trish vs. Jazz
Didn't pay much attention to this one but nice ref's outfit on Jackie.

Street Fight: Vince McMahon vs. Ric Flair
Vince looked great for a man of his age. He either hits the gym each day or the needle each day. I wonder why David Flair didn't come with the Flair family. Oh well...didn't catch much of this one either (nephew was over making noise and it was dinner time). Nice to see Flair stick it to Vince.

WWF Undisputed Championship: Chris Jericho vs. The Rock
Solid match even though I pretty much knew that Jericho would win. It's good to see the WWF attempting to solidify Jericho as a main eventer. I love Jericho's version of the People's Elbow...great stuff.

Royal Rumble Match
A solid, unspectacular RR match. I kept on waiting for some kind of surprise to occur, like Kevin Nash debuting or something. I was thinking this because since Maven wasn't technically eliminated the WWF would name a replacement for him...but we all know that didn't happen.

I'd personally like to see Goldust stick around. I don't know how he'd fit in but he's still good TV, IMO. Val Venis looked huge should be a threat to the IC Title somewhere down the line. Was I the only one who found some joy in seeing Mr. Perfect and Triple H in the same ring? That brought back memories of the "Perfect Plan" when Perfect helped Triple H beat Marc Mero for the IC Title. Speaking of Mr. Perfect I was surprised he lasted as long as he did in the Rumble. He's still Perfect at slapping his gum away after all these years. That was impressive seeing as he was in the ropes with 2 other guys.

I'm glad the Hardys are back because that means Lita is back. Her outfit just made me want to say "damn"...and it did. The whole segment with the Undertaker was entertaining. Let's see he cleared the ring, rekindled his feud with the Hardys, got knocked out of the RR by Maven and beat the living snot out of Maven (that was a wicked chairshot). Other things I was impressed by: Kane throwing Big Show out , RVD's 5 Star Frog Splash on Angle, Godfather's 12 "ladies" , Triple H's entrance, and The Hurricane's "domination" of Triple H and Austin.

Final thoughts:
A solid PPV, 3 out of 5 stars. There wasn't anything too spectacular or a memory for the ages but it was solid entertainment. The RR match was very entertaining with the return of former WWF stars, mini stories, and a good climax/finish. Hopefully Raw will have some surprises because I was wanting some on this PPV.
Old 01-21-02, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
great rundown dancinns

i missed the first hour of the rumble due to satelite troubles at the bar i was in - a quick change to a new bar and i came inat the end of the flair match - i agree with pretty much everything you said and it was great seeing kurt henning again and it was nice that they let him last as long as he did - i had completly forgotten the perfect plan

did you happen to catch the goldust segment after the show went off the air where he gave a speech about coming back to get revenge for one who did him wrong years and years ago? - interesting stuff - it looks like he is back to stay
Old 01-21-02, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was watching on PPV on a BUD (Big Ugly Dish aka 4DTV/C-Band satellite) and after the PPV was over they went to the "Royal Rumble beings in 15 minutes" screen.

Interesting note about Goldust. I'm all up for his return if it means something will happen on Raw and Smackdown because I don't know how many more Raws I can take if they're like last week's snooze-fest.
Old 01-21-02, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read the play by play at a wrestling site but I'm confused about something.

Did Maven go over the ropes??? I know the Undertaker came back in after Maven eliminated him, and beat him up, but if Maven didn't go over the ropes, he's still in the rumble right? I dont remember reading he went over them. I was hoping that he'd come back in somehow and beat HHH.
Old 01-21-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was my first PPV WWF event...

My freinds and i were also hoping maven would hop back in towards the end just to be OFFICIALLY eliminated. He went OVER the ropes, but he was tossed out by someone already eliminated. Maybe they screwed up the move and he was supposed to go through and not over.
Old 01-21-02, 11:34 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
in past RR, people have been eliminated by those who have already been eliminated. don't know why that works but i guess as long as you go over the ropes and both feet touch the ground one way or another, you're gone.

*edit* hmm, now that i'm reading up, the incident i was thinking about was when Hogan grabbed Sid Justice from the outside and pulled him out. however, looks like hogan just grabbed Justice's arm from the outside and tried to pull him out. Flair, who's still a legal man in, takes advantage and throws Justice out (Royal Rumble, 1992).

--HN

Last edited by HN; 01-21-02 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-21-02, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by IdgIe49
I read the play by play at a wrestling site but I'm confused about something.

Did Maven go over the ropes??? I know the Undertaker came back in after Maven eliminated him, and beat him up, but if Maven didn't go over the ropes, he's still in the rumble right? I dont remember reading he went over them. I was hoping that he'd come back in somehow and beat HHH.
Maven was indeed thrown over the top rope by Undertaker, but after UT was elimanated....they never really addressed whether he was in/out.

I was hoping he'd come back and knock HHH out...not because I wanted him to win, but that would of been something unexpected.
Old 01-21-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can dive over the top rope on your own volition, I would think getting pulled over by an eliminated contestant is an extension of that.

das
Old 01-21-02, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing he wasn't eliminated, because Ross and Lawler said several times (when UT was destroying Maven near the concession stands) that he was never eliminated, but that he was in no condition to come back (or something to that effect)...

I'm willing to bet that Jericho uses this as an angle ("I'd like to congratulate the winner of Royal Rumble, and my opponent at WrestleMania.... Maven!")
Old 01-21-02, 12:26 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by WildcatLH

I'm willing to bet that Jericho uses this as an angle ("I'd like to congratulate the winner of Royal Rumble, and my opponent at WrestleMania.... Maven!")
Shortly after, an extra match is added to tonight's Raw where HHH beats Maven to a pulp to decide the true #1 contender at Wrestlemania

--HN
Old 01-21-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally posted by HN

Shortly after, an extra match is added to tonight's Raw where HHH beats Maven to a pulp to decide the true #1 contender at Wrestlemania

--HN

'what about me? what about maven?'
Old 01-21-02, 01:55 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

That was quite a chair smack to the head Maven took. Ouch. And yes he really should still be in the running as he wasn't eliminated from the RR. 10 to 1 this gets addressed on Raw tonight.

I wasn't happy to see any of the returning wrestlers (Gold Dust, Mr Perfect, Godfather etc) as they always bored me.

And will someone give HHH a new entrance please? I'm tired of the bottled water routine
Old 01-21-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm surprised no one has done this yet:

"What?"

Seriously, I'm really glad Jericho retained. And I'm really glad Austin didn't win, I'm sick of him being invincible. I was pecpecting Maven to come back, but I knew there was no way he'd win. Hurriane's attempted chokeslam was cool.

I'm waiting for Benoit to come back so he, Lance Storm and Jericho can form their dungeon stable.
Old 01-22-02, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Crazy Aoshi
I'm waiting for Benoit to come back so he, Lance Storm and Jericho can form their dungeon stable.
If I could be serious for a minute, that would rule in so many ways. The WWF needs to get some stables going again. There's nothing like a group of guys kicking everyone's arse...reminds me of the days of the Four Horsemen, Hart Foundation, DX, nWo, etc.